Most Overprice Cars and trucks here in America!

Never having owned a Toyota or Honda my two worst cars have been foreign. The worst due to huge repair bills is the 2001 Hyundai Accent sitting in my drive way with less than 100,000 miles. Next, for the same reason was a 1990 Jetta diesel.

Observations of firends and neighbors who owned Toyotas and Hondas are that they were good cars but not exceptional and were some times very expensive to fix .

My best car in recent history based on total operating cost per mile was my 1995 Lumina. Sold at 200 K when I got the Hyundai to save money on gas. Big mistake.

I also have a 1998 four door explorer that I bought a year ago for hauling stuff and my trailer. It is actually cheaper to run than the Hyundai due to the (so far anyway) low maintenance costs.

OH by the way my father had an interesting viewpoint that insults and yelling were the second to last refuge of the incompetent. The last refuge of the incompetent was when they took a swing at you.

Bruce

"stinko"

If they could just get rid of the UAW they would really be better off.

I generally don’t defend unions, however in this case I must. What the unions won was given to them by a weak and spineless management that wanted to preserve profits and bonuses while giving the company away.

Uncontrolled private sector labor unions will keep feeding until the host dies. With government unions the host never dies it just raises taxes :(.

Problem with a crossover is that what I want is basically a car but with more cargo space and flexibility. Crossovers are basically SUVs with some compromises made to somewhat improve fuel economy, ride, etc., but its still not basically a car. I don't want to ride high up; I want something that drives like a car, has low rollover risk, and doesn't feel like a barge. Already got a minivan, don't need another.

Too bad hatchbacks and station wagons don't seem to be popular any more. I do not want to ride high or drive a truck, either. When I buy my next vehicle, I may testdrive a Highlander and Rav 4. Maybe they aren't as much like trucks as I think. Then I'll probably buy another Solara.

Have you looked at the Honda Fit? A friend of mine has one and she says the flexibility and cargo space are mind-boggling, not to mention the gas mileage.

worst car i ever owned was my 1987 volvo 740. only thing not replaced in 9 years of ownership was the glove compartment door.

best car is my current bmw followed by all the nissans i owned over the last 20 years

If they could just get rid of the UAW they would really be better off.

Well, maybe. The unions were necessary and sometimes still are, but they can be given to excess just like management.

I was in a union that was formed during the inflationary period of the late '70's-early '80's. Inflation was running 15% or so and we were getting raises of 2 - 3%. Private industry raises were 10% or more per year. Governmental stinginess ultimately cost them much more in the long run. My retirement benefits are much better than they would have been without a union, and safety issues at work were better because of union efforts.

Everybody wants highly motivated, educated, honest, reliable people but they don't want to pay for them. "You get what you pay for" in people as well as products.

worst car i ever owned was my 1987 volvo 740. only thing not replaced in 9 years of ownership was the glove compartment door.

best car is my current bmw followed by all the nissans i owned over the last 20 years

That's when Volvo (car) was owned by Volvo AB. Since 2000, it's been owned by Ford (US). Volvo AB owns the "big rigs", including Volvo and (guess what!) Mack, along with Renault trucks in Europe.

BTW, Nissan's largest foreign holder is Renault Car (not to be confused with Renault Truck (owned by Volvo AB). That's why you are seeing a French design influance in some of Nissan (and Nissan's "preimum brand" aka Infinity) models (like the Murano) in the car arena.

Don't want to upset you, but maybe some of your "success" with recent Nissan's was the influence of the French?

- Ron

Last edited:
Too bad hatchbacks and station wagons don't seem to be popular any more. I do not want to ride high or drive a truck, either. When I buy my next vehicle, I may testdrive a Highlander and Rav 4. Maybe they aren't as much like trucks as I think. Then I'll probably buy another Solara.

Have you looked at the Honda Fit? A friend of mine has one and she says the flexibility and cargo space are mind-boggling, not to mention the gas mileage.

Take a look at the station wagons that are on the market: Subaru, Jetta, Kia Rondo, Mazda 5, etc. Might or might not be better choice than an SUV.

As for the Fit, no thanks. With all the monster SUVs on the road, Anything I drive needs to be north of 3000 pounds and have a verygood record for safety.

saluki9;600193 (full Disclosure) - Before FinanceDude calls me on it said:
Hey, it's a FREE car, right? So you don't pay for the high maintenance anyways. Besides, you have a S2000,so that makes you a total import guy anyways..........:D

Newguy, is there anything you like about America? One negative thread after another, why not move to the middle east.

