Most Pleasurable 0 bucks or less

A good workout, especially a good. long bike ride.

Taking a bike ride through my neighborhood "garden watching". I love to see how people landscape and what plants they've chosen, the conditions they are in (sun / shade etc), and how they thrive.

Birdwatching at the park that is biking distance away.

Sitting on the back porch watching the birds at the pond, reading a library eBook.

Taking a nap ! I can't wait to ER so I can take a nap under the trees in the middle of the week !!

Playing cards with a group of 12 friends twice a month. Only costs me a homemade dessert and beverages twice a year. Laughter and fun priceless.

Gruene Hall most days free music with outstanding bands. Tubing the Comal, we just walk down with our tubes. Hot bath with a glass of wine and a paperback. Sitting outside in the morning with a cup of coffee, watching the world light up, and the birds begin to sing. Sliding into the sheets, prewarmed by hubby and the little dog.

Sunsets from the back porch might be number one.

Or suddenly realizing it's 2 am and you've just spend the last seven or eight hours having the most engaging conversation with a good life long friend, but didn't notice the time passing.

Sitting in my frayed armchair I bought at the thrift shop during college for $20 with a mug of hot coffee and a good book (this morning's was The Grapes of Wrath - Grampa just died from a good quick stroke; this book's a page turner!).

Last edited:
I take wife to Costco every Friday for the 'free samples' cheap lunch.

Blowing a high fastball past the opposing team's cleanup hitter for strike three.

Answering the phone and hearing the words "hi dad!"

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just waking up. Just realizing I am still alive and in fairly good health and able to think about what I want to and can do today and in the future.

Unfortunately, that also includes what I ~must~ do, and that is go to w*rk.

But not for much longer:)

Braved the cold and went for a 2 hour kayak this past weekend. Despite the temperature (or lack of) it proved to be wonderful. It felt like I had the Salish Sea to myself - there was virtually no boat traffic, apart from the odd freighter or cargo ship bound for Asian markets. About an hour into my paddle, I heard a muted splash behind me and to my right. I looked behind me, but apart from the ripples on the water, I didn't see whatever created the splash. I stopped paddling and sat very still, allowing my boat to glide to a halt, in the hope that the critter (I thought that a seal was most likely) would reappear. It did. Surfacing not 4 feet to my right was a harbour porpoise, just bobbing alongside me, it's body tilted slightly to the right so that it's left eye could peer up at me. I was shocked - normally these are VERY shy animals and I have never had much luck getting close to them. This animal, maybe about 6ft long, had obviously chosen to check me out for reasons I'll never know - it's black, glittering eye full of curiosity - it's mouth curved up at the corners looking a lot like a mischievous grin. It may have been beside me for all of 10 seconds, but it seems longer than that - I was transfixed. And then an audible intake of breath into it's blowhole it slipped under the surface and was gone. I sat there and scanned the surface waiting for it to reappear - but nothing. I soon turned my kayak around and headed home - the magic of that encounter had masked the fact that I was getting COLD. On the way home I reflected about many things. I felt humbled.

This is the kind of thing that nourishes my soul. And costs me nothing. :)

Walking in to the house after a long day at w*rk and having my dog jump on me for attention. Makes me smile every day.

This week, learning that my MIL is cancer free after 6 months of chemo treatments.

Walking in to the house after a long day at w*rk and having my dog jump on me for attention. Makes me smile every day.

This week, learning that my MIL is cancer free after 6 months of chemo treatments.

That is great new about the MIL!

Back
Top Bottom