Mr. Money Mustache Divorce Blog Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't that protect the man? Think about it. After two years of raising a child, most men and women have bonded with with the child to a degree that far exceeds any simple biological bond. Just ask anybody who has adopted a child. This law ensures that the woman can't simply run off with the child and leave the 'daddy' eating his heart out.

In the situation I mentioned the man always knew from Day 1 the child was not his (I assume the timing was not right.) He had no part in the child's life other than being forced to pay expenses through legally forced child support deductions from his paycheck. That is a far cry from raising a child for two years and suddenly having it yanked away.

Like my old Grand Pappy used to day. "Anybody can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a Daddy."

And I would add to what my grand pappy said my own corollary, 'The greatest compliment my child can give me is to call me 'Daddy'."

Not really. It's very similar to the French law. If your wife cheats, the kid is born, you find out 3 yrs later it's not your's well tough. You're now paying for that child support for someone else's kid and dealing with the emotional turmoil of finding out your wife cheated and the guy she cheated with is enjoying a martini in Aruba while you're shuttling the kid to school.

When laws interfere with a blind eye it's never a good thing. Look how few men want to get married anymore thanks to the results of the divorce laws.

I'm flying economy rather than business or first class
You've got me beat there. I usually fly extra legroom economy or maybe Premium Economy.

I elected to wait for a movie to become available on Netflix or Amazon Prime rather than buy it on demand
Right on! Or pay even more to see it at a theater. YUK! :(

I decide to pick up Pizza rather than have it delivered,
You spendthrift! I make my own pizza from scratch. :D

I'm not saving the planet with any of these choices, just saving money.
FWIW, I think many of the things we do to save money are often the most ecologically proper things to do also, whether it's bringing a bag to the grocery store or owning a hybrid auto. I find this true as long as we actually save money and not just pass the cost on to some other person(s).

If had a partner who wanted to see the movie now or wanted the pizza delivered, it would idiotic for me argue about it.
Idiotic at best. And it can be downright self-destructive.

Last edited:
That's backwards...if it was happening too often, then a law punishing the innocent party is exactly the wrong thing to do.

If you ever end up paying alimony, you'll learn all about punishment.

I've successfully avoided marriage for 56 years, and therefore have not been forced to learn.

dvalley said:
When laws interfere with a blind eye it's never a good thing. Look how few men want to get married anymore thanks to the results of the divorce laws.

It works both ways. I know many women who don't want to get married, especially a second time. Some have a great deal of wealth and don't want to put it at risk. Others, nursed a deceased husband for years and don't want to have to do that again. I can't say I blame them.

Many just like their independence - stick-in-the-mud hubby is gone, kids are out of the house, the dog has died - she can do what she wants.

FWIW, I have no idea about anything relating to MMM. I never followed the guy.

not really an option when you preach transparency in money issues...a divorce is one of the biggest money issues possible...

That makes no sense. The author can choose to write about any topic. And apparently he chose not to write about his divorce for a year.

So why now? Perhaps he just needed a juicy topic or was running out of ideas.

That makes no sense. The author can choose to write about any topic. And apparently he chose not to write about his divorce for a year.

So why now? Perhaps he just needed a juicy topic or was running out of ideas.

He writes about money ….and if you can show me somebody who got divorced without any financial fallout, I'm all ears.

Imagine having millions of dollars in the bank and your MMM husband is telling PBS and major news networks that you only live on 25K to 30k a year. :facepalm: Sure.

You live in Colorado and want to buy a Ski mansion;) or maybe pay cash for a brand new jeep but you can't because your husband(using your money also) hit a million dollar home run with a blog about living poor off a Total stock market index fund.

It's no different from the Evangelical christian:LOL: Dave Ramsey getting lucky with the debt snowball baby steps and making millions off the Total money makeover book and his financial peace university.
But Dave Ramsey cannot help himself and constantly brags about his wealth.
Which is great for Dave Ramseys wife as they travel Europe flying first class.

The MMM divorce was about money. Mrs. Mustache wants to fly like Dave Ramseys wife and maybe she will now visit Suze Orman on her private island.

Where are you getting this from? You don't have one iota of fact that this even happened.

