Just filed my Federal tax return

I am still waiting for all the 1099s to arrive. I seem to always have to wait until at least mid February or later every year. Not much of a problem since I always hold back a little on my quarterly payments so I owe a few dollars more. I don't like to wait for refunds. They can wait for my payment.

Cheers!

Wonder why the NC forms are late this year? I have never known NC to be late

Late-in-Calendar Approval of State Budget to Impact Upcoming Tax Season

This delay is due to the late approval of the state budget, which included multiple tax law changes. The later start date allows NCDOR time to complete the testing of system updates and approve updates in commercial tax preparation software, which are required to implement changes made by the final budget enacted in late November 2021.

Is it required that you actually have the 1099's in hand when you file? I do have all mine, but, as I have done in the past, I predicted exactly what they would look like just based on my knowledge of the accounts as of 12/31, and I was 100% on the money. So I could have filed without the 1099s in hand. I have always waited on them, just in case I am wrong, but it just struck me that I don't know if that is an actual requirement.

Wonder why the NC forms are late this year? I have never known NC to be late

I didn’t even notice. I don’t know why this matters but I wish they’d call the form 1040-NC or similar.

I just got a summary from PayPal about crypto transactions in 2021 (not much). I was wondering about those.

Is it required that you actually have the 1099's in hand when you file? I do have all mine, but, as I have done in the past, I predicted exactly what they would look like just based on my knowledge of the accounts as of 12/31, and I was 100% on the money. So I could have filed without the 1099s in hand. I have always waited on them, just in case I am wrong, but it just struck me that I don't know if that is an actual requirement.

You can file without the 1099s, but if your numbers don't match what was reported to the IRS, that can kick your return out of the automated system and delay processing.

We always have to wait until March to get the final numbers on our international funds and REIT. They issue a 1099 in Feb as required, but they end up reclassifying some gains from short- to long-term if we just wait another month before filing.

Many of the numbers shown in a 1099 are also shown in an annual account statement, with no chance of any deviation. If that is all I care about, then I wouldn't wait for the 1099. But, often there is some small difference, or at least a possible unknown difference between an annual account statement and a 1099, as is the case with me. So, I have to wait for the 1099 to come out. It sux sometimes.

It's still loaded into government computers/servers (that are probably contracted out) and we all know they NEVER get hacked.

And the data entry clerks, NEVER make a typo :facepalm:

I do e-file all the time now, as there are too many points in time for the paper return to be lost or screwed up.

Around here mailboxes are being broken into/unlocked and mail is stolen.

Filed mine electronically yesterday through my tax person. And mailed in a check. Printed the 1099's on line. As they are slow to show up.
Hope things stay about the same tax wise in the future. As I am very happy with the current tax situation. But am afraid of this build back better thing. As it seems like an excuse to generate more $$$ for the govt. I went to H&R Block 1x. Never again. :eek:)

Downloaded my Vanguard 1099-B to TurboTax around 10AM. Finished my return, transmitted at 11:30, and accepted at 12:00. AZ hasn't finalized some forms, which I will snail mail.

:facepalm: And today we got a 1099-INT from Cap One, that didn't show up on Ms G's one line tax docs. Luckily I haven't sent in my AZ 140.

We have to wait until March to get our statements. Last year our CPA made two mistakes that I caught and he filed an amended return immediately. That was the beginning of March. Got our refund in Sept!

i always make sure that there will never be a refund. No issue filing the last week and mailing a check. Their bureaucratic failures are their problem, not mine. I would love to go back to the 70's before the Vietnam War and eliminate withholding entirely, the way way it used to be.

I have 2 MLP positions that are usually right at the deadline. My accountant always files for extensions... so his final date is in October. I am beginning to see the merit of extension and file in the fall.

I’m stuck arguing for a corrected 1099-R from a small Roth401k distribution that listed about 2/3 of the distribution as “taxable”. I’m 64 and I’ve had the Roth in my company 401k way more than the five years required for a qualified distribution. I was managing our MAGI for ACA reasons so drew a small down payment for a new SUV.
Plan administrator in first contact just said yeah it’s taxable because it’s in Box 2a. Duh that’s the mistake I’m trying to fix so had to elevate the ticket.
Has anyone else had a Roth 401k or IRA distribution listed as partially taxable?

Last year I filed asap..like about this time, last year. I got my refund in 4 days. this year, I owe, so of course I'll file at last minute.

I’m stuck arguing for a corrected 1099-R from a small Roth401k distribution that listed about 2/3 of the distribution as “taxable”. I’m 64 and I’ve had the Roth in my company 401k way more than the five years required for a qualified distribution. I was managing our MAGI for ACA reasons so drew a small down payment for a new SUV.
Plan administrator in first contact just said yeah it’s taxable because it’s in Box 2a. Duh that’s the mistake I’m trying to fix so had to elevate the ticket.
Has anyone else had a Roth 401k or IRA distribution listed as partially taxable?

I think the rules may be different for Roth 401(k)s compared to Roth IRAs in terms of the requirements for a qualified distribution. Your custodian may be right; I'm not sure.

I can't even complete my return until 2/18 bc of trades in my brokerage. Thats when Schwab said my 1099 composite could be downloaded

Last year I filed asap..like about this time, last year. I got my refund in 4 days. this year, I owe, so of course I'll file at last minute.

You can file now and pay on 4/15. I always try to file early to avoid someone fraudulently filing a return in my name.

Still waiting…

Today, 1/27, I electronically filed my Federal Income Tax return through H&R Block. Last year it took an insane amount of time to get my refund. Am curious to see how long this one takes. An an emial that said it was accepted.
😂Filed an amended return in 2017 for 2014. Received mail from IRS in 2018 that they owed me mid 5 figures. Then no check… engaged tax advocate office and filed lots of paperwork, extensions, etc. still waiting…. Horrible experience.

Finally back to getting a sizeable return after retiring. Most of it was because I fell out of the 3rd stimulus cutoff based on last year, but I didn't work a full year this time, and qualified based on this year.

I used FreetaxUSA, and live in a no income tax state for now, so it was free. After I move closer to my parents my income will be low enough to qualify for a free tax return even in an income tax state.

Last edited:
Finally back to getting a sizeable return after retiring. Most of it was because I fell out of the 3rd stimulus cutoff based on last year, but I didn't work a full year this time, and qualified based on this year.

I used FreetaxUSA, and live in a no income tax state for now, so it was free. After I move closer to my parents my income will be low enough to qualify for a free tax return even in an income tax state.

I thought free tax returns were based on the income level and not on which state a person lives in.

FreetaxUSA is missing out on making money if a person can live in Texas, earn a few million dollars and get their tax return done for free :cool:

Perhaps your distribution includes the company match portion which is taxable.

I won't even consider snail mail given the IRS problems managing paper during the pandemic.

We mailed our payment last year, after several calls, and several excuses, we get an updated bill with added interest.... We cancelled the check and made the payment online, of course they wouldn't reverse the fine. Check has never made it back yet....

I filed our federal tax return today on Turbo Tax, got fed approval in less than an hour. I owe so I will pay that later. Can't file state yet since some forms not available. I always try to file early to prevent some bad guy from filing under my name and number before I do.

I waited forever to get my federal tax refund last year, so this year I made sure to owe. So I did my taxes last weekend and I'll owe about $8000. Instead of sending in a paper check that the IRS may lose, with my paper return, can I just pay electronically via EFTPS the same way I make quarterly payments?

I just filed both fed and state returns electronically via OLT.com. This was my 7th year using OLT.com. Our fed refund is $980.00. We are in the zero tax bracket but are receiving a refund because of the earned income tax credit. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom