Contributing to both TSP and 401(k)

cons

Recycles dryer sheets
Somewhat of a unique situation but it's the first time I have ever come across this so I figured I'd pose the question to the group. My question is in regards to being able to fund your TSP AND a 401(k) from a different employer. I understand the TSP and 401(k) are essentially the same. Just curious about tax implications if I max both accounts and the max on the amount that can be matched.

I'm currently a federal employee and planning to put in my retirement paperwork in about 4 years. I have been contributing the max to my TSP and ROTH IRAs for the past 20+ years. I was recently approached by a former colleague of mine that works for a contractor, who wants to offer me a part-time consulting gig. Two days a week, no traveling involved, all work from home, with the occasional visit to headquarters once a quarter. The salary (low six figures) and 401k match (around $30k yearly) is hard to pass up. The intent is to do this consulting gig for the next few years to supplement my retirement savings. I have looked into the 401k plan which is administered my Charles Schwab, and they have all the Vanguard Index funds available in it.

I would continue to max out my TSP ($22.5k this year) that has a $10k match. The minimum contribution required to get the $30k max match from the new employer is only $4k for the year.

As far as the IRS and taxes are concerned, I would have to either withdraw the excess contribution of $4k or pay a penalty on this excess contribution, is that correct?

Also, what about the taxes on the employer match, is there is a combined max that employers can match towards your 401(k)? This includes employer non-elective and employer matching. In my case, it would end up being about $40k total (TSP and 401k). What if you go over that max match limit, are there penalties? I have searched the IRS site, but all I could find was IRC 415c which talks about excess deferrals. So I'm unsure if I'm looking at the correct tax code.

Additionally, I have already spoken to the prospective employer and there is no way of getting the match added to my salary, it is separate and is part of their company retirement plan.

Thanks for any help :)

I'm in a similar situation with two jobs and contribute to both the TSP and my 2nd jobs 401k. Since they are both 401ks, the IRS limit is applicable.

"As far as the IRS and taxes are concerned, I would have to either withdraw the excess contribution of $4k or pay a penalty on this excess contribution, is that correct?"

Yes, that is my understanding. Link below provides guidance.

"I would continue to max out my TSP ($22.5k this year) that has a $10k match."

Why would you contribute more than the amount required to get the 5% match? Don't forget the TSP only matches up to 5%, so your contributions above that amount don't get anything from the matching perspective. For example, I'm at the top of the GS scale so a larger salary and any TSP contribution above $10k isn't matched.

I reduced my contributions to my TSP in order to gain the (better) match from the 401k job.

"Also, what about the taxes on the employer match, is there is a combined max that employers can match towards your 401(k)?"

Since it appears you are under 50, your combined IRS limits towards all 401k contributions is $66k. Link is below:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plan...k-and-profit-sharing-plan-contribution-limits

Thanks for the reply Paulz!

Seems like reducing my TSP contribution by 4k will keep me fom having any excess contributions. Makes sense to do that. Thanks for the link as that confirms my total from contributions and matching should keep me under the 66k threshold as well.

The big thing is to make sure the government approves of you having a second job.

How are you getting a 10K match on your TSP? TSP matches 5%. You get paid 200K by uncle Sam? GS-15's here with the DC location bump aren't making that.

Back
Top Bottom