New Electricity Provider

kannon

Recycles dryer sheets
Morning All -

Got an email that said it's time to renew our electricity supplier.

Ok - well I am trying to be more environmentally conscious.

Surprisingly, when I looked at our current supplier cost of Constellation vs AEP (potential supplier) the AEP cost for 100% renewable was better than the current Constellation rate of non-renewable sources.

So I am leaning towards going with AEP 100% renewable, keeping current gas supplier.

This good news for us and the environment. Just doesn't seem rationale.

Anyone else switch to 100% renewable electricity supplier?

Kannon

never heard of one. I can't imagine anyone at this time to be 100 percent renewable energy provider.

We don't get to choose our vendor for electricity. I imagine that's the case for most US residents.

Morning All -

Got an email that said it's time to renew our electricity supplier.

Ok - well I am trying to be more environmentally conscious.

Surprisingly, when I looked at our current supplier cost of Constellation vs AEP (potential supplier) the AEP cost for 100% renewable was better than the current Constellation rate of non-renewable sources.

So I am leaning towards going with AEP 100% renewable, keeping current gas supplier.

This good news for us and the environment. Just doesn't seem rationale.

Anyone else switch to 100% renewable electricity supplier?

Kannon
This past week, I received a letter to choose 100% renewable. In our state of NJ, this letter clearly states you'll pay more. For now I will pass. These letters have been coming for many years.

Unfortunately, we discarded the letter. It did mention the specific company.

NJ will be about 50% wind source about 2050. I guess each state has its challenges and advantages.
The 100% Renewable New Jersey Solution – New Jersey PACE

We most likely would switch if available.

On the plus side our supplier is already about 50% hydro and we have the lowest rates in the state and below the national average.

Across the creek, in Canada, there a very large wind farm that faces toward Lake Superior. Have read an article that this farm is considering an expansion with an intent to send juice to this side of the border.

Wind and water as sources of power is very real up here.

Picture is of our main hydro plant, build in the 1900ish. Its a beautiful old building and still works like a charm.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...D01633C6B484E2CBF7D9C4794FDB2907E&FORM=IQFRBA

We've been purchasing 100% renewable energy for many years, and 3 years ago we had solar panels installed, which now covers about 1/3 of our energy needs.

This past week, I received a letter to choose 100% renewable. In our state of NJ, this letter clearly states you'll pay more. For now I will pass. These letters have been coming for many years.

Unfortunately, we discarded the letter. It did mention the specific company.

NJ will be about 50% wind source about 2050. I guess each state has its challenges and advantages.

We once went with an alternate supplier many years ago. Within 6 months we switched back to PSEG. The marketing materials from these companies are generally misleading to get you to sign up. Most always, the cost is higher.

PSEG does its part. Anywhere that the sunshine is good there are solar panels on the telephone poles. We also periodically see once barren/open land with solar farms on them now.

I do not believe it changes anything. All the energy available is a mix of renewable and other consumable derived sources like fossil fuel, nuclear, coal, or similar. So if you feel better saying you have 100% renewable, fine for you. But the others on the system are getting a relatively higher percentage of consumable derived energy. In the end the utility provides the same total energy as required, from their mix of sources.

I agree that the marketing for the renewable energy sourced do make it sound like no cost penalty, however that is usually felt once the real bill arrives.

Electricity has entered the renewal game played by phone/cable/internet providers in that if you call your current or prospective electricity provider and tell them you can get a better rate from some other provider, they will beat it. They generally know the rates the other companies offer.

Check the connect/disconnet fees .
Check your current provider make sure s rate change is not comming soon.
Make sure there are no hidden fees like if there is a heatwave and a high demand causes unchanging, happened to gas or electric a few years ago.

I’ve been shopping around for alternate providers for many years. I pay less every year for electricity. Green energy is getting much more competitive but still costs more in my area. I assume the cost for renewable may be artificially low due to clever shenanigans with renewable credits. Competition is good for consumers in the short and medium run. Those solar panel cost projections based on ever increasing cost for conventional power didn’t hold up at all .

