My Previous Employer Asked Me If I Would do Contract W*rk for Them; Should I?

NateW

Recycles dryer sheets
I fired at 58 last July after working at Mega Trade Association as a standards developer. I planned to wait until 62 to retire to accumulate what I believed to be an adequate 401k balance. But two things happened that moved my fire date 4 years earlier: 1) Although I really liked what I did, w*rk became very stressful due to extremely heavy work loads (I basically burned out) and to top it all off, we moved office locations within the city and I went from an office to a cubicle. 2) I received a VERY large inheritance; one that would comfortabally cover at least 10 years of living expenses. So in June 2019 I gave a month's notice and in July I left on very good terms.

Immediately after I fired, DW and I moved to a lower cost of living area about 80 miles west and we are just getting settled in, thus I really have not had much of a break after leaving w*rk.

This Wednesday the Director of the Standards Dept. at Mega Trade Association calls me and says they are short two people in the department and a third is going on maternity leave next month. He asks if I would be interested in doing standards development contract work for at least the time the staff person is on maternity leave. Telework, from home, no travel at a rate of $700 to $1000 per day (I almost fell out of my chair when he said the amount). That rate is at least 3 times what I was paid as a salaried worker there.

I told the director I would call him Monday with my answer.

At face value this looks like a good deal, but these are the reasons I am reluctant to do the w*rk:
1. DW and I would lose our approximately $22,000 ACA I insurance subsidy due to the additional income.
2. I see this as becoming the same stressful full time position I was so happy to leave and at an lower pay rate due to me having to work over my allotted hours to get all the work done.
3. We really don't need the money.
4. DW does not want me to do it.
5. I want my free time. Front and center in my mind is the fact my father died at age 55 from a brain tumor and he never enjoyed or had a voluntary retirement. Don't want that to happen to me. You never know when your time has come to depart this earth.

Is my thinking sane as far as this is concerned?

Thanks.

Just my 2 c:
It seems the only reason to accept the offer would be
1. more money (after the first 22000)
and maybe
2. The ego thing to be needed and asked.

Ad 1: You seem not to need more money.
Ad 2: You already have got the ego thing, just by being asked. No need to say yes.

To me all your reasons to turn down the offer have priority, esp. your wife's wish. You have just started to enjoy retirement, this will throw back both of you.
Money cannot buy lifetime.

Enjoy your well deserved ER!

Last edited:
In this situation I can see some downsides:
The work is short term, so it removes the subsidy and you only get 4 month out of it.
All that money has some costs:
You will need liability insurance (which is cheap, but in the end will cost close to $2K)
You will pay 15% in taxes for SS, on top of regular income tax.

If you needed it, I would say do it, but you don't need it.
You will find the years pass too quickly, so time to stay off the treadmill.

Solo 401k can be useful to remove some or most income from your AGI but the rules are complicated.

With the loss of the $22K you are working the first month for free. Definitely reasonable to pass.

At face value this looks like a good deal, but these are the reasons I am reluctant to do the w*rk:
1. DW and I would lose our approximately $22,000 ACA I insurance subsidy due to the additional income.
2. I see this as becoming the same stressful full time position I was so happy to leave and at an lower pay rate due to me having to work over my allotted hours to get all the work done.
5. I want my free time. Front and center in my mind is the fact my father died at age 55 from a brain tumor and he never enjoyed or had a voluntary retirement. Don't want that to happen to me. You never know when your time has come to depart this earth.

Is my thinking sane as far as this is concerned?

Thanks.
Your thinking is 100% correct. Add in the additional negatives mentioned by others, and you should 100% decline the offer.

You don't need to go any further than reason#4.

You don't need the money, you don't want to do it, and DW doesn't want you to do it.

Sounds like an easy decision to me.

NateW,
When I was in the process of quitting my job, I knew they would have allowed me to work from home 20 hours a week, and keep my insurance. I almost suggested this, but stopped myself. I was FIRE'd, and didn't need their money.

A week into retirement I told myself I would do some remote side work if they asked.
Two weeks into retirement I realized that I didn't ever want to do any of that work again, regardless of the conditions and money.

I recommend enjoying your retirement my (on line/forum) friend. The time when you are both retired, and both in reasonable health, is very precious.

Take care, JP

850 daily rate×5 work week×12 maternity leave×0.85 after FICA =43,350. Then, reduce income taxes, reduce ACA > $21k.

Is that worth the stress when you dont need the money?

Thank you everyone for your sound advice and checking my thought process. Monday the answer is "No, but I do appreciate the offer". It was flattering being asked, though.

On my last day of w*rk I mentioned to the editorial manager that at a later date I might be interested in doing some contract editing (no desire now, though) and his reply was, "Excellent; we pay our contract editors $20 -$40 an hour." Amazing how the pay offer increases exponentially when the organization is in a bind!

Thanks.
You've answered your own question. DH dad died of brain tumor and his mom of ovarian cancer. He was offered a work from home, full time position. I stand in his way of even considering this stress filled, unnecessary work load. Our lives are 110% better than working years. We enjoy each other and our time together. Yes, markets are fluctuating and scary. As famous mob boss once said "Forget about it." It's time to enjoy life and don't look back.

No just no. I almost fell for this trap don't do it. Enjoy your life!

In your circumstances - NO!

Thank you everyone for your sound advice and checking my thought process. Monday the answer is "No, but I do appreciate the offer". It was flattering being asked, though.

On my last day of w*rk I mentioned to the editorial manager that at a later date I might be interested in doing some contract editing (no desire now, though) and his reply was, "Excellent; we pay our contract editors $20 -$40 an hour." Amazing how the pay offer increases exponentially when the organization is in a bind!
I think that the management you left behind have done wonders in controlling costs (tongue in cheek).

There's gonna be an implosion, and it's good to hear you'll miss it.

OP, since you make a clear case yourself for turning down the offer, with 100% agreement from this forum (of early retirement enthusiasts), I’m curious what the appeal is? What’s tugging at you in the other direction such that you didn’t turn them down flat? My dad retired but then leapt happily at the chance to return, so I know there is appeal for some people.

The pay is not that great.
$1000/day is $120/hour.
That is OK for contract work, but not great.
My son-in-law is making $140/hr for W2 IT work.
I charged $100/hour as a 1099 before I retired. But, I had not raised my rates for 8+ years because I “made enough”.

Usually, when someone is confronted with a situation like this, they list the pros and cons. I see only cons.

A line from the following song comes to my mind often (actually several lines, this is one of my favorite songs, and the composer, John Prine's favorite). "A question ain't really a question, if you know the answer too".

https://youtu.be/_ujOTP8oPpY?t=285

-ERD50

Agreed with the rest. If the money isn't life-changing, and it sounds like it's not, then there are really no good reasons I see to do it, based on your list.

Bullet #4 should probably be moved to #1 and that's probably reason enough to say no. :p

I am still working, so from my perspective, no way would I go back in your case. Perhaps I would see differently when I have FIRED.

Having said that, you are clearly in the driver's seat here as this company has a predicament. Which means you can negotiate freely! :D

If you end up leaning towards wanting to take the position it I would explain to them the reasons you are leaning towards not taking them up on the offer and see if they will mitigate/remove them. You lose nothing by trying to eliminate the ACA impacts of the offer.

Last edited:
So, you don't need the money and your spouse doesn't want you to take the gig.

The answer is not just no, it's HELL NO! :D

I'm posting my comment before reading the entire thread, but it sounds to me like you've already done a good job of talking yourself out of it.

But, if you need any more convincing: I believe it will be even more stressful than you may think.

My advice is to gracefully say "no" then block his number on your phone. :D

Back
Top Bottom