LBYM Question

1. Wife and I only drink water when we go out to Resturants.
:LOL::facepalm: When I first read this I thought.... "Why would he not drink water at home?"

5. I've actually walked into Brooks Brothers (before a date) purchased a shirt or tie - and after the date - took it back and got my money back.

9. When staying at a hotel or work, I will take the toilet paper. Some people take towels and soaps. I try to get a roll of toilet paper for each day of my stays.

Hmmm.. I would never do either of these because I think that it is a bit dishonest.

Last edited:
No coffee filters for me. No pods either.

My great-grandmother used to put grounds of coffee into a saucepan, add water and boil... then use a strainer over her cup. The older the grounds, the longer she let it boil... Let's just say my first experience with coffee was not the greatest.

For those living in the desert S.W. one should use the "if it's yellow let it mellow"process ........
:D

"and, if it's brown, flush it down."

My SO absolutely would not stand for that... she would get upset if I used the bathroom overnight and waited until the morning to flush.

And then there was the time DW took the leftover deodorant bits and melted them in the microwave to reload the stick!

Maybe it is regional; I have no idea.

They aren't going to knock on your door and ask you to come to dinner. But local mom'n'pop neighborhood restaurants that serve good, home cooked, nutritious food just do not seem to exist where you live no matter how long you search, and you have actually put some genuine work into asking around among your friends, relatives, and online, researching, and trying to find a place that that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a cup of soup or side salad or half a sandwich with water to drink, then I guess that's a problem. If you are eating more than that when you eat lunch out, then your concept of "meal" vs "feast" differs from ours. If you aren't, then your location might present a great opportunity for a young, ambitious cook.

I go to lunch once a week with some other retired buddies. We frequent local places, with good food and inexpensive beer (Hey, it's just once a week). At one local tavern I can get a really good burger for $2.75, and I can add a side for $2 if I am really hungry. And $2 beers (costs more than water, but the same price as a soda). They also have a great chef salad for $6.95.

You could get out here with a burger, side, and a beer for the price of many "meal deals" at the fast food places. (Well maybe the tip adds a little more)

Lunch, 2-3 beers, tax and a (generous) tip $15-20.

Three hours of shooting the bull with your buddies: Priceless :dance:

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. Even a cheap lunch in these parts is not cheap.

Also I don't like cafeterias, because I hate the smell and taste of mass-produced food. Just the smell of a cafeteria puts me off. I brown-bagged it my entire school and working life.

Lunch here in a middle of the road place easily will run $15-$25 dollars with tax and tip, for such things as a burger and fries, tuna melt, salad, etc. Same with breakfast, even in a "greasy spoon." We could only do fast food for $7-8. So I think the area of the country means a lot in thinking about these prices.

National Park Pass - Love to camp at $6 bucks a night
No cable
And lots of international travel, but coach and cheaper hotels
Kohls sales on clothing

I go to lunch once a week with some other retired buddies. We frequent local places, with good food and inexpensive beer (Hey, it's just once a week). At one local tavern I can get a really good burger for $2.75, and I can add a side for $2 if I am really hungry. And $2 beers (costs more than water, but the same price as a soda). They also have a great chef salad for $6.95.

You could get out here with a burger, side, and a beer for the price of many "meal deals" at the fast food places. (Well maybe the tip adds a little more)

Lunch, 2-3 beers, tax and a (generous) tip $15-20.

Three hours of shooting the bull with your buddies: Priceless :dance:
So, get the chef salad and split it with one of your pals. Get water to drink. Your bill would be $3.48 plus tax, say maybe $3.80. Add a $2 tip (>50%), and you're out of there for a total of $5.80. I don't see what the problem is, except that you are eating and drinking several times as much as we do. Right now, you are spending more on three beers when you go there, than we would spend for our entire lunch. As you point out, shooting the bull is the whole point, not stuffing yourself, and you can converse for free for as long as you like. :)

Last edited:
So, get the chef salad and split it with one of your pals. Get water to drink. Your bill would be $3.48 plus tax, say maybe $3.80. Add a $2 tip (>50%), and you're out of there for a total of $5.80. I don't see what the problem is, except that you are eating and drinking several times as much as we do. Right now, you are spending more on three beers when you go there, than we would spend for our entire lunch. As you point out, shooting the bull is the whole point, not stuffing yourself, and you can converse for free for as long as you like. :)

There's a difference between "living" and "surviving". :(

A post here last week (iirc) linked to a Wiki article that defined financial independence as "having enough money to cover basic necessities without needing a paycheck" (paraphrasing). By that standard I've been FI for a little while, but I'm not going to retire until I can substitute "planned expenses" for "basic necessities" in that definition. I want to enjoy retirement, not "get by".

