Marketwatch - Home Retirement Here’s why you shouldn’t retire super early

It is just a general article mentioning that there are many people in FIRE and trying to get there. For me I think the point about the fear of unknown is the most relevant. Especially when you have young dependent. Even with a high net worth. I plan to live below my means until the kids are independent and above my means after that.

It is just a general article mentioning that there are many people in FIRE and trying to get there. For me I think the point about the fear of unknown is the most relevant. Especially when you have young dependent. Even with a high net worth. I plan to live below my means until the kids are independent and above my means after that.

While I hope to reach FI asap, fear of the unknown is my biggest concern with early retirement as well. I've seen enough instances of friends and family where a large, unplanned financial issue came up, and their ability to keep earning money and not rely on the whims of the market likely kept their financial stress in check. Often it was health related (that insurance didn't help with), but you just never know what life can throw at you. The smaller your portfolio and/or the longer you have to rely on it, the smaller your margin of error, imo.

Back
Top Bottom