Millionaire stuff

FinanceDude said:
I think I joined the forum after she died, so I doubt I posted on here about it. She never did estate planning (why listen to a YOUNGER brother, even if he is an FA), so the estate is a mess, I hate TIAA-CREF, and the holidays won't feel the same this year.......... :(

Other than that, things are normal........... :p
First holiday season is tough. Not sure if 2nd is gonna be much better. After my brother died in 2005, I have become closer to my niece. She is a student at the Univ of AL. I went over a couple of weekends ago to watch a football game with her.(my school, Miss State won :D) She is doing well. Never was a great student in high school but she has buckled down after all this and has become a good student. Pursuing a nursing degree.

Got off track there. The old saying is somewhat true. 'Time helps'. Good luck!

Scrinch said: Do you think having money in the bank has any stress-relieving value? Said another way....how many couples with $1 million in the bank argue about money? I for one find most of the value of the money that I have comes from the security it imparts, not from the stuff that I buy with it. I get this value every day without necessarily spending a penny. :-\

Amen, Brother.

scrinch said:
I had been away for 4 weeks, and I, DW (who works full time), and the two kids still at home were all ready for me to be back home. That's the problem for me with international travel these days. I spend months in Asia each year, so it's more of a treat for me to be at home than in Bali or New Zealand. Something's wrong with this picture, isn't it? :-\

So where in New Zealand, and what is the nature of the work?

gwix

windsurf said:
Scrinch said: Do you think having money in the bank has any stress-relieving value? Said another way....how many couples with $1 million in the bank argue about money? I for one find most of the value of the money that I have comes from the security it imparts, not from the stuff that I buy with it. I get this value every day without necessarily spending a penny. :-\
Amen, Brother.

Let me add my agreement with this outlook. I buy a $50,000 car, and the dealer now has something with far more flexibility and potential than what he had on the lot - a big entropy machine; and I have that entropy machine. I didn't always look at things this way, and it may be partly an effect of aging. But $5 spent on sugar, coffee and milk at Starbuck's will attack my arteries, and take away my chance of doing way nicer things with that $5 - like maybe getting a massage next time I am in Thailand. And if I never go, I can just look at that bill in my wallet and fantasize about what it could buy me somewhere else.

If I have $1mm, 2, or more in the bank, I have a powerful ****-you machine. Something I imagine others beside me have felt the need of. A recent example: I am sitting in a health club discussing membership possibilities with a friendly soft-sell type young guy. Suddenly his attention wanders and he looks a bit nervous. He says to me- “****, there's one of our divisional managers, and he sees me talking to a prospect out of uniform.” Feature that the guy had interrupted his lunch to show me around, and I was considering prepaying for a lifetime membership. But he was scared because he didn't have his tunic on! Next he says, "Is it Ok if I tell him you are already a member, and I am looking at something for your friend who wants to join? I said sure. Later I went back to do the deal, and he thanked me for helping him cover his transgression! Probably if he had $10,000, let alone $1mm he would have felt less subservient.

As far as travel, at this stage in my life it is mostly annoying. I would consider going for educational goals such as language. Sex tourism doesn't appeal to me, as I actually prefer mature women, especially ones that I can converse with. As to “the sights”, I have the internet. I would like to spend some time in Rome, but I would maybe be too annoyed at what everything cost to fully enjoy it.

To go fishing, I know some states are better than mine, but mine is good, and I can only eat so much anyway. If I am willing to bushwhack upstream a creek from any of our rivers I’ll find enjoyable and solitary fishing. Plus a good workout getting there and back!

Most of what I enjoy costs a bit, but not much. Most of all I enjoy being solvent with great and growing margins. :)

Ha

HaHa said:
Most of what I enjoy costs a bit, but not much. Most of all I enjoy being solvent with great and growing margins. :)
Ha

Well, I forgot about the folks that truly enjoy watching the pile get bigger. ::)

I think most all of us here are solvent, and now are spending the pile to realize all of the dreams that they ever had when they were un-solvent.

HaHa said:
I actually prefer mature women....

So, basically, you want to be a gigolo. That sounds like an outstanding ER plan. Have fun and get paid for it. :)

wab said:
So, basically, you want to be a gigolo. That sounds like an outstanding ER plan. Have fun and get paid for it. :)

So many men, so little time :LOL:

Where do you can I check references on gigilos:confused:

HaHa said:

Cut-Throat said:
Well, I forgot about the folks that truly enjoy watching the pile get bigger. ::)

(turns his head and hands away from his calculator long enough to raise his hand and smile, before turning back to calculate today's growth and war chest balances). :)

wab said:

Sounds like a franchise opportunity, but I hear the competition is stiff... ::)

Cut-Throat said:

I think most all of us here are solvent, and now are spending the pile to realize all of the dreams that they ever had when they were un-solvent.

