New Car Jones

Jay_Gatsby said:
That's a rather expensive birthday present, but hey, if you've got the money and you don't need it for FIRE, go for it!

You have to be a car guy to appreciate it. Some things are simply worth the cost. IOHP That is. Others like to eat :D ..... out a lot.

SWR

Arif said:
That is one sweet ride. BTW- I dream on ebay. My plan is to get a black one next year for my 34th birthday. Same here give me a 6sp with carbon fiber interior and I'm in heaven. We'll have to compare notes when we get them.

I'm a fellow car guy.  I'll live vicariously through you.  I drive the "poor man's Porsche"--a 2003 Nissan 350Z.

If and when I buy another sports car, it will be a Ferrari 308.  You can pick them up for between $30 and $40k and, along with the 911, are one of THE classic sports car body styles.

SLC Tortfeasor said:
I'm a fellow car guy.  I'll live vicariously through you.  I drive the "poor man's Porsche"--a 2003 Nissan 350Z.

If and when I buy another sports car, it will be a Ferrari 308.  You can pick them up for between $30 and $40k and, along with the 911, are one of THE classic sports car body styles.

I'd rather have the Ferrari 308 than the Porche 911, if I were looking to buy a classic luxury sportscar. A Ferrari is less common than a Porsche on the road.

Jay_Gatsby said:
I'd rather have the Ferrari 308 than the Porche 911, if I were looking to buy a classic luxury sportscar. A Ferrari is less common than a Porsche on the road.

In my time I have had the pleasure of owning a Boxer, 308, and a 1989 328. The 4th last 328 Quatro made actually. While the Pinafarini is timeless and titilating, and having also owned over the years such other classics and exotics as Lotus Esprit S4 & V8, older Porsches (A porsche is Not really an exotic I suppose) MG, Triumph, Morgan, AC, etc. And having driven Lambourghinis and The Exotic Jaguar. I now (in my older age :) ) consider the Post 2001 Porsche 911/996 TT X50 or GT2 to be the refined man's sports car. IMHO of course. Purely because it is drivable as an every day car, which certainly the Ferraris and Lotus' were not. When I finally break down and justify one, it will be my only daily driver.

SWR

ShokWaveRider said:
In my time I have had the pleasure of owning a Boxer, 308, and a 1989 328. The 4th last 328 Quatro made actually. While the Pinafarini is timeless and titilating, and having also owned over the years such other classics and exotics as Lotus Esprit S4 & V8, older Porsches (A porsche is Not really an exotic I suppose) MG, Triumph, Morgan, AC, etc. And having driven Lambourghinis and The Exotic Jaguar. I now (in my older age :) ) consider the Post 2001 Porsche 911/996 TT X50 or GT2 to be the refined man's sports car. IMHO of course. Purely because it is drivable as an every day car, which certainly the Ferraris and Lotus' were not. When I finally break down and justify one, it will be my only daily driver.

SWR

At that point in your life, you're probably looking more for the selfish driving experience, rather than impressing anyone with an unusual sportscar.

Then again, check these out:

http://tinyurl.com/cmp5j
http://tinyurl.com/9fwo3
[you get a reflection shot of the owner in one of the photos.] :)

EDIT: Shortened URL's

Jay_Gatsby said:
Then again, check these out:

http://tinyurl.com/cmp5j
http://tinyurl.com/9fwo3
[you get a reflection shot of the owner in one of the photos.]  :)

EDIT: Shortened URL's

I've seen these.  There's clearly something wrong with the first one, or it wouldn't have a "buy it now price" under $24k.  Either that, or the seller is a dummy.  And as for the "Murrah," did you look at the interior of that thing?  Monstrous!  The reflection of the photographer is funny though.  Obviously, a man with a very different taste in both cars and clothes.

In my time I have had the pleasure of owning a Boxer, 308, and a 1989 328. The 4th last 328 Quatro made actually. While the Pinafarini is timeless and titilating, and having also owned over the years such other classics and exotics as Lotus Esprit S4 & V8, older Porsches (A porsche is Not really an exotic I suppose) MG, Triumph, Morgan, AC,  etc. And having driven Lambourghinis and The Exotic Jaguar. I now (in my older age  ) consider the Post 2001 Porsche 911/996 TT X50 or GT2 to be the refined man's sports car. IMHO of course. Purely because it is drivable as an every day car, which certainly the Ferraris and Lotus' were not. When I finally break down and justify one, it will be my only daily driver.
That is quite a resume of cars.
This was my first car when I was 16. After years of tinkering it looks nothing like when I bought it. Matter of fact I still remember the lady at State Farm laughing at me when I asked her how much would insurance be for a 16 year old with a sports car. Ah to be young again.

Attachments

• Copy of Frontquarter.jpg
    Copy of Frontquarter.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 53
The "mera" is a rebodied Fiero. Hence the interior. Buy a used Fiero and drive it into the ground without regret. Also, anybody interested in used Ferrari's had best research tune-up and maintenance costs. I think it runs around $3500/$5000 for a tune on a 308/28 and up to $7500 on a 12 cylinder Testarossa. Buy a used NSX, have more performance, a better driving experience, a rarer car, better reliability and maintenance at a fraction of the cost.

anonimitycity said:
The "mera" is a rebodied Fiero. Hence the interior. Buy a used Fiero and drive it into the ground without regret. Also, anybody interested in used Ferrari's had best research tune-up and maintenance costs. I think it runs around $3500/$5000 for a tune on a 308/28 and up to $7500 on a 12 cylinder Testarossa. Buy a used NSX, have more performance, a better driving experience, a rarer car, better reliability and maintenance at a fraction of the cost.

Unless of course, like myself, you DIY. I have always maintained all my cars after warranty. Even the Newer cars with OBD2, you can use your computer to find the problems. The older sports ares are even easier. But you do need to be mechanically inclined of course and need a garage to do the maintenance in. Oil changes I leave to the pros, and always use synthetic oils. EVEN in my 1988 Bronco II.

SWR

anonimitycity said:

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Arif said:
That is quite a resume of cars.
This was my first car when I was 16. After years of tinkering it looks nothing like when I bought it. Matter of fact I still remember the lady at State Farm laughing at me when I asked her how much would insurance be for a 16 year old with a sports car. Ah to be young again.

Very nice car Arif, I miss my 73 Scarab Zed :)

I've had new car fever lately. Not too long ago I'd often say I doubt I'll ever buy a new car. My granddad--among others--thinks buying new and driving it several years is cheaper than buying used. So far I've come out very cheaply with used cars, but I'm starting to wonder if it's because I'm good or just lucky. My sister has had horrible luck with used cars, but then she's terribly rough on the new ones, too.

Someone earlier mentioned rentals, but rentals always make me realize how old, decrepit and noisy my current ride is. (I periodically get rentals for business trips.)

I had been planning to put about $1k in repairs into my car to keep it going for another couple of years, but now I'm wondering about the wisdom of that versus buying a replacement used versus buying new. Much depends on the move back to TX, though, so no car decisions until I figure that one out.

I'm driving a new to me car; a 2003 Camry with 15K miles. It's a very smooth ride compared to my 1998 Honda Odyssey. Lower, but smoother.

Very nice car Arif, I miss my 73 Scarab Zed

Yeah too bad it is collecting dust in storage. Maybe my son will drive before I do (he's 3 years old).

Back
Top Bottom