Mortgage and my mind

The great thing about paying off the mortgage: Mortgage burning party. :popcorn: Plus, it was a great way to get rid of all the left over graduation party supplies.

Seriously: If your spouse would be left in a pinch or not wanting/knowing how to deal with a mortgage, pay it off now. My DF passed away in Spet' 2017, and the mortgage has been a real burden for his DW. :'(

Seriously: If your spouse would be left in a pinch or not wanting/knowing how to deal with a mortgage, pay it off now. My DF passed away in Spet' 2017, and the mortgage has been a real burden for his DW. :'(

Seriously?

How did your DF manage to make all the other bills go away? The mortgage is just another bill. Ours is on auto-deduct, there is no 'burden' whatsoever.

Of the reasons in favor of paying off a mortgage, this is about the lamest.

-ERD50

Seriously?

How did your DF manage to make all the other bills go away? The mortgage is just another bill. Ours is on auto-deduct, there is no 'burden' whatsoever.

Of the reasons in favor of paying off a mortgage, this is about the lamest.

-ERD50
Was two (COLA?) pensions, small IRA, big mortgage. Now no pension, small IRA, big mortgage.

Was two (COLA?) pensions, small IRA, big mortgage. Now no pension, small IRA, big mortgage.

It sounds like the problem here is they didn't have the funds to pay off the mortgage, so it wasn't an option.

I will never (there - I said "never") disagree with someone saying that having the funds to be able to pay off the mortgage is better than not having the funds to pay off the mortgage.

They failed to plan (didn't take a survivor benefit on either pension? no SS?), and likely failed to LBYM.

-ERD50

So was paying the mortgage off even an alternative? And if it was, presumably that would've drained the IRA and other resources. So, no pension, not IRA, few other funds, no mortgage but still other expenses. Is that a better plan? Paying off a mortgage isn't a flick of a magic wand. It takes money to do so, and that money is gone when you use it to pay off the mortgage.

How about invest half the free cash, keep a quarter for expenses and use the other quarter to pay down the mortgage?

What's the point of just paying DOWN the mortgage? It doesn't reduce your monthly payment, nor does it let you skip a few payments if you ever need to.

The risk bend-point is when the mortgage is completely paid off. Until that, your house is at risk if you owe $100 or $100,000.

It reduces the principal which results in the payments being more effective.

If you have a low rate it's not so big a deal.

It makes sense if you have say a lot of dough in 2% CD's and a 4% mortgage no?

Studied econ/finance, and know darn well paying off a low rate mortgage is non-optimal, and I am sitting with enough free cash for the first time in my life to be able to kill the mortgage and can’t shake the motivation to pay it off. Damn my reptile brain or whatever is doing that to me...!

but what if interest rates double in the next 12 months how do those figures crunch :confused:

since 2010 and the start of my investing adventure , i have made all the ( major ) right decisions , but for all the wrong reasons

say i did the rational thing and in 2010 put the $500,000 in the bank waiting for the next meltdown .... and have a stroke tomorrow ( the doctors haven't asked about the family history .... yet they aren't going to like it one bit )

so then i am a passenger at the complete mercy of a court appointed guardian ( who is hungry for fees .. auntie got raped just like that )

so think hard about that 'reptile mind ' is it trying to save you from a hidden trap :confused:

cheers !!!

That’s why it is often not just a math question, but a life plan question if it’s a major part of your estate. Major/minor, married/single, relative rates, AA, sources of income, etc, etc. A married couple with no heirs, & 2 pensions and high SS, and investments, any of which easily cover the mortgage or easy principal payoff, look at it totally different than the single FIRE female with heirs, where all income is based on investments for a long time, and the paid off home is part of the FIRE plan for minimum expenses.

My original FI consideration included a paid off home because I looked at it as part of a lifetime checklist of things to do before retirement, since pretty much everyone I knew that was retired did that. It was only the last 5 years or so that I wondered what the point of that was, when I wondered this same question & why such a large amount of after tax funds were tied up there, limiting flexibility. I mean, there are always taxes, insurance, utilities, and maintenance costs associated with a house, and with autopay and a lot of fixed income, that easily exceeds all those cost, a mortgage is just another bill automatically taken care off. Plenty of lifetime renters FIRE.

Then it occured to me that all the retired relatives I knew were relatively uneducated financially with limited fixed incomes, though with various levels of savings. Many had paid off the house early in their careers, because that set the stage for LBYM. Once the house was paid off, that monthly amount was available to save, invest, pay for college, afford any important cost. For the financially risk adverse, it was a safe place (usually) to keep money safe and inflation protected.

I remember future in-laws back in the ‘80s, that still lived in their $8000 house bought in 1953. They had a mortgage burning party when it was paid off in 1973/4. I thought it was a big deal, until her dad explained to me the party was a joke; the P&I were like $65/mo. Taxes and insurance were way more than that. I asked him if it was that low, why did he wait so long to pay it off. “Why bother? The rate was so low, money in a savings account makes way more.” My first financial lesson of any merit. (They lived in that house until they both passd away, the MIL in 2012. The house was by far the largest part of the estate. No one does that anymore!!)

Last edited:
At the end of the day its a tax problem now vs later. Mortgage might save you on an interest deduction, but then you are paying interest soo.
Starting with 2018 taxes, it's even more likely that people won't claim the mortgage interest deduction given the increase in the standard deduction. That makes a mortgage slightly less attractive to hold from a purely financial standpoint. Of course, the deduction should be a minor consideration relative to investment opportunity cost, but it's a consideration nonetheless.

My itemized deductions before mortgage interest exceeded the standard deduction so I did get a tax benefit.... OTOH, the effective rate on my investment income was arguably 0% because it was mostly LTCG and qualified dividends. So while I kept my mortgage principally because I think my investments will earn more than my 3.375% mortgage rate on a pre-tax basis... it was even sweeter on an after-tax basis in 2017 and prior.

The change in itemized deductions in 2017 won't impact my decision... I'll keep it until it is paid off at 3.375%.

What's the point of just paying DOWN the mortgage? It doesn't reduce your monthly payment, nor does it let you skip a few payments if you ever need to.

Recast/re-ammortization. Our P&I is about $1,700/mo, but because of previous past payments we could recast and the new P&I would be < $600/mo. We're considering doing this and continuing the same P&I + extra payments as we're making now -- simply to give us the option to dial back in the event of a financial emergency. We could coast a good long while on savings with a $600/mo payment. Heck, even unemployment benefits for just one of us would cover 1-2 year's worth of mortgage payments.

Studied econ/finance, and know darn well paying off a low rate mortgage is non-optimal, and I am sitting with enough free cash for the first time in my life to be able to kill the mortgage and can’t shake the motivation to pay it off. Damn my reptile brain or whatever is doing that to me...!

While it is non-optimal, paying off the mortgage can be a huge morale booster. We paid off a 3.25 mortgage, and we are glad we did. For us, getting old has been a morale deducer, so the morale boost was nice. Now we travel the world every year for a couple of months and never worry about a mortgage.

Back
Top Bottom