Just filed my Federal tax return

I slogged through the 1040 on free fillable tax forms, and came up with owing 1309.
That is a number I can live with!
My wife's work seems to never withhold enough, and many years I will have several employers and they also would not withhold enough. I would usually have to write a check that approached penalty levels.
My current employer, I can walk in to the office and she brings up the payroll app, and I can choose fixed amounts or percentages. I did that last year and guessed pretty darn close :)
The W-4 formulation never did cut it.
That's half the story. I e-filed this morning and lo and behold, they accepted it the first time. I would always make some bonehead mistake somewhere and get a reject.

We had a year a while back where they claimed we owed more $$. I called and they said I hadn’t sent in a copy of 1099-R from Army retirement so they assumed I had no withholding. Strange they knew about the income block but not withholding block on same piece of paper. I sent in another copy and it was cleared up.

It's magic how when they are missing a piece of paper they don't tell us, you paid too much tax as we can't find the proof of the income.
Only proof of deduction or tax paid counts... :facepalm:

Years ago I had IL cut my refund until I sent another copy of the tax paid on the IL Unemployment income.

You might think the State dept withholding income tax would tell the other department about the withheld tax, but No.... :facepalm:

OK, we finally e-filed!

Last time it only took about 15 minutes to get the return accepted by the IRS.

Same this time. Already accepted!

Last edited:
Yes, we e-filed today with H & R Block and files accepted in 5 minutes
We underpaid this year.....so we owe more $$ than planned.

We have to mail in a form. Thank goodness we don’t have to mail in the entire return!

Form 8453 U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return. An acknowledgment from a charity of a non-cash donation we made.

Took less than an hour for the Fed e-file to be accepted.

Yesterday I went to BJ's to buy copy paper. Last time I purchased it was 8 reams for something like $30.00. It was so long ago I don't recall where I bought it.

Three reams of 18# copy paper was $15.99. I have a good amount of laser paper if I need better quality.

Today my focus is on mailing the state return, so a trip to the post office.

We e-filed our returns on 3/27 and fed and state both accepted that night.

Online checking account shows Tax Refund ACH 2 days early this morning. It will probably be awhile before we receive the state refund.

We filed yesterday 3/31.I was thinking this would be the last year of dealing with K1 from my former company. Everything was sold when I retired and I would sell the units each year as they vested. Low and behold I got a surprise bonus at the first of part of March. The company that bought the company I worked for vested some units that I thought were forfeited. I received a couple of distribution checks and sold the units. Taxes were with held including SS for the distribution and units. So one more year of K1, but since Now I have earned income I’ll contribute to my Roth IRA this year. I’ll live with the pain of the K1 for one more year.

Back
Top Bottom