MBNA switched from Visa to American Express without permission

SonnyJim

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone else had this happen to them.  I have been with MBNA for 16 years and they just canceled my old Visa and sent an American Express rewards card without my permission or prior notification.  Their reason was that I have not used the card in over a year and they thought I would be enticed to use their card if the rewards were better.  The rub was they had cancelled my Visa 2 weeks before the AE card arrived.

I complained and requested my old Visa back.  They said they would need to issue a new card with a different account number.  Now I know it is petty, but I have memorized the old account number since I have had it so long I didn't want it to be changed.  It has taken over 3 weeks for them to send out a new card, so I have been without the ability to use their card for over 5 weeks.  I called to cancel the account after 16 years, the account rep said they mailed the new Visa on Thursday.  It is a done deal, I dumped MBNA.  Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Not a good idea to close a long standing line...call them back and have it reinstated if you closed and sock drawer it if you dont like it. Why are you worried about not having the use of the card right away....you havent used it in over a year :confused:

They are going through a merger with Bofa right now and yes some of my cards have been reissued.....

SonnyJim said:
Has anyone else had this happen to them.  I have been with MBNA for 16 years and they just canceled my old Visa and sent an American Express rewards card without my permission or prior notification.  Their reason was that I have not used the card in over a year and they thought I would be enticed to use their card if the rewards were better.  The rub was they had cancelled my Visa 2 weeks before the AE card arrived.

I complained and requested my old Visa back.  They said they would need to issue a new card with a different account number.  Now I know it is petty, but I have memorized the old account number since I have had it so long I didn't want it to be changed.  It has taken over 3 weeks for them to send out a new card, so I have been without the ability to use their card for over 5 weeks.  I called to cancel the account after 16 years, the account rep said they mailed the new Visa on Thursday.  It is a done deal, I dumped MBNA.  Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen to them.

I have heard other complaints about MBNA, but I have never had
any trouble of any kind. 100% smooth sailing and I have held
their card(s) for many years. Even had my IRA there for a
while. That was smooth as silk also.

JG

SonnyJim said:
Has anyone else had this happen to them. I have been with MBNA for 16 years and they just canceled my old Visa and sent an American Express rewards card without my permission or prior notification. Their reason was that I have not used the card in over a year and they thought I would be enticed to use their card if the rewards were better. The rub was they had cancelled my Visa 2 weeks before the AE card arrived.

I don't blame you for dumping them. At least they could have written and asked permission or for your preference. And doesn't Amex charge an annual fee, unlike many Visa cards? Were they going to pay that for you?

I'll keep an eye out for this scam - got a rarely used MBNA VISA myself.

Mr._johngalt said:

Ugh, this loser is back on the board? Is there any way to put people on an ignore list so you don't have to see their inane postings/trolls?

Maddy,

I have plenty of credit and it is excellent. I tend to vote with my wallet. Not willing to waste my time with poor service. Just wondered if anyone else was inconvienced as well.

I do not think one should do business with a particular company soley because it may affect your credit score, otherwise they will do whatever they see fit with longstanding customers.

I dumped MBNA when they raised my interest rate justified on the basis that interest rates were rising--when in fact they were dropping.

Back
Top Bottom