We live in one of the cities in Texas with a municipally-owned electric utility. We have no option to choose a different provider. So all this talk of changing is sort-of foreign to me.

Good news is their rates are generally competitive, currently 10-11 cents per kWh (depending on usage and seasonal cost adjustments). Service and reliability are also very good. And they currently buy 70% from renewable sources, with a goal of 100% in the next 5 years.

I generally like having choice and competition. But as long as the local outfit stays competitive, I have no real complaints.

I do not believe it changes anything. All the energy available is a mix of renewable and other consumable derived sources like fossil fuel, nuclear, coal, or similar. So if you feel better saying you have 100% renewable, fine for you. But the others on the system are getting a relatively higher percentage of consumable derived energy. In the end the utility provides the same total energy as required, from their mix of sources.

I agree that the marketing for the renewable energy sourced do make it sound like no cost penalty, however that is usually felt once the real bill arrives.

+
Unless the new electric company has a direct wire to the OP's house, there is no way the electricity generated by a renewable source is actually going to the OP's house.
The OP will still get electricity generated by gas/coal as currently happens.
It's all an accounting fudge/fake , as now the power company will say they buy $X per year of renewable (but they probably do already) and attribute that to the OP.

+
Unless the new electric company has a direct wire to the OP's house, there is no way the electricity generated by a renewable source is actually going to the OP's house.
The OP will still get electricity generated by gas/coal as currently happens.
It's all an accounting fudge/fake , as now the power company will say they buy $X per year of renewable (but they probably do already) and attribute that to the OP.

Does it really matter if the renewable power itself is going to the OPs home or that the total use is produced by renewables within the generating company? Does it really matter whether he is actually using it or someone in the next county?

Our cost is .091 per kilowatt, with approx. 50% being renewable.

Our local electrical coop had some kind of deal where you could buy shares of solar energy that's applied to your bill. The rate works out to about 25 cents more per month right now, but the solar rate is locked for 25 years, so potentially it could save me money down the line. It basically is accounting tricks, and yes, I'm "using" more solar but I don't think they actually bought more solar panels so other customers are using less solar. Maybe I was a sap to fall for it, but I did. Oh yeah, you can pick up a sign to put in your front yard to show how green you are. I've passed on that.

Our city owned provider installed a solar farm and we paid a nominal fee to 'buy in'. We get 80‰ of our power from solar, and pay a $14 a month surcharge for this.

our energy company and one more in the state have asked for a 25% percent rate hike on the customers base rate. they say the reason is that they want to invest in wind and solar energy, and think the customers should pay for the infrastructure. When asked why they do not think that they should reinvest some of the companies enormous profits, they will not give an answer, they simply say that this is the way they feel it should be funded. We have no options on energy providers, as there is only one where we live, but believe it or not there is a different company power available, literally right across the street form me, but not available to me.

frank

As far as choosing what Elec. company you want, if you can in your area is basically just a name you will pay your bill too. The company that has it's poles, wire and equipment is the ONLY Elec. company that owns this property. So, any maintence is done by the company that owns the infrastructure that supplies power to your home. It then is just a money exchange between the Elec. companies and a maintence agreement that most likely is a wash for the power/work that is supplied to the consumer.

The only other I have seen when you have a choice, is that one Elec. company owns both entities in your area and can give you a choice of all green or a mix. You will never see total green electric supplier. Your lights would be very undependable and not reliable at all. The wind doesn't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine.

Last edited:
Does it really matter if the renewable power itself is going to the OPs home or that the total use is produced by renewables within the generating company? Does it really matter whether he is actually using it or someone in the next county?

Our cost is .091 per kilowatt, with approx. 50% being renewable.

It only matters if the OP thinks they are actually getting "green" power, as they are deluding themselves.

Especially if they are paying extra for "green" power, and yet simply getting coal power, (if you traced each electron in the power lines).

I'm getting whatever percentage my utility buys in coal/gas/solar/wind/hydro generated whether I pay the rate I'm paying, or pay an extra $5 per month. Nothing changes except my cost.

Back
Top Bottom