Until I was well into my 30s I was very casual about money. If I got a few thousand ahead, I would go to Mexico until I was flat again.

Then came the period of raising kids, where although I tried to be frugal, I realized that it was their one and only childhood, so I felt some expenses were important, though not strictly necessary.

Then I saved some money, and perhaps more importantly caught some breaks. Also about this time I realized that I was likely a short-timer or at least a malcontent in the world of work, so I figured I had better learn to prioritize and pile up some money.

Then my frugality took another jump when I was introduced to this board. I realized that certain expenses would likely always be high for me- food for one. So I have to look carefully at others.

Lastly, although I would not want to be so churlish as to point out that you, dear C-T, have "other sources of funds". It is different for those of use who have no safety net other than rather paltry social security. :)

Ha

wab said:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hello, I said mature, not in their dotage. After all, I am not exactly fresh out of the egg myself.

I would be frightened to meet the woman who would pay me for sex. :)

Ha

HaHa said:
Lastly, although I would not want to be so churlish as to point out that you, dear C-T, have "other sources of funds". It is different for those of use who have no safety net other than rather paltry social security. :)

Ha

You did see the thread where delaying your Paltry S.S. to age 70, lets you spend an extra $350K from age 62 to age 70? Right? ;)

Also my 'other sources of funds' will dry up long before I reach your AGE level of maturity.

Seriously, I think you will end up dying with a huge pile of money. If you don't enjoy spending money, that is certainly your perogative. We enjoy spending ours and plan on getting rid of most of it. Our 'Paltry S.S.' will amount to $45K per year alone. That is probably more money than I will be awake to spend at age 80. :LOL:

So where in New Zealand, and what is the nature of the work?

Hamilton, North Island. Drove all aound the Taupo region as well. I'm a geologist...work in development of geothermal resources for power generation. You know...alternative energy. Most people hear this and think that it is some sort of research project. Nope. Commercial, money-making, unsubsidized, Republican-and-Democrat-pleasing industry. I like the work, I like the people, I like the industry, but I'd like to cut the hours by about 2/3. Work 1/3 of the time and enjoy my kids, volunteering, and parents (and in-laws) before either I or they are too old to. If I only worked 1/3 of the time, then I think I'd feel good about taking a few extra days in New Zealand or the Philippines, or Bali, rather than wanting to scurry home a soon as possible.

Cut-Throat said:
You did see the thread where delaying your Paltry S.S. to age 70, lets you spend an extra $350K from age 62 to age 70? Right? ;)

That’s a good one! Unless something goes really wrong, I won't evens spend $350,000 between 62 and 70, let alone an extra $350,000. :)

Our 'Paltry S.S.' will amount to $45K per year alone.

I wasn't calling your SS paltry, only mine, which is much less due to an early retirement, s spotty work record, and low SS maximum contriibutions in the years when I earned the most money.

That is probably more money than I will be awake to spend at age 80. :LOL:

Don't be too sure on this one. My FIL is still traveling, and even teaching the occasional seminar at age 92. Longevity seems to drop in from time to time when it is unexpected.

Still, you seem to have a really good time, and are not made uneasy by whatever risks you may or may not be running. Seems like a winning formula for you. :)

Ha

I just upgraded from the 2x to the 3 at a time netflix plan. They have that button that says "upgrade now and we'll send xyz today!" it's been calling me with it's siren song of $3/month more for so long... I finally clicked it. I blame wanting to get the next Carnivale series disk even though I haven't watched Mongolian Ping Pong yet while my wife is hoarding some Jennifer Aniston movie. Planets aligned for weakness and clicking the button.

Nothing like living in luxury baby.

wab said:

That's my plan.............. :D :D Oops........didn't consult with DW about our plan.............. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I guess I retract my plan.......... ;) ;)

FinanceDude said:
That's my plan.............. :D :D Oops........didn't consult with DW about our plan.............. :eek: :eek: :eek:
I guess I retract my plan.......... ;) ;)
It's like dogs chasing cars-- you're afraid that she'll endorse it!

Back
Top Bottom