LBYM in ER

While we're on the subject of tipping....

Disclaimer: I've never had a job where I worked for tips, so this is speculation. Perhaps someone can confirm it for me.

It occurred to me that a waitperson at a low-cost (diner, family restaurant, etc.) restaurant is going to have to work a lot more tables (and probably a lot harder, too) to make $100 in tips, as compared to someone at a high-end restaurant.

Also, from what I've observed, a lot of the ladies (they always seem to be ladies for some odd reason) at the low-cost restaurants just seem to be 'down on their luck' a bit more that the servers I've seen at the mid-priced and high-end restaurants. Therefore, I always try to tip them close to 50%, which isn't all that much as the food is relatively inexpensive.

omni
Wow, I am sure they love to see you coming in the door! At the other end, I think that the male bartenders at nice resaurants and upscale hotels make pretty good money. One guy in a hotel I frequent goes ski-ing frequently, another guy has raised 2 kids with a non-jobholding wife. He had to economize- like no car, but he lives in the city and works downtown so it is possible.

Ha

I think that the male bartenders at nice resaurants and upscale hotels make pretty good money. One guy I in a hotel I frequent goes ski-ing frequently, another guy has raised 2 kids with a non-jobholding wife. He had to economize- like no car, but he lives in the city and works downtown so it is possible.

Ha

Yup. I recall learning that the Maître D and other wait-staff typically earn six figures at the better places in NYC. Probably the same deal in other large cities.

Then again, the shoe shine guy who worked the trading floor where I used to work drove a Mercedes S Class. Serving folks who make big money can be very lucrative.

Also, from what I've observed, a lot of the ladies (they always seem to be ladies for some odd reason) at the low-cost restaurants just seem to be 'down on their luck' a bit more that the servers I've seen at the mid-priced and high-end restaurants. Therefore, I always try to tip them close to 50%, which isn't all that much as the food is relatively inexpensive.

We usually don't tip less than $3-$4, even when we split a sandwich between the two of us for $8-$10 total. The waitress at a low cost restaurant has to earn a living, too.

Last edited:
Yes we will spend principle. But for us, it is not a simple answer.

We have a pension, SS x 2 and intend to buy a SPIA. Each will be available at different times in our life.

We will spend more in the early FIRE years than in later years.

Usually your memory is great but not on this one .
It was definitely not me . I am usually frugal but never cheap and sometimes very very generous ! I do remember that it was posted by one of our regular females but it was not me or Khan .
My apology. I should not have made the attribution to anyone if I was not sure. However, I never meant that either you or Khan were "cheap". Far from it.

If I remember correctly, the author of the now lost quote meant that one should not be so frugal to the point of "soul pinching". I would go further to say that if one applies Andrew Tobias's philosophy of being frugal with oneself but never to cheat anyone else, then there is no "soul pinching" with any level of frugality. If one simply does not feel the need for certain materialistic things, then why buy it just to show that one can afford it?

Yes we will spend principle...
I will spend principal, but certainly not principle. The latter is "soul pinching".

Sorry, I could not resist. Heh heh heh...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I made a post here, or so I thought.

When I revisited this thread, it's gone. Was it my imagination that I made the post, or was it deleted by moderation?

If so, I would like to know what I said wrong.

Hmm... I made a post here, or so I thought.

When I revisited this thread, it's gone. Was it my imagination that I made the post, or was it deleted by moderation?

If so, I would like to know what I said wrong.
The site flaked out on me earlier today in the middle of typing in a reply to a different thread. Amazingly, it did appear, however missing sentences I know I typed in. I was able to edit it and finish the post.
Doo dooo dooo dooooooo...:whistle:

That is wonderful! It put an idea into my head to do the same thing the next time I see a waiter or waitress who might be up against it. How do you tell? Maybe by their age, the look on their face or conversation. Actually we generally go 20% but many times this isn't enough and I can tell by the check total. We stick to 20% regardless, but your post changed my thinking. Thanks for the "tip"!

She seemed harried, appeared to be ethnic(stong accent), mature(ie not a student). She just had that "down" look.

MT, are you may aware that there are alternatives between the two costs you mention above? Many privately and some publicly owned parks in the southern US offer very affordable monthly rates, usually catering to snowbirds. Most, but not all, charge you separately for electricity and may limit how many months you can stay. Here are a couple of examples:

$395/mo including electricity (available Sept 1 - March 31 only)
$275/mo plus electricity (includes cable tv and wireless internet)

While these two are in "touristy" areas, you can get an even better deal if you're willing/prefer living out in the sticks:

$200/mo plus electricity (includes all the quiet you can stand)

I figured that there would be different kinds of deals available, depending on location and length of stay. To do much research on specific parks at this point though would be getting ahead of myself. Plenty of time for that when I'm shut up in the RV on a rainy day with nothing other than my cat and an internet connection for company!

Okay - here's another tipping post. If I go to a restauarnt with a walk up counter (Chipotle, Sweet Tomatoes (salad bar), etc.) I save a 20% tip. Is that cheap or frugal:cool:?

Okay - here's another tipping post. If I go to a restauarnt with a walk up counter (Chipotle, Sweet Tomatoes (salad bar), etc.) I save a 20% tip. Is that cheap or frugal:cool:?
To me it's frugal. I assume that the walk-up counter is there because some of their patrons want it, so you are certainly OK to make use of it.

I hated to see the old cafeterias like Morrison's disappear. You could see the food, you could get served with no wait and at minumum cost. I don't see my role when I go out as a charity, I am not so well off myself!

Ha

Many advisers and articles are concerned with how long your retirement income and nest egg will last. They plan for spending down of principal and the "trick" is to die before your money runs out. Is anyone here going to LBYM in ER so that they continue the accumulation phase in retirement? You spend less than your income sources and invest the surplus to increase your net worth! Duh! This doesn't assume a certain SWR, just that it's always less than your investments, SS etc produce each year.
Retired for almost 4 years now. We are not doing it (accumulations) by plan, but by habit. We keep to our frugal way, while still enjoying ourselves with extra travel and toys, but still not spending all of our 'income'. We have the luxury of having more than we need, so we can do it. Not sure everyone can, unless you defer FIRE so that you do save 'more' for FIRE accumulation too.

My apology. I should not have made the attribution to anyone if I was not sure. However, I never meant that either you or Khan were "cheap". Far from it.

No apology needed ! When I am getting thrifty (cheap) I know it instantly because my daughter rolls her eyes and says MOTHER in that tone .

Back
Top Bottom