Military vs. Civilian

Bimmerbill said:
You mean my 21 years in Artillery have no worth in the civilian world?
Hey, with your artillery skills and my torpedo knowledge the synergy has to be worth something.

Maybe we should start a website...

Nords said:
Hey, with your artillery skills and my torpedo knowledge the synergy has to be worth something.

Like "Surf & Turf Fireworks:confused::D :D

Hey, I was trained in naval gunfire too. Suprisingly accurate, or so they say. I've never adjusted fire on the big guns.

Code:

Nah, with all that math (mils instead of degrees) you guys had to learn you could of been a mathematics professor. ;)

Nah, with all that math (mils instead of degrees) you guys had to learn you could of been a mathematics professor.

No. With all that math he could HAVE been a math professor

razztazz said:

As long as you are going to regress into the dismal world of grammar and spelling, I think it only fair to point out you left off a period at the end of that sentence.

Oh yes, you also left off a smiley face. :D

As long as you are going to regress into the dismal world of grammar and spelling, I think it only fair to point out you left off a period at the end of that sentence.

Oh yes, you also left off a smiley face.

Who are you, Helen Crump? The "." was at worse an oversight that had no impact on the meaning of the sentence.

And I wasn't smiling at the time (PERIOD!)

:D

You are right.  Artillery used to involve slide rules and books upon books of tables dealing with ballistics.  We even took into account the rotation of the earth, based on time of flight of the projectile.  

It's pretty much computerized now tho.  I don't even think they teach the old fashioned "manual gunnery" anymore.  

Mils are for artillery, degrees are for infantry ;-)

One of my favorite quotes:  Artillerymen see two types of people in the world.  Other Artillerymen, and targets.

Uh oh didn't know my english teacher was still alive and stalking me. :LOL:

Just imagine me in Panama spreading all this bad grammer around. :D

Bimmerbill said:
One of my favorite quotes:  Artillerymen see two types of people in the world.  Other Artillerymen, and targets.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl."
- Unknown, but attributed (among many others) to Henry Knox in the Revolutionary War.

Bimmerbill said:

i read a few years back that a lot of combat arms guys became lawyers

Lawyers? Hmm, I don't see the transition.

Nords, that quote is posted in many field artillery offices. There is usually a nicel little drawing of gentlemen sipping tea next to their cannons, while the unwashed masses are fighting all around.

combat arms are supposed to be more aggresive than the lazy scum in the rear

lawyers need to be aggressive to fight for their client

OH, that makes sense! I suspected that, but wasn't sure.

al_bundy said:
i read a few years back that a lot of combat arms guys became lawyers
In the Navy they're referred to as "sea lawyers"...

I have a friend who retired from the Army after 20 years, age=early forties,
had a civilian job waiting for him that paid the same as his military pay, plus had the Army retirement starting immediately ! Not too bad !
Now he can contribute to SS and 401k.
At age 62, he can get his SS, his 401k, and continue to get the military pension.
If you have 10 years to go, my recommendation would be to stay in the military,
assuming you like it there.
The grass is not always greener on the other side, no matter where you are.

Outstanding advice. Was at the same crossroads as OP about ten years ago as an Army Captain. Contemplated leaving the military. Tired of moving every 2-3 yrs. Family members (father) talked me into staying. Now I'm close to retiring after being promoted to Lieutenant Colonel - looking at doing exactly what renferme posted.

Back
Top Bottom