Late federal refund?

mistermike40

Recycles dryer sheets
I received emails on February 23rd stating my federal return was accepted, and my refund was "on the way" (per H&R Block). I checked again today... still nothing in my bank account, and irs.gov says my return is still being processed.

I understand with Covid, stimulus checks, etc they are behind on many returns. Has anyone else had theirs delayed this long (six weeks)?

I received emails on February 23rd stating my federal return was accepted, and my refund was "on the way" (per H&R Block). I checked again today... still nothing in my bank account, and irs.gov says my return is still being processed.

I understand with Covid, stimulus checks, etc they are behind on many returns. Has anyone else had theirs delayed this long (six weeks)?

I assume you submitted it electronically? It sounds like you did, but just wanted to be sure. If so, yes, that's a long time to have not received your refund yet. It could indicate they found something that needed to be looked at by a human for some reason.

I sent mine in electronically on March 20th and the IRS.gov "Where's my Refund" tool says my refund will be deposited on April 7th. So a processing time of a little less than 3 weeks.

Same here, submitted electronically 3-8 and have an "accepted" return email, but no refund yet. I have a feeling it's due to a refund this year, when we have been paying the past several years, so they are giving it a good look over :-/.
It will arrive when it does.....
Thankfully, I don't need the money for anything urgent.

I'm still waiting on my refund for 2019, mailed March of 2020. In November I got a notice I was missing a form which I mailed the next day. When I called a couple of weeks ago, I was told it's still on hold but they couldn't explain why.

I'm getting the feeling IRS is going to need a do over...they have gotten so far behind due to Covid closings and staffing levels that I don't think they can ever get caught up to real time.

It's pretty messy...

Thanks for the replies. I did file electronically (as I've done for the past 10-15 years) using H&R Block Deluxe. I don't need the money, but I don't want to forget about it either.

In the February 23rd email it said my return would be deposited in 3-5 business days. Granted, it was from H&R Block and not the IRS. I owed money to the state this year... of course they collected that amount on the exact target date.

I'm thinking the delay might be due to my wife moving into an out-of-state nursing facility in 2020. It didn't have a significant effect on our federal return, but since it's a new condition they might be looking at our return more closely. Everything else is pretty straightforward, so I'm not concerned if they decide to audit (though I've never gone through one before and prefer to keep it that way).

Also still waiting. Large refund due to no RMD, lower income from wife's business, etc. Then since we fell below the stimulus threshold, we got the full backdated stimulus. Also, filed return before an unexpected 1099-DIV came in, only a trivial amount, but another reason for the IRS to want to take a closer look.

I suppose we'll get the money eventually ...

I assume you submitted it electronically? It sounds like you did, but just wanted to be sure. If so, yes, that's a long time to have not received your refund yet. It could indicate they found something that needed to be looked at by a human for some reason.

I sent mine in electronically on March 20th and the IRS.gov "Where's my Refund" tool says my refund will be deposited on April 7th. So a processing time of a little less than 3 weeks.

I filed electronically around March 20 also and recieved my refund about a week later.

we efiled February 18th and still have not gotten our refund. Our return was pretty simple. Mostly roth conversions. Wouldn't have gotten a return at all except you guys made me realize I could have an HSA even though I have no W2 income. Might be delayed because this is the first year of full retirement for us and a lot of change from previous working years. IRS web site says my return is "processing". It's going to be a real bummer to have to pay my 1st quarter 2021 estimated tax payment while the IRS still owes me money.

Last edited:
Still Waiting

We filed and it was accepted on February 21. Current status is "Being processed". I filed electronically with TurboTax just as I have for the last 10 years. Our return is simple. The only thing different for 2020 was that I didn't take an RMD so the total income was much lower. I guess I just have to wait.

Me too

I filed electronically through H&R Block and received notification of 2/17 that my Federal return was accepted. Every time I check status of my return it says "Being processed". I am due a return somewhat larger than most years, but, I honestly did not cheat one iota, so I don't know what the heck they are looking at.

H&R Block desktop software submitted return on March 23 and it was IRS accepted about 10 minutes later. Perhaps Friday last week (April 2), IRS website showed refund Approved. Today, is shows refund Sent and my bank account reflects the deposit.

Using TT, filed our taxes electronically and they were accepted by the IRS on Feb 18th. Checked IRS site for Where's my Refund and Where's my Payment -- state return/payment is being processed. We moved in 2020 from MD to Florida, maybe that's the fly in the ointment.

For tax year 2019, we mailed our estimated tax payments, the IRS received the payments, however, one did not get applied to our taxes. So the IRS has the payment, but cannot apply it to our taxes. They said sorry, but the stimulus 1 & 2 payments are a priority. You'll get your money -- just can't tell you when. So they docked our tax refund for the payment that was not applied. We finally received a payment from the IRS in November, 8 months later.

I really think there needs to be a flat tax, simplify the tax code and make the IRS more efficient.

Filed on paper February 23, probably got there near end of February. IRS refund status site still does not show anything, and just gives the generic message refunds may take six weeks to process. Gee, thanks.

Update

I filed electronically through H&R Block and received notification of 2/17 that my Federal return was accepted. Every time I check status of my return it says "Being processed". I am due a return somewhat larger than most years, but, I honestly did not cheat one iota, so I don't know what the heck they are looking at.

Today, April 23, I was notified that my Federal return would be deposited in my account on April 27th.

Filed federal return on paper mailed in to IRS on February 23.

IRS Refund Status page kept showing "no record of your return--check back later". Finally, yesterday, two months after I mailed it, the IRS status page finally changed and now says "Return still in processing."

So now I know they have the return, and have started it in their processing routine. But I still have to "check back later" for any prediction of when I might expect my direct deposit of my refund!

Filed electronically (TT) March 14 and it was accepted fast. No refund yet - large over $5K, including stimulus. And IRS2GO says "still processing"

We filed Feb. 12 and still no refund. I get the message that it's being processed. It's a fairly large amount.

Mailed in return with check April 5. Check was cashed April 16, so not all processing is slow.
They will normally cash the checks fairly quickly. The paper returns will macerate for quite a while yet.

Debit payments seem to have an issue with the efile system as the DD payments due are not being processed timely. Debits via EFTPS and Direct pay seem to be doing fine so it looks like an issue with the Modified Efile System.

I am still waiting for my mom's refund for her 2019 tax return!!!

Just checked and get the 'we are still processing' BS...

It is her final return and they did send it back for a signature, but that was late last year...

It's been over a month since my return was e-filed, but no refund yet, and no update on the refund status website, either. I thought things would go faster this year compared to last year, but maybe not.

Finally approved

Good News. I just checked "Where's my refund" and it says that the refund has been approved and issued. It should hit my bank on 5/19. It was accepted on February 21 so it took three months. Apparently it was flagged for identity fraud.

Back
Top Bottom