Wow, Carguy, you're after it today!!

On top of that Newguy, have you ever thought of actually contributing something to the forum instead of just trolling?

I think he's permanently a "glass half empty" kind of guy. Funny, I keep hearing on the one hand how the country is going to heck, and on the other hand we can't keep all the people out who think we are the "land of opportunity"...............

Take a look at the station wagons that are on the market: Subaru, Jetta, Kia Rondo, Mazda 5, etc. Might or might not be better choice than an SUV.

As for the Fit, no thanks. With all the monster SUVs on the road, Anything I drive needs to be north of 3000 pounds and have a verygood record for safety.

I'll look at those station wagons.

I won't get a Fit either, for the same reasons you cite. My friend drives hers to other states frequently, but that seems kind of scary to me.

I'm still going to be "pro-American" on this subject.

Regardless of the "bad press" on American made (e.g. the company is American, vs. only building them here) I'll continue to buy American.

Why? Simply because I don't want to send my $$$ (regardless of it's "value") to a foreign country. Even if the vehicle is built here, it's true that the worker gets income (to be spent in the U.S.) but the profit on a new vehicle still goes back to the foreign company (the dealer, regardless of where they are located, buys the vehicle from the "factory" - that's where the initial profit is made).

Using a "reverse example", Volvo is a brand that is basically manufactured in Europe (Brussels/Gothenberg, depending on model), but the company is currently owned by Ford. Initial (manufacturing) profits from the original sales of these cars go back to the "mother country" (e.g. U.S.) If you buy a Honda or BMW, and it's manufactured in the U.S. the profit on the new vehicle is returned to the company/country of orgin (Germany/Japan).

Maybe I'm just being "old fashoned", but that's the way I see it. Anyway, my last car (GM) I had on the road for 18 years before I traded it. Not because it stopped running, but I did want a model with at least one air bag (safety).

On a re-sale/used car, it dosen't make a difference on the model (I hear Honda's make good used cars); the "profit" is held within the buyer/seller (U.S.) I'm just looking at the orignal profit and impact to my country of birth.
- Ron

There are plenty of folks left like you in the USA. My dad is the same way, he's been buying Dodge pickups for years, and Internationals before then, even an AMC and a couple Ford station wagons.

As for me, I bought FIVE NEW GM products over a 20 year time frame, and now I own two used Hondas. "Goodwill" is something GM has never embraced, I hope that is changing.

I'll go along that the Saturn Aura and perhaps the Chevy Malibu are improved, along with the Fusion and the Milan. However, until I see some stellar 5 year reliability results, I'll keep my Hondas.

I don't use any credit cards, but there is a $2000 rebate towards a new GM car sitting in my account............:D

The Buick Enclave is a sweet looking ride.......

SUV = Put a bow around a huge vehicle that gives women what they want some BIG THINGY that they lack from their significant other!

Gee Newguy,
Just because your SO wants a BIG THINGY and can't seem to find one does not mean you have to get all sensitive about it and attack the poor car industry....

2fer
(Who has observed more men driving BIG 4WD THINGY's than women)

Immature ejaculation... :p

(Sorry, but since the topic had [-]finally[/-] devolved to talking about thingys...)

The two most reliable vehicles I've owned in 37 years of driving: a 1970 VW bug, and a 1981 Toyotta Corolla.

I bought a Chevy "work truck" in 1993. I'm talkin' rubber floor mats and no radio... The V6 was adequate for everyday use, but under powered for pulling my 18' boat. Had to replace motor mounts twice (musta've been that massive torque...), starter twice, and battery twice. At eight years and 108,000 miles, the tailpipe broke off, and some electronic thingy (the other kind) in the "distributor" went haywire, and had to be replaced (coupla hundred bucks later...). Transmission would occasionally slip inexplicably, but never died. After about three problems in a row, I traded it for a 2000 Chevy Silverado, which has had no repairs, breakdowns, or replacements (not even battery or brake pads) in nearly eight years, albeit only 83,000 miles.

Last edited:
Gee Newguy,
Just because your SO wants a BIG THINGY and can't seem to find one does not mean you have to get all sensitive about it and attack the poor car industry....

:D:D

Once again, the thread drift is like a cigarette boat at full throttle...........:cool:

SUV Crossovers?

America-s-Most-Overpriced-Vehicles- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Not a surpise here, 13 are American made SUV or Trucks and one sedan. 1 Nissan and a Mazda Ford re badge.

Go ahead buy one. No wonder american car makers are going the way of the DODO!

See Subaru releases first photos of all-new 2009 Forester crossover SUV - AutoMotoPortal.com

My response:

I was intrigued by your comment:

>> The new-generation 2009 model projects a bolder, more SUV-like design and making a major leap in safety technology, comfort, refinement and driving dynamics. <<

Should the reader reconsider the selling points that made the SUV one of America's best-selling automotive body designs for over a decade?

Was the SUV merely just another marketing success based on the expression, "build it and they will come."

Were all the common rationalizations for owning and driving SUV's just poor excuses for undisciplined borrowing and spending when "want" trumped "need"?

Is the word "crossover" just the latest buzzword that will reconcile the contemporary American psyche to buy again, correcting a decade of mistakes?

Was the original "major leap" taken from a very high cliff?

Will we ever use critical thinking skills again?

Just how close are we to an imploding economy?

Are we living a Faustian bargain?

Look into a mirror, then ask this list of questions. Will you get honest answers?

BDK

Last edited:
I'll look at those station wagons.

I won't get a Fit either, for the same reasons you cite. My friend drives hers to other states frequently, but that seems kind of scary to me.

Want2Retire, take a close look at the Subaru when you move to Missouri. I am a huge fan and everyone drives them here in Colorado for the all-wheel-drive feature. They last forever too!

When you buy an American car you are not necessarily supporting American workers. GM manufactures in 33 countries.
General Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the motorvehicle in third world countries is not the same as in the USA. Check out the new cheap car from India which will cost about $2000/USA. Tata Nano - world's cheapest new car is unveiled in India - Times Online
In Peru, I saw lots of moto taxis which are motorcycles outfitted with a cabin in which two passengers can sit, cheap and efficient for cities and countryside. They even carry luggage on the back. Why can't we have something similar here to save on energy?

Last edited:
America-s-Most-Overpriced-Vehicles- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Not a surpise here, 13 are American made SUV or Trucks and one sedan. 1 Nissan and a Mazda Ford re badge.

Go ahead buy one. No wonder american car makers are going the way of the DODO!

Interesting notion that the article has of what is overpriced, and what is not. The value of a car.... ANY car... is solely determined by the price that someone is willing to pay for it. The market of willing buyers is really what determines what the cost, functions, and features of a product will be. Don't believe me? Tata motors in India just came out with a car that cost's $2000. Why is that? Were the execs sitting around one day and just decided to go for the cheapest car ever built for no reason? Certainly not! They did it because by and large the population of India is poor, and they are attempting to build a car that people can buy. They are figuring that with enough volume they will become very rich.
So if america's car industry is going "stinko" as you put it, it is because people choose not to buy their products. People think they are not worth the cost, do not have the features they want, feel they are ugly... etc. Want the america auto industry to be as successful as the japanese auto industry? Probably not going to happen. The standard of living in Japan is MUCH lower then it is here in america, that means worker in Japan are WILLING to work for much less than their american counterparts.

My last 3 cars have all been Toyotas. I drive my cars until someone steals them or a little old lady hits me (totaled 8 year old corolla) on her way back to get her traffic school certificate that she forgot to pick up. (No kidding). My last car (Camry) had 325,000 miles on it. It was 13 years old. I was planning on going to 500,000 if possible. I was disappointed when someone stole it out of my driveway and it was found wrecked. BUT I love my little 4wd/RAV4. Out of all my cars (I think 5), I like this car the best. Good mileage lots of pep. AND I don't need to shovel snow to get out! (At least so far).

325,000 miles in 13 years? That's 25,000 miles per year. Do other people here put on those kinds of miles. Over the last 10 years i've averaged under 7,000 per year.

325,000 miles in 13 years? That's 25,000 miles per year. Do other people here put on those kinds of miles. Over the last 10 years i've averaged under 7,000 per year.

Currently doing ~33k/year, as I have an ugly commute. But for years I maybe put 4 or 5k a year on the car, commuting via public transportation.

When I lived in the boonies in the midwest, it was really easy to rack up the miles.

Currently doing ~33k/year, as I have an ugly commute. But for years I maybe put 4 or 5k a year on the car, commuting via public transportation.

When I lived in the boonies in the midwest, it was really easy to rack up the miles.

20,000 miles a year for me, 8,000 for DW,which is why I have an Accord and DW has the minivan.........:)

My neighbor just sold his 7 series BMW, and I could have bought it for a song, but I wasn't crazy about premium gas and a V-8 engine,I guess I'm too cheap............;)

Back
Top Bottom