I said "may have". I'm speculating like (almost) everyone else. ;)

He's created a persona that supposedly lives on $24k a year even though they pull in at least $400k (if reports are accurate). He can't or won't increase spending because it will affect his brand.

I don't care if you're male or female, but most people would balk at extreme LBYM in that situation. That may have not been a factor, and if it was, then it may have only been one of several issues that drove them apart.

Imagine having millions of dollars in the bank and your MMM husband is telling PBS and major news networks that you only live on 25K to 30k a year. :facepalm: Sure.

You live in Colorado and want to buy a Ski mansion;) or maybe pay cash for a brand new jeep but you can't because your husband(using your money also) hit a million dollar home run with a blog about living poor off a Total stock market index fund.

It's no different from the Evangelical christian:LOL: Dave Ramsey getting lucky with the debt snowball baby steps and making millions off the Total money makeover book and his financial peace university.
But Dave Ramsey cannot help himself and constantly brags about his wealth.
Which is great for Dave Ramseys wife as they travel Europe flying first class.

The MMM divorce was about money. Mrs. Mustache wants to fly like Dave Ramseys wife and maybe she will now visit Suze Orman on her private island.

Are you Mrs. MMM or her new SO otherwise you don't have a clue. I gotta admit I'm not getting all the Mr MMM hate on this board. Mixing apples and oranges with Ramsey too. He makes money helping people get out of debt situations. Now if he was borrowing money to fly first class that would be another story.

No, it wouldn't if hadn't portrayed himself as the "father of the FIRE movement", with lots of 20 and 30s something attempting to follow in his footsteps. MMM, along with many of us have portrayed early retirement as great thing, a goal worth the numerous sacrifices associate with living well below your means.

But if one of the risks associated with early retirement, is would it increase my chance of divorcee, that's something I'd like to know if I was a 20 something, contemplating this lifestyle. Especially, if I was more enthusiastic than my significant other.

The discussion on this board and MMM doesn't seem to suggest that it makes a big difference.

I don't think ER increases your chance of divorce. Not being the on same page with your life goals/wants increases your chance for divorce. This can be money related, but there's also a lot of other causes.

For all we know she saw behind the curtain and decided that he didn't walk the walk and she wanted to be more LBYM?

This is the essence of my question for MMM, did LYBM become so ingrained in him that it affected his relationship

Isn't one of the complaints against MMM that he really didn't live LBYM? I'd be more inclined to believe that it wasn't LBYM, but his persona, that may have started to wear thin?

His numbers never added up for me, which is why I didn't take him seriously. It's really easy to call everything a business expense. Heck, if I was in his situation, I'd have a lot of business expenses.

Which leads me to my biggest gripe with MMM: he never accounted for a divorce in his financial planning. His followers would be screwed if this happened to them.

Let's say a couple has a net worth of $1 million and they RE. 40k at 4%. They divorce. Now each gets 20k at 4%. Good luck living off of that.

And that's assuming an easy, 50/50 split of assets. Money solved his divorce problem, as it can for many people.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would guess that the worst divorces are where there are some assets, but not nearly enough. Aka, the family home needs to go on the market.

Are you Mrs. MMM or her new SO otherwise you don't have a clue. I gotta admit I'm not getting all the Mr MMM hate on this board. Mixing apples and oranges with Ramsey too. He makes money helping people get out of debt situations. Now if he was borrowing money to fly first class that would be another story.

MMM is a polarizing figure. Not uncommon with cult figures, which is exactly how he markets himself.

Gag rule was on during the divorce.

Interesting. This didn't occur to me, but the timing would make sense: they had an agreement that the divorce wouldn't be mentioned on the blog until after a year.

His numbers never added up for me, which is why I didn't take him seriously. It's really easy to call everything a business expense. Heck, if I was in his situation, I'd have a lot of business expenses.

Which leads me to my biggest gripe with MMM: he never accounted for a divorce in his financial planning. His followers would be screwed if this happened to them.

Let's say a couple has a net worth of $1 million and they RE. 40k at 4%. They divorce. Now each gets 20k at 4%. Good luck living off of that.

And that's assuming an easy, 50/50 split of assets. Money solved his divorce problem, as it can for many people.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would guess that the worst divorces are where there are some assets, but not nearly enough. Aka, the family home needs to go on the market.

On Reddit MMM posted,"When we declared ourselves "Retired!" in 2005, it was based on a different formula: $100,000 in equity on a tiny $200k home we had just downsized to, and $700k in invested assets paying at various rates, averaging 6%......My post-retirement financial picture is confusing and ever-changing because I play around with investments and earnings so much. That's why I am hesitant to focus too much on personal details and can never explain it fully - it always leads to recursively-packed cans of worms."

So when posters on Reddit tried to pin him down on how he could retire in his 30s with under a $1M with a $400K house, he said he could never fully explain it himself.

More on deconstructing MMM's actual financial picture -
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfi...tructing_mrmoneymoustache_rejoinders_welcome/

MMM and Dave Ramsey are just financial entertainers and both have worked hard to develop their business model but luck definitely played a huge part.

A sucker is born every minute.;) MMM does not live on just 25k to 30k a year and MMM sleeps well at night with millions in the bank from blog revenue.
Mrs. MMM probably wants to ski in style in Aspen and drive a Tesla. MMM is stuck as the cult leader of the skiing poor at ABASIN tailgating in the parking lot.

It's pretty straightforward. It's not hate. Mrs. MMM wants a better quality of life and she will now spend her cash like other millionaires in Colorado.

Dave Ramsey uses his Tennessee Evangelical Christian scam for tax purposes. I don't think Jesus would brag about his private jet and fancy lake house and live next to country music stars in a huge mansion. :LOL:

I sure hope Dave Ramsey isn't Jesus. :LOL:

I don't think ER increases your chance of divorce. Not being the on same page with your life goals/wants increases your chance for divorce. This can be money related, but there's also a lot of other causes.
Usually a major cause is marriage.

Ha

Last edited:
This thread has me thinking about a blogger who posted here for a short while. Millionaire Mommy or something?

IIRC, there was a lot in common with what I've read about MMM. I think she claimed she was retired, but it turns out her husband worked "because he wanted to", some fuzzy accounting, and (from what I recall), quite an attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised if that relationship ended in the same way (hopefully not).

-ERD50

Not really. It's very similar to the French law. If your wife cheats, the kid is born, you find out 3 yrs later it's not your's well tough. You're now paying for that child support for someone else's kid and dealing with the emotional turmoil of finding out your wife cheated and the guy she cheated with is enjoying a martini in Aruba while you're shuttling the kid to school.

Another choice the cheating wife has is divorce the man, and take custody of the child which happens about 95% of the time. Tell the court she is afraid of the angry man, so he gets to visit his child a few weekends a month, and pay child support.

Then she is free to go to Aruba to enjoy the martini on a trip paid with child support.

That's right, NOBODY checks child support goes to the child's support.

Mrs. MMM probably wants to ski in style in Aspen and drive a Tesla. MMM is stuck as the cult leader of the skiing poor at ABASIN tailgating in the parking lot.

It's pretty straightforward. It's not hate. Mrs. MMM wants a better quality of life and she will now spend her cash like other millionaires in Colorado.

I could see this as the cause after years of being able to afford some nice things, and realizing, nope it's going to be the poor house for many many more years while the blog is milked.
Must be a pain to ride the bike grocery shopping in the rain, or in Winter...

Hey, he did give up the Leaf. No credit for that one?

I'm no MMM fanboy, but sometimes life happens and it sounds like he's managing it as well as can be expected. Kudos to him.

I appreciate his perspective. For somebody who is going through this, it's always interesting to read about people going through the same process and how they are handling it.

Decades ago,I remember Dear Abby/Ann Landers (can't recall which) went through a divorce and was very open in their column. The knives of the public came out then, also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even post divorce he is telling people in a recent Marketwatch article they can probably retire forever on $800K with $40K a year (5% withdrawal rate), no side hustle needed, and and can be 100% stock market invested because "within a year or two, the market is back up and your remaining stocks are more valuable than ever" and "as for your cost of living going up faster than inflation — it rarely happens."

Even post divorce he is telling people in a recent Marketwatch article they can probably retire forever on $800K with $40K a year (5% withdrawal rate), no side hustle needed, and and can be 100% stock market invested because "within a year or two, the market is back up and your remaining stocks are more valuable than ever" and "as for your cost of living going up faster than inflation — it rarely happens."