We don't feel we need to feast every single day to be living. That would be so depressing!

Instead, we just eat lunch. And take a lot of criticism for doing so, by people who think it's impossible to eat without ordering everything on the menu.

Most restaurants serve over twice what a person needs, because they make more money that way. We simply circumvent that by sharing, or by taking half home. Or, often we will each order a cup of soup or a side salad (not both). That is plenty of food for someone in their 60's.

We don't feel we need to feast every single day to be living. That would be so depressing!

Instead, we just eat lunch. And take a lot of criticism for doing so, by people who think it's impossible to eat without ordering everything on the menu.

Most restaurants serve over twice what a person needs, because they make more money that way. We simply circumvent that by sharing, or by taking half home.

.....I meant the beer part.:D>:D

Am I cheap or frugal? Whenever I pick up a burger to eat at home, I get it without cheese and add the cheese when I get home. Of course I can afford the 50 cents extra for cheese, but I just don't like paying for it when there are cheese slices that I already paid 15 cents for in my fridge... :)

.....I meant the beer part.:D>:D

Well, that's another matter! :D We don't drink because we both have alcoholism in our family, plus we don't actually like the taste.

He has a "thing" for diet Coke, and when he orders that his bill is always much more than mine. I love diet Coke too, but it keeps me awake at night so I can't order it.
Am I cheap or frugal? Whenever I pick up a burger to eat at home, I get it without cheese and add the cheese when I get home. Of course I can afford the 50 cents extra for cheese, but I just don't like paying for it when there are cheese slices that I already paid 15 cents for in my fridge... :)
Makes sense to me... :)

Last edited:
We go out at least twice a week to eat, usually for ethnic food like Mexican, Chinese or Thai. Most entrees are $10 - $15, and I usually have some kind of buy one entree get one free coupon or Groupon, and then we pay tax and tip on what the total would have been without the coupon. When we subtract out the time and money of having to buy, store, cook, prepare and clean up the cost of food made at home anyway, it's a cheap date night out. We drink water with our meals because that is what we do at home. We try to keep the alcoholic beverages to no more than 2 - 3 a week for health reasons, so we save our drink allotment for happy hours, going out with friends or a 1/2 glass of wine on the patio on nice days.

Last edited:
Okay , Her is my LBYM's . I recently purchased a red and brown coach bag for $160.00 instead of buying one for $450.00. It was such a great purchase that I bought my daughter one also so I saved $580 .00. Talk about LBYM .

Okay , Her is my LBYM's . I recently purchased a red and brown coach bag for $160.00 instead of buying one for $450.00. It was such a great purchase that I bought my daughter one also so I saved $580 .00. Talk about LBYM .

Great deal!

For some reason (not sure why) I don't really like Coach purses, or I'd run to do the same. After years of seeking, I finally found the perfect purse for me and doubt I'll ever buy another brand or style. The purse that I like is this one,

https://www.amazon.com/eBags-Piazza-Day-Bag-Black/dp/B01M7PKZFL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491408612&sr=8-1&keywords=ebags%2Bpurse&th=1

$39 on Amazon and probably less elsewhere if I looked around (I haven't). That's not LBYM, in my case, but just blind luck.

Last edited:

I was amazed when I realized facebook rummage sales and tons of high end legit purses were $50, lots of Coach, Kate Spade, etc. The "those are last years".. hmm good leather purse, barely used, yeh, I can spend $50 and run around with last years purse.

Always check the weekly specials at the grocery, stock up on BOGO's.

Weekend deals at Fresh Market usually include some decent wines on 2 for $12 or 2 for $14

Publix does a "get a $50 gas card for $40" at least monthly, I load up when they do so my gas is always 20% off.

Ebates - so many online purchases giving 2-5% back or more (even buy online, pick up in store). Usually get about $50 back per quarter.

Anytime I'm shopping on a new site I sign up for their emails for intro coupons, and/or free shipping

Camel for any larger amazon purchases that can wait, Renegotiate Sirius and Cable - (ie. threaten to cancel) every time

Always look for offers and packages with hotels. Often the "breakfast included" rate is only a few bucks more than the base, which means a nice buffet and I can skip lunch too.

We go to movies on Tuesday afternoons - empty theatres, and only $6.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom