Join Early Retirement Today

Millions are "Unretiring"
Old 08-15-2022, 10:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Millions are "Unretiring"

I was surprised by the number of retirees returning to w*rk, including potential SS complications. It reminds me of the military maxim: "All plans are great until the first shot's fired".

"Roughly 1.5 million retirees have unretired and reentered the U.S. labor market over the past year, Nick Bunker, the director of economic research at Indeed Hiring Lab, told Yahoo Money.“That’s more than 3% of retired workers who have made the decision to return to work, a continuation of a trend that started in the spring of last year,” he said."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/retir...112641391.html
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Or, with so many open positions available, it may be tempting to work given signing bonuses or other perks of rejoining the work force. It does impact Social Security payments, tho'
Old 08-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have had various p/t jobs (15-20 hours/week) off and on during my four years of retirement. I like it. I hate to admit it, but I would do more volunteer work except for one fear. I worry about running out of steam to show up every time without a paycheck (however trivial) in return. Also, I need flexibility for ski season! I like to be able to drop everything when there's good snow, which is all too rare these days.
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #4

I'm not sure that I'd trust the director of an employment outfit to give accurate figures on how many people are "unretiring". It's in his company's interests to promote this as a growing and fashionable trend. Also, out of those 1.5 million, if that is indeed* a reliable figure, how many -

1) Actually planned for retirement, got their figures wrong, and had to go back to work for the money,

2) Slipped out of the work force due to the pandemic, and are now finding their way back in (i.e. didn't plan on retiring at all),

3) Are going back to work, not for the money, but because they found they were getting a little bored being retired.

In other words, how does he define "retired"? We're coming out of a pandemic that did quite a number on employment figures. A lot of people are finding their way back into the workforce. I question how many of the 1.5 million quoted figure were willing retirees at the time?

*See what I did there?

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm not sure that I'd trust the director of an employment outfit, to give accurate figures on how many people are "unretiring". It's in his company's interests to promote this as a growing and fashionable trend. Also, out of those 1.5 million, if that is indeed* a reliable figure, how many -

1) Actually planned for retirement, got their figures wrong, and had to go back to work for the money,

2) Slipped out of the work force due to the pandemic, and are now finding their way back in (i.e. didn't plan on retiring at all),

3) Are going back to work, not for the money, but because they found they were getting a little bored being retired.

In other words, how does he define "retired"? We're coming out of a pandemic that did quite a number on employment figures. A lot of people are finding their way back into the workforce. I question how many of the 1.5 million quoted figure were willing retirees at the time?

*See what I did there?
My guess is that there are a lot more people in "2)" than we think! The past 2-3 years have been pretty crazy for many people, I think.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #6

My employer reached out to me and several other retirees offering part time (<19.99hr/wk) work. Currently I work for them ~15hr/wk on a schedule of my choosing.

I took SS shortly after my full retirement age so I am carefully monitoring my work so I can avoid the dreaded tax torpedo.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #7
Administrator

This has been the norm for quite a few years. We’re just getting back to the “un-retirement rate” of the ore-pandemic era. https://news.yahoo.com/older-workers...210210212.html. Census bureau data has age breakdowns for those interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F51A7AFF-7BF4-4BDC-B7EC-FDB3A120ACB0.jpeg (340.7 KB, 164 views)
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #8

I'd rather sleep under a bridge.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:11 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Mods, we may have a Troll....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:58 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More boomers are of age to retire so that numbers go up. The pandemic has a huge effect on people returning to the work force for many different reasons. People that had a plan and could retire are entering the work force because of many reasons also and not all of them need the money. Boredom is the biggest culprit for returning IMO.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I suspect this is the bulk of it. People who hadn't planned to retire but were forced out either because their job closed or they left voluntarily rather than continue to expose themselves to COVID every day. Now that the risk is much lower thanks to vaccines and treatment options, they're comfortable rejoining the workforce.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Same here
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This has been the norm for quite a few years. We’re just getting back to the “un-retirement rate” of the ore-pandemic era. https://news.yahoo.com/older-workers...210210212.html. Census bureau data has age breakdowns for those interested.
Thanks for this. The first question that came to mind when I saw this thread was "what is the yearly avg before COVID?" So basically "nothing to see here"!

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

So the S&P is down ~10% and one has to go back to work. Sounds like very poor planning to me, or more likely that the stats aren't totally accurate.
The SS give back should not really be a surprise for DIY investors or those with an FA.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Thanks for this. The first question that came to mind when I saw this thread was "what is the yearly avg before COVID?" So basically "nothing to see here"!
That's fairly consistent for articles on Yahoo's finance site.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:07 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Not new, but I think it’s still an interesting topic and relevant to us. I’d like to see analysis of why people return to work and not just write it off as “they didn’t plan well”.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:39 PM   #17

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that people are returning to work so that they can get money.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
Mods, we may have a Troll....

+1.

I see what you did there.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
So the S&P is down ~10% and one has to go back to work. Sounds like very poor planning to me, or more likely that the stats aren't totally accurate.
The SS give back should not really be a surprise for DIY investors or those with an FA.
S&P was down around 23% at one point.

But then there's the 15% inflation on top of it over the last 2+ years, still high with prices continuing to climb quickly.

And it's not always a matter of having to go back to work, but choosing to because the budget won't allow as much discretionary spending as you were expecting, even if you can still cover the bills. I never retired, but it's the soaring inflation, which has NOT stopped skyrocketing yet, that has caused me to delay retirement to pad my discretionary budget. So, it's no surprise that some people would re-enter workforce for the same reason, even though their math is correct. So they save some more money so that they can travel further to find good pickleball opponents.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:32 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that people are returning to work so that they can get money.

Yeah, easy button. Work for money, I sure ain't workin' for free!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unretire