Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Buffet's house is usually pictured from the front.

From that angle, it does appear to be a modest home.

But an aerial photo shows essentially another full-sized home at the back.

There's nothing "lower-middle-class" about where he lives.
Yup - definitely not lower-middle class.

He also has an expensive house in Laguna Beach
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #202
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Yup - definitely not lower-middle class.

He also has an expensive house in Laguna Beach
Hey, the guy is still working and hasn't had time to de-clutter yet, so give hem a break.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #203
Recycles dryer sheets

Middle, Upper Middle Class Distinction for Retirees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I have come to the conclusion that if you have ~$2.5m in NW NOT including your main living property. With a 4% WR ($100k PA) That would put you in the Middle to Upper Middle C!&$$ . Add SS and Pensions and it would put you squarely into the Upper Middle. JMHO I could be wrong.
Perhaps the weight analogy would be less controversial? That would be USD net worth ex home of six figures for leanFIRE, seven for FIRE, and eight for fatFIRE. This seems to be roughly how the kids divide things on reddit.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #204
Full time employment: Posting here.

By the standards of someone with billions, Warren Buffet's house is modest. It wouldn't be out of place as the house of an successful orthodontist or the president of a local bank.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #205

IIRC, the house in Laguna Beach was where his wife lived.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #206

Of course the IRS thinks something around $200k for MFJ is upper middle class, because that's where most tax deductions/credits/benefits have phased out. And some surtaxes start to phase in and your are probably exposed to AMT.

In the old tax code, at ~$200K MFJ you've lost:
  • ACA subsidies
  • American Opportunity tax credit
  • Child credit
  • College interest deduction
  • IRA deduction
  • Rental losses
  • Roth contributions
  • Savings bond exclusion
  • Tuition deduction

And you are phasing in or approaching loss of adoption benefits, loss of exemptions, 3.8% investment surtax, Medicare surcharge, and Pease.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #207
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
According to this article you only need 375k in retirement to be middle class.

Nowadays, to sustain a “comfortable” and “middle-class” lifestyle in retirement, a retiree will need about $375,000 in savings. The reality is that most folks fall far short of that number.

Amazingly incoherent article. It's Ms Gilarduci (again). I gotta read up on this scheme she's hatched. Maybe things are really not so bad after all if it only takes 375k.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
According to this article you only need 375k in retirement to be middle class.

Nowadays, to sustain a “comfortable” and “middle-class” lifestyle in retirement, a retiree will need about $375,000 in savings. The reality is that most folks fall far short of that number.
$375K would be plenty for me to retire on if I retired at full retirement age(65). However, I do not plan to work that long so I have more years to cover and therefore need more than $375K.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:13 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I googled and found this:

https://phoenixmi.com/wp-content/upl...es-Ranking.pdf

The report uses the term affluent instead of middle class. Here is their cutoff for the different segments (on page 4 of report):

Near Affluent $100k - $249k Investable Assets
Lower Mass Affluent ($250k - $499k) Investable Assets
Upper Mass Affluent: $500k - $999k Investable Assets

Investable Assets includes educational/custodial accounts, individually owned retirement accounts, stocks, options, bonds, mutual funds, managed accounts, hedge funds, structured products, ETFs, cash accounts, annuities, and cash value of life insurance policies
But we don't want no stinkin' landlords, right? Haha! Nice try, pinheads!!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:14 AM   #210

For your enjoyment retiree rockers: Bob Seger.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
IIRC, the house in Laguna Beach was where his wife lived.
I recall he was planning to sell it because of the outrageous land value...
Old 02-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
It's amusing that for a thread with so many "I don't care" responses, there sure are a lot of responses! Why so much interest in a ho-hum topic?

Doth we protest too much? Could it be that, while most of us believe class distinctions are not important, each of us is prey to a sort of naughty pleasure in privately knowing he is just the tiniest bit "better" than the next guy?

In our defense, does a bit of covert vanity mean we are bad people? No, it only means we are people.
Hierarchies are not even limited to primates, let alone people, and no matter how much people like to deny that they are interested in things like this, until they are underground we are. People lie about everything, and often have no inkling that they are in fact misrepresenting the truth of their own lives. This is just one more thing to obfuscate in order to stay comfortable. Even lobsters create hierarchies.

Ha
Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Even lobsters create hierarchies.
Jordan? Jordan Peterson, is that you?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #214
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Hierarchies are not even limited to primates, let alone people, and no matter how much people like to deny that they are interested in things like this, until they are underground they are. People lie about everything, and often have no inkling that they are in fact misrepresenting the truth of their own lives. This is just one more thing to obfuscate in order to stay comfortable. Even lobsters create hierarchies.

Ha
+1

This thread is funny in that maybe 1/2 the thread is people caring enough to
post they don't care. And that by not caring, inferring they are slightly better
than those that do.

The way incomes are currently distributed in the USA, the top quintile lines up
pretty well with a level of assets that allows for improving financial conditions.
The top quintile has been experiencing income growth, everyone else, not so
much. In the current environment, capital is gaining advantage on labor and
brains on brawn. That (for me) is the reason to work for assets - both financial
and intellectual - that happen to put me into the top quintile. I want to tag
along for the ride with the group experiencing improvement. Not having my single wide
broken into while I'm away at my job at the gas station is just a side benefit.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Jordan? Jordan Peterson, is that you?
LOL, not me, he outranks me. But as you saw, I got this delicious tidbit from him.

