job choice

update:

I called my agent. He was outraged. After twenty minutes explosion, he said he will not inform the company himself. He wanted me to inform the company.

Do I need call the HR or the hiring manager?

So hard to say no. :-[

How should I inform HR? A better opportuinity I could not pass away? or just say I could not do it?

semtex said:
update:

I called my agent. He was outraged.

Translation: The agent already spent the commission.

Tell HR that something personal came up and you can't take the position. End of story. Just don't let it contradict what you told your agent.

Reason # 874 of why I hate dealing with headhunters...

Semtex, you don't owe them or your agent anything. Tell them for personal reasons you had to make the decision you did. Move on. End of story. Reputation is important, but I don't think anyone could fault you for changing your mind one day after you mailed in an acceptance. In finance especially, sometimes you have to be a shark.

Far better to change your name now than weeks hence. They can easily go back to the pool and contact their second choice.

It happens more often than you know.

today my agent called me back and said the Ibank will match the other side offer plus 10k sign in bonus. I replied it not about the money and turned it down.

But after the conversation, I realized maybe I did sell myself cheap. I will never find it out if the second offer not pop up.

semtex said:
today my agent called me back and said the Ibank will match the other side offer plus 10k sign in bonus. I replied it not about the money and turned it down.

But after the conversation, I realized maybe I did sell myself cheap. I will never find it out if the second offer not pop up.

Eh, don't let it get to you. At most hedge funds, all of the "juice" in the compensation structure is in the bonus, which they wouldn't guarantee anyway. Usually they cannot afford to put out big base salaries due to their revenue structure, so I'm not sure you would have gotten much/anything more by shaking the tree.

I did not make it clear. What I mean is the Ibank offer, for agent asked me what the hedge fund offered me, 100k or 110k? He said the Ibank would like to match the offer with 10k sign in bonus.

If the hedge fund offer not pop up, I will start in three weeks and think I get a nice offer at IBank. So difference is 95K : 110K+10k sign in.

Uhuh, but the offer from the hedge fund includes potentially a much bigger bonus. Not that hard to make up the pay differential very quickly at the fund if it does well.

I always accept the first offer and assume they give me a fair treatment. But 95k : 110k +10ksignin, from my view the difference just too big. Like what I did before is a mistake.

semtex said:
I always accept the first offer and assume they give me a fair treatment. But 95k : 110k +10ksignin, from my view the difference just too big. Like what I did before is a mistake.

I don't agree, since (as you said) its not really about the money. But why torture yourself? What is done is done and you have an interesting new job ahead of you that should give you lots of great and marketable experience in a new field.

In fact I am thinking about my compensation at my current employer. I may got at least 20% higher if I gave it some push. That's a big mistake.

I have been working at my current employer for about one year. Trading floor spreadsheet developer. Average working hours are 10.5 hour/day. Last year bonus 10% with rediculous low base :'(

Whatever, I am very happy with the new job. But I would do some negotiation in my next job hunting.

brewer12345:

You may misunderstand me. The 95K is the original Ibank offer. Now it jumped to 110K + 10k signin.

So I am comparing the IBank original offer with the match up offer. It is 95K : 110K+10k signin. The range is kind of big. So conclusion is when the employer gives out the first offer, they may give a better one(in this case 15% higher) if you know how to negotiate.

Today my agent called again. This time a senior manager at IBank, reporting to CIO directly, wants to talk to me.

What happened? Five years ago, I would like to take whatever job, as long as it allows me to write code. Five years later, ...

The late 90s back?

I know there are some very experienced guys in the board. Please help me on this:
In the hedge fund, my main task is to prepare the data for trader/structurer, building trading/risk mamangement system with trader/risk manager. Since it is a small company, I may grab all ths skills/knowledge in three or four years.
But what's next?
Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom