Natural Gas prices to Increase 71% this winter..............

We keep the thermostat set around 60F

If I could get agreement on that low, I would save a bundle. I cant even get agreement at 68 is ok and someone is always pumping it up to 70.

I'm also in the midwest with bills similar to moghopper. Our energy company is predicting gas increases of 20-40% this winter.
We also try to keep our thermostat at 68-69 during the day and 62 at night. When we're home we try to burn wood in the Kozyheat as much as possible.

I've turned into a real cold-sissy as I've gotten older. 60 degrees at night is fine for me, but sitting on the couch reading, my hands get real cold even at 68 degrees. And that's with flannel-lined pants, sweater, and a wool hat on. What's it going to be like when I'm 70?

TromboneAl said:
What's it going to be like when I'm 70?

Old_man.jpg

TromboneAl said:
I've turned into a real cold-sissy as I've gotten older.  60 degrees at night is fine for me, but sitting on the couch reading, my hands get real cold even at 68 degrees.  And that's with flannel-lined pants, sweater, and a wool hat on.  What's it going to be like when I'm 70?
This thread reminds me that our 12-year-old has been raised without ever playing the following traditional popular family games:
"CLOSE THAT DOOR, you're letting out all the heat!!"
"Who's been messing with the thermostat!?!"
"Today, kids, we learn how to install storm windows!"
"Hey, son, lemme show you how to winterize your car."
"No, you have to let a trickle of water run out or the pipe will freeze and burst."
"I don't care, I'm your mother and you're making me cold, so put your sweater on."

Plus these superhighway favorites:
"Are we there yet?"
"He's looking at me!!!"
"But, honey, we just passed a rest station 10 minutes ago and the next one isn't for another hour."
"I don't care how far we've driven today, so help me if you kids don't behave I'll turn this car around and the vacation will be OVER."
"I spy a billboard with..."

And of course my Pennsylvania/Ohio favorite:
"What the @#$% are you doing, were you born in a barn?!?"

Another one I like ...

"close the door! I am not heating the world!"

TromboneAl said:
BTW I have very little confidence in that 71% increase figure.  I'm guessing that by December prices will be at their typical December levels.

Not a chance!  Forward NYMEX natural gas prices for January 2006 delivery are around $12 / million cubic feet.  "Typical" historical prices are around $3 / mcf and last year's price was around $6 / mcf.  Prior to Katrina Natural Gas for January delivery was about $10 / Mcf.

Get ready for higher heating and electric bills to go along with your higher gasoline costs.

. . . Yrs to Go said:
Not a chance!  Forward NYMEX natural gas prices for January 2006 delivery are around $12 / million cubic feet.  "Typical" historical prices are around $3 / mcf and last year's price was around $6 / mcf.  Prior to Katrina Natural Gas for January delivery was about $10 / Mcf. 

Get ready for higher heating and electric bills to go along with your higher gasoline costs.

Yup, some Analysts are even quoting $15 this winter. For the thin-blooded types on the board, get ready to layer on some extra sweaters.

My very first job was working for Owens Corning (long before asbestos litigation killed them). Worked on superinsulated houses. R40 walls, R60 ceilings, special vapor and air infiltration barriers, humidity control, gas backfilled low-e windows, air (heat) exchangers, the whole bit. Even built my first house that way. Doesn't take huge $ to make a house very energy efficient.

Today's houses, big and small, are mostly built like crap with respect to energy even though the technology has been out there. Even when proper materials are spec'd they are often installed poorly (air infiltration wraps are a good example). I suspect that will change. [Northern Europeans have been building highly energy efficient homes for decades].

Back
Top Bottom