New Twist to ER Plans

foxfirev5

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have planned to jump ship early next year after suffering through one year syndrome. My biggest reason, in addition to an old guy under the bus review, was the amount of travel involved. I have spent over 4 nights per week on the road for over 35 years.
Today I got a mandatory directive to immediately reduce travel by a minimum of one night per week. Also I was required to submit an action plan to accomplish this goal. I view this as a windfall that can only work in my favor. The only scenario that would be better would be a severance package. Has anybody dealt with this situation?

Well, the "old man under the bus" review - yes. Travel for staff level folks was considered (by management) to be a "perk." Even when you w*rked 18 hours/day on a special project, mgmnt. could never understand why the peons weren't thrilled with the "travel opportunity." At one time "travel" (for instance, to national meetings) was considered a standard perk at certain levels - level one went every 2 years, level 2 went every year, etc.) But, if you had an actual "w*rk" assignment in the filed, that counted as one of your "perk" travels.

Does that count, foxfirev5?

Today I got a mandatory directive to immediately reduce travel by a minimum of one night per week. Also I was required to submit an action plan to accomplish this goal.....

Seems easy to me. Just tell them you can phone the clients you don't want to travel to visit. The best part is you can tell the clients that if they don't like it to "talk to the BIG BOYS, here's the number to call".

you may have to reintroduce yourself to DW/DH assuming you are married.
This is a huge life adjustment.

Absolutely a great thing for you..severance might still be possible. If you can handle being in your environment a few months, i suggest you draft your plan to get you to just 30 or 60 days past your RE date. This way, if they decide to pull the plug, a severance can be warranted!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks for the advice. DW has been very understanding over the years, but I think it's about time to pull the plug severance or no severance.

If you stayed and did not travel, would you have to go into an office or would you be able to work from home.

If you still enjoy your work you may want to try low/no travel for a while and see how it works for you. If it doesn't work out you can always just resign. Besides, they may later decide to offer a severance program.

Back
Top Bottom