Really? He's doing that? YIKES. All I can say is to echo the sentiment of another poster in this thread. He/she said that if anyone is foolish enough to automatically believe what they read in one blog, or from one online "guru", without bothering to read from a variety of sources, then there's not much anyone can do for them (or words to that effect).

He writes about money ….and if you can show me somebody who got divorced without any financial fallout, I'm all ears.

from MMM BLOG early he started the blog only minimally talking about money in generic terms, as time went by he actually started talking about money more as it drew more readers:

But then, you get to cheer up again. Mr. Money Mustache has got the solution for you. As luck would have it, not buying things is not only the solution for saving our planet, it is also the solution to your financial problems!

“But what about being happy?”, you ask. “I am buying these products to make me happy. Won’t my happiness level drop if I stop buying them?”

Great question! That brings us to the next Big Reason Frugality is Great: it actually makes you happier, and there’s science to back it up.

OK. As logical people we probably agree that our main goal in life is to be happy. What if you were to write down the top ten activities that make you happy and are good for your long-term happiness and health, then start spending most of your time doing those things? You would probably find that most of them are not expensive, and that they take so much time you don’t have time for the expensive ones.

My wife and I have have been “retired” for over five years now, and this is what it means to us: We quit our jobs as software engineers just about the time our first baby was due. But we didn’t quit working altogether. I started a little company to build custom houses (since building things was always my most cherished hobby), while she started some very flexible part-time work with another company. Overall, we took about a 100% pay cut (since my construction company ended up losing money while she continued to earn some), but smarter people could accomplish this drastic career switch even more easily.

The idea is that if you are earning quite a bit, but you trim your lifestyle down so you are only living on about 25% of that amount, then you are ready to retire when:.......................................

Having “The Talk” with a Current or Potential Mate
My wife actually invented this post and I think it’s a great concept that we should cover right away.

You see, Mrs. Money Mustache* is an indispensable part of our shared empire of frugality. Believe it or not, she was generally just as excited as I was about making an extra payment on the mortgage. Or buying and selling stuff on Craigslist whenever possible instead of resorting to retail. And she’ll tend to cough just as loudly as I will when she hears about someone borrowing money to buy a new car, or notices everyone driving places that could easily be biked.

“Where can I find such a dream mate for myself,” you may ask?

You may already have one – read on!

When we were just a young couple, we carried along the financial habits from our earlier lives. I was pretty much the way I am now, but young Miss M. was more of a normal person. When we eventually decided to move in together in Colorado and she landed a good job, she celebrated the new lifestyle by acquiring a taste for stylish outdoor active clothing. And a latte and snack each workday at the coffee shop near work. And the odd book from Amazon.com when interesting titles came along. Even I got into the spirit of things, celebrating a job upgrade of my own with a gleaming new motorcycle in 2001. We kept or finances mostly separated – each of us felt we were doing well, but we didn’t really have any joint goals.
The problem was, those packages from Athleta and Amazon kept coming, even when she already had every season covered with sharp gear options. So did the books. The lattes and snacks weren’t going anywhere since you need one each day....So one day we had the Talk. It was a talk about our future, how we both seemed so busy with work, yet we hoped to have children in a few years. I was already into the idea of living off of investments someday, so I threw out the idea of retiring early.. as in BEFORE starting a family....It’s also nice to have such a complicated common interest. We can talk for hours about future plans, how to be able to afford them by being even more frugal or shuffling money this way or that, and about how incredibly bright things are looking in general. It would probably sound pretty mundane and self-congratulatory to an outsider, but it beats arguing about who didn’t do the dishes.

So if you want to move quickly with your own wealth plans, you’ll need buy-in from your own little Mister or Missus.

from MMM BLOG early he started the blog only minimally talking about money in generic terms, as time went by he actually started talking about money more as it drew more readers:

Mrs. MMM is probably now back at REI buying stylish outdoor clothing again.
Because she has the cash and why not if you can easily afford it.

Last edited:
Very true!

But marriage is usually a prerequisite if you want a family.

I have 2 children and was never married. Avoiding marriage is why I'm wealthy.

Are you saying that births are impossible without marriage?

That was true 50 years ago, not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom