Let's spend $10K!

I think I would buy one of these to play my LP's vpi classic 4 $10,000

Attachments

• vpi classic 4.jpg
    vpi classic 4.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 157
I would use it to pay down principal on a rental property, thereby bringing closer by at least two years the generation of an income stream.

Very nice, I listened to the Stradivari last year at the Rocky mountain show - stupendous!

I love the Stradivari, and I was at RMAF as well. Had a great time. Small world indeed! Did you hear them with the Onedof $100K turntable? I currently own the Sonus faber Toy Towers. But soon enough, hopefully, the Cremonas will be mine! :)

I love the Stradivari, and I was at RMAF as well. Had a great time. Small world indeed! Did you hear them with the Onedof $100K turntable? I currently own the Sonus faber Toy Towers. But soon enough, hopefully, the Cremonas will be mine! :)

Yes small world! That Onedof is quite something. I haven't been going to audio shows every year but the RMAF is so convenient and so well put together I m thinking of making a regular expedition there. Have magneplanars in my system (MG 1 & mmg) but next year depending on the market response to W2R's wh** announcement I may start looking for the next leg on this wonderful music journey. Those Cremonas look wonderful!

Actually, doing it right now! Three month winter condo rental in Fort Lauderdale!

I'd finally stop procrastinating and get the peeling trim on my house repainted, and the deck and screened porch repaired. That seems like cheating though, since I have definite plans to call a guy within the next month. To buy something new I'd start with replacing the worn out couch downstairs, getting a comfy love seat or reading chair for the loft, new tables for the entry and living room, a nice clock for over the mantle, a kindle and some e-books, a green egg grill, new skis and boots, some new running gear...am I there yet?

Really the biggest splurge I'd want to do with a big chunk of money would be to replace my 97 or 04 cars. They are running too well and I like them too much to pay $20k-45K for what I might want to replace them with, but with a "use it or lose it" gift I'd do it.

Hmmmmph:
1) downpayment on "retirement" home in florida, since rates are so low I'd finanance it
2) Take it right to the craps table!
3) Sailing lessons to get my captains license
4) Definitely could spend it on tools, start with a lift for the garage
5) Give it away to struggling friends
6) Just keep it in cash until the "rules" change and I can buy myself a boat!

I see that a lot of people just disregarded the rule and would spend it on travel anyway. Not wanting to be so blatant, I think I have found a loophole. I will spend it on fuel.

Yes, $10K is about what it will cost in gasoline for an RV round trip to Alaska, and another one to Newfoundland. Yep, all it takes is the know-how in book keeping to sneak by the auditor.

Now, where do I store all that gasoline? Price will most likely go up before I can take the trip. Alaska in summer 2013, and the NE in summer 2014. Who knows what gas price will be then? Can I buy gasoline future that far out?

Last edited:
I would say replace the large window in my master bedroom with french doors but if that $10K feels anything like the $10K I just made by filling in for a colleage at my former employer, it will probably just end up in my savings account. Note to self... must relearn to live a little for today.

Like many people here, I would spend a "windfall" $10K on something that I would normally get anyway. Is that a common trait of LBYM'ers or people who are accustomed to delayed gratification? Even if money falls from the sky, we cannot see ourselves splurging to spend on what we would think as frivolous? And then, yesterday, the godmarket gave me a "windfall" even greater than $10K. Did I rush out to look for ways to spend it?

Nope, no compulsive spending, no "spur of the moment" purchases. I guess some would consider it a boring life. But, but, but does that come with an INTJ personality? Someone cares to make another thread?

NW-Bound said:
I see that a lot of people just disregarded the rule and would spend it on travel anyway. Not wanting to be so blatant, I think I have found a loophole. I will spend it on fuel.

Yes, $10K is about what it will cost in gasoline for an RV round trip to Alaska, and another one to Newfoundland. Yep, all it takes is the know-how in book keeping to sneak by the auditor.

Now, where do I store all that gasoline? Price will most likely go up before I can take the trip. Alaska in summer 2013, and the NE in summer 2014. Who knows what gas price will be then? Can I buy gasoline future that far out?

Sure you can. Oil futures.

DW would buy a whole barrel of Jack Daniels whiskey. Those go for around $10K.

Sure. That would make a good conversation piece in the living room. Practical too, as one can just put a piece of glass over it and turn it into a dining table. Makes lots of friends too.

Jack%20Daniels%20Barrel%20branded.jpg

About oil futures, I just checked and found that they are trading oil futures as far ahead as 2019. Looks like I am set. Just waiting for the fund transfer from W2R. Or does the check come in the snail mail?

A small/cheap chunk of land for/near a fishin' spot about 3 hours from here.

-CC

Nope, no compulsive spending, no "spur of the moment" purchases. I guess some would consider it a boring life. But, but, but does that come with an INTJ personality? Someone cares to make another thread?
I'm an ISTJ, but life is meant to be enjoyed, live a little :dance:

A sunroom addition to our home. Our old place that just went under contract had one and we loved it. No better place to enjoy a nice summer evening with a glass of wine and some good music.

Gosh well...

if i weren't retired, I'd add it to the dragon hoard. Compound interest, baby.

if i were retired, i'd:

Back
Top Bottom