LBYM Question

I completely agree with you about this purse! I ordered the black one three years ago and still use it every day. I've traveled all over the USA with it and stuffed it silly and it still looks great. I'm glad to see your post, because I've been meaning to order another one. I just know that they will stop making it someday (because that always happens to me with things I love (smile!)) and I want to be ready!
You are the first person I have every "known" who uses this purse! It is truly amazing, I agree. Mine is in navy, and I think it looks just as good today as when I first bought it three years ago. I love all the pockets, and it's so nice and lightweight. I love having the clip and attach my wallet and car remote to it, so that I don't lose either one.

OK, I must admit. I always try to get one more squeeze of the toothpaste tube. I put the little pieces of soap together. I hate waste but I spend $10.00 a pound for grass fed ground beef at Whole Foods. I guess it is all about priorities.

OK, I must admit. I always try to get one more squeeze of the toothpaste tube. I put the little pieces of soap together. I hate waste but I spend $10.00 a pound for grass fed ground beef at Whole Foods. I guess it is all about priorities.

:LOL: I found if you run the tube over a sharp edge, like a counter top, you can push more paste to the end of the tube. So then I can go buy an expensive bottle of wine :dance:

You are the first person I have every "known" who uses this purse! It is truly amazing, I agree. Mine is in navy, and I think it looks just as good today as when I first bought it three years ago. I love all the pockets, and it's so nice and lightweight. I love having the clip and attach my wallet and car remote to it, so that I don't lose either one.
I agree - you are the first person I have ever "known" who has this purse, too. But I've sure told a lot of people about it!

LOL!

When I stay at a hotel, I often bring my own, much more comfortable toilet paper. Most hotels have yucky toilet paper. :LOL::LOL:

You need extra room in your bag for all those rolls of toilet paper you collect!!!

I only brought my own - when travelling to Haiti a few years back. Wife was very grateful that I tucked a roll into my suitcase. :)

I should also mention that "the Brooks Brothers tie borrowing activities" was actually my MO in the 80's. I stopped pulling those shenanigans when I stopped drinking back in 1989.

11. Quit Drinking (that's where I saved big-time.) My legal fees went down, cost of booze eliminated from Budget, etc.

12. Quit Smoking - 10 years ago. So no longer spend on cigarettes, air freshners, excess dental work, other health related incidents.

Michael

11. Quit Drinking (that's where I saved big-time.) My legal fees went down, cost of booze eliminated from Budget, etc.

12. Quit Smoking - 10 years ago. So no longer spend on cigarettes, air freshners, excess dental work, other health related incidents.

Michael

good for you - DW and I are going that right now. Working on a 16 day chip. It will be interesting to see how much we save.

+100's

(Unfortunately, I am not having much luck asking for discounts these days. I try anyway - what does it take - 30 extra seconds?)

Learn to ask for a cash discount or sale price - always. About 1/2 the time it pays off and after a while 'no' doesn't hurt so much. I have saved scads of money this way and it's especially useful at the dentist and docs offices.

• Low quality items are often a false economy if they are lifetime purchases as you will end up replacing them. (cookware comes to mind)
  • Make your own coffee.
  • Give up alcohol except for special occasions <-- major money saver over time.
  • Cut your own grass, clean your own house, wash your own windows.
  • Just say no to financial management services.
  • Bake or make your own bread, desserts and snacks.
  • Buy dried pet food (yes, for your pet) and groom your own critter.
  • Never, ever go shopping when you are bored.

I have found that razor blades stay sharp much longer, if you rinse and dry them after each use. Can't seem to get Mr. A. on board with this, but at least I am saving!

Also I gave up shaving cream in favor of soft liquid soap, such as Olay or Dove Body Wash. Never liked the smell of shaving cream anyway.

I've always asked for a senior discount, I'm surprised at the discount my husband received so far. All you have to do is ask.

good for you - DW and I are going that right now. Working on a 16 day chip. It will be interesting to see how much we save.

Thanks,

I found that I saved a lot early on - but eventually I started enjoying travel instead.

Currently - 9964 days Sober (without a drink)

Currently - 3652 days Smober (without a smoke)

By the way - based on a conservative price tag of $10 a day for drinking and $5 a day for smoking over the years - the $$$ sure added up.

There is nothing wrong with either of the aforementioned if you enjoy it - but both habits/addictions stopped becoming enjoyable for me.

Michael

I only brought my own - when travelling to Haiti a few years back. Wife was very grateful that I tucked a roll into my suitcase. :)

I should also mention that "the Brooks Brothers tie borrowing activities" was actually my MO in the 80's. I stopped pulling those shenanigans when I stopped drinking back in 1989.