Ha
Old 02-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Okay. Okay. Where/who provided the - holes in their socks, so rich they don't care what they drive, home is relatively modest, etc. Was that 'Millionaire Next Door' ? or of whom am I paraphrasing?

Left handed INTJ here. Wear bib overalls or grunge flannels(think Seattle) or 'Beach Boy sandals' to City or Farm just to 'gauge the looks'. Grin. A little ER ego tripping on my part.

heh heh heh - I either have no class or such ER class that I have joined the 'above and beyond' crowd. So how many have I misquoted?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #217

People would be surprised to see how little the average household has saved for retirement how much debt seniors are carrying into their 60's. The problem is a lot of people believe that "upper middle class" means owning expensive cars, nice homes, and dressing in nice clothes. They live above their means and end up with little savings and debt as they age. So the cut-off numbers mentioned are not that far off.
Our neighbors thought we were struggling until they found out we had zero debt and retired early and own two homes free and clear. This was just because we didn't change our cars every 2-3 years and have a gardener cut our grass, or a pool man maintain our pool. We didn't have boats or class A RVs like they did. The reality is that being upper middle class has more to do with your education, your actual net worth and quality of life. I would rather live comfortably under the radar than show off fancy cars and designer clothes. As an example, last month my wife and I were waiting for our return flight to Los Angeles from Ft Lauderdale. We were wearing jeans and sneakers. Nothing wrong with that and we are both in very good shape as we train regularly. A woman who was dressed well, with nice shoes, and fake LV handbag, started staring at my wife with that condescending look. When they were calling us for boarding, she stepped in front of us and started heading to the counter. We thought she was rude. The airline person at the counter looked at her ticket at stated, we are calling mint class (Jet Blue Business Class) not coach and refused her entry. I just rolled my eyes and my wife was laughing. She became angry and had to step to the side. She watched us being welcomed by the Jet Blue representative and head for our seats. We both had Jet Blue Mint Suite seats booked. Each seat has the same width as 3 seats in coach, with a lie flat bed, satellite TV, high speed internet, and a sliding door for additional privacy. As the lady entered the plane, the flight attendant held her back and told her to wait as he was serving the welcome drinks to the Mint Class passengers. The look on that ladies face as she passed our Suite seats and saw us seated was priceless. Appearances are not always what they seem.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
People would be surprised to see how little the average household has saved for retirement how much debt seniors are carrying into their 60's. The problem is a lot of people believe that "upper middle class" means owning expensive cars, nice homes, and dressing in nice clothes. They live above their means and end up with little savings and debt as they age. So the cut-off numbers mentioned are not that far off.
Our neighbors thought we were struggling until they found out we had zero debt and retired early and own two homes free and clear. This was just because we didn't change our cars every 2-3 years and have a gardener cut our grass, or a pool man maintain our pool. We didn't have boats or class A RVs like they did. The reality is that being upper middle class has more to do with your education, your actual net worth and quality of life. I would rather live comfortably under the radar than show off fancy cars and designer clothes. As an example, last month my wife and I were waiting for our return flight to Los Angeles from Ft Lauderdale. We were wearing jeans and sneakers. Nothing wrong with that and we are both in very good shape as we train regularly. A woman who was dressed well, with nice shoes, and fake LV handbag, started staring at my wife with that condescending look. When they were calling us for boarding, she stepped in front of us and started heading to the counter. We thought she was rude. The airline person at the counter looked at her ticket at stated, we are calling mint class (Jet Blue Business Class) not coach and refused her entry. I just rolled my eyes and my wife was laughing. She became angry and had to step to the side. She watched us being welcomed by the Jet Blue representative and head for our seats. We both had Jet Blue Mint Suite seats booked. Each seat has the same width as 3 seats in coach, with a lie flat bed, satellite TV, high speed internet, and a sliding door for additional privacy. As the lady entered the plane, the flight attendant held her back and told her to wait as he was serving the welcome drinks to the Mint Class passengers. The look on that ladies face as she passed our Suite seats and saw us seated was priceless. Appearances are not always what they seem.
Great story. As a frequent flyer when working, I always walked through first/business class thinking "these people fly too much". And when I was in first/business I thought the same...

There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 02-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Great story. As a frequent flyer when working, I always walked through first/business class thinking "these people fly too much". And when I was in first/business I thought the same...
When working, our company had a generous policy of allowing us to upgrade to business/first class if the flights were longer than 4 hours. So trans-continental, trans-Atlantic/Pacific qualified for upgrades. I flew a lot for work as 80% of our business was international. I used my points to get business class tickets for our vacations. Then during retirement, we just decided to apply the same rules except I shop around for discount business class tickets and we can be more flexible with the dates. It mitigates a lot of health problems (back and leg pain) when you have a bed to sleep in during a 12-14 hour flight. Even a trans-continental red-eye flight is nice when you have a bed. Plus you can't take your money with you. I also had some of my best meals on trans-Atlantic/Pacific flights. Some airlines have pretty good food and nice food presentation.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
When working, our company had a generous policy of allowing us to upgrade to business/first class if the flights were longer than 4 hours.
We had to be over 7 hours, overseas, overnight, and work the day of arrival for business class, but unfortunately I did that a few times. It seriously cured me from doing red-eyes anywhere.