Michael

Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do? (song) :greetings10:

Good for you. Quit smoking in 2001. Still have occasional drink though.

I don't drink or smoke either, any more, or take illegal drugs, and the cost of all of these habits seems very high from the point of view of someone who doesn't partake. Of course, if a person gets value for their money that way, then more power to him or her.

Just not my cup of tea I suppose. I am certainly not perfect or trying to seem so. I think most of us have at least some bad habits, and I have others to combat like for example my battle with overweight.

+1.
The economy would have to tank and the stock market would have to go down by 50% before we start clipping coupons, search for bargains and drink 2 buck chuck wine rather than Chateau St Michelle. Until then we will stay the course and enjoy our retirement.

Knew a guy for a while worth about $800M who drank 2 buck chuck - I think he bought it at Walgreens - and was a pretty happy fellow. Some people enjoy their retirement even when (especially when?) they spend less.

Knew a guy for a while worth about $800M who drank 2 buck chuck - I think he bought it at Walgreens - and was a pretty happy fellow. Some people enjoy their retirement even when (especially when?) they spend less.

As I said before it's a personal preference. Not criticizing people who spend less if that makes them happy but it's not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
I love you folks! So glad to be among like-minded people.

Here's my tip on haircare: when I go to the hairdresser I never get my hair dried and styled. I leave the salon with damp hair. I started doing this in the 80's when I was poor, just out of college. I usually would go after work for a cut and was just going home afterwards, so looking styled didn't matter and it saved $8 off the otherwise $25 price. That was real money on my small income. 30 years later I still go to the same woman for my hair and I still leave damp. No idea how much I save nowadays. My hairdresser said she doesn't mind because she can use that time with another customer who she might not otherwise be able to fit in (and earn more than the $7-10 she didn't earn from me).

All this talk about saving money and no one has mentioned dryer sheets. For me, I don't use them, never understood the need.

Here's my tip on haircare: when I go to the hairdresser .

I forgot to mention that 2 years ago I learned how to cut my own hair. No more waiting around for a hairdresser :) Since I wear my hair up 95% of the time even if I mess up the cut nobody can tell.

Neither my wife or I drink much wine. On various occasions, when offered, we have tried a glass of anything from $3.99 to $50+ only to take a sip and not care for it. Although we have enjoyed a bottle of Moscato or some sweet wine I found at the $3.99 price (not Thunderbird or Boone's Farm). We could easily afford anything even though we aren't worth $800M but just haven't developed an interest or a taste for it. I did make a few batches of wine ago thinking my wife's congestion was due to the sulfites. Solved that issue but not the taste. No luck there either. However, I do like an occasional beer especially a nice smooth chocolaty stout. Drinking is just not a priority for us (maybe some Baileys once in awhile). I guess we are just one of those uncultured couples.

Cheers!

That's because they aren't needed. I can remember when they didn't exist. I think they became a "thing" because of static cling - something else that hasn't been a "thing" for some time, at least not for me. Nobody in my household wears the kind of clothes (usually, lightweight synthetic fabric) that get "static cling." Undergarments at Chez Amethyst are made of cotton, which doesn't get static. I wash and dry all the gym clothes by hand because of the high elastic content.

All this talk about saving money and no one has mentioned dryer sheets. For me, I don't use them, never understood the need.

LOL!

When I stay at a hotel, I often bring my own, much more comfortable toilet paper. Most hotels have yucky toilet paper. :LOL::LOL:
I agree we stayed at a hotel in Switzerland whose TP had the feeling of newsprint:(
Fortunately there was a market nearby, and with rudimentary German and a lot of sign language, I got some real soft TP:)

I think Mr. Money Mustache readers corner the market on LBYM ideas. Using cloth for TP and only washing sheets every 3 months are two I remember (with horror).

I do wish my DH would share restaurant meals with me, but he often ends up eating his and part of mine unless I can get my leftovers into a container quickly.

My contribution to this thread is suave shampoo. It used to be 99c, now I can get them at 99cent store for 99c, but not at regular store.
That's my shampoo too. I used to get it from Walgreens for 99c until they stopped carrying it about 6 months ago. CVS still have it, but in a bigger bottle (30 fl oz) for $2.49 IIRC. I forget the exact size of the older bottle, but the new one is about 2 - 2.5 times larger, so the price per fl oz is still about the same.

I really wasn't going to join this thread until I saw your comment about Sauve shampoo, and couldn't help myself!

Last edited:
:LOL: I found if you run the tube over a sharp edge, like a counter top, you can push more paste to the end of the tube. So then I can go buy an expensive bottle of wine :dance:
I miss the days when toothpaste tubes were made of metal. It was easier to squeeze the last bit of paste out of the tube.

Halycon days indeed..........

Back
Top Bottom