No more hair salons ?

I used to get my hair done at a salon associated with a chain of hair product stores, and they always included a product to take home. I do believe that some of these professional hair products are better than the generics, at least for hair that has been coloured. The products that hairdressers sell at the salon are marked up. If you like a product, note the name and shop for it at a hair product store. They usually have larger sizes at a discount.

I have my wife cut my hair, simple clipper cut, #6 all over. Then she trims the back and over my ears without the guard. No way ever will I dye my hair, it is now more grey then brown. If it falls out or turns grey, that is how it will be. No combovers, no plugs, no coloring, and best of all no hassles!

Saves a lot of money doing it at home vs paying to get it done. Just wish i could get my wife to get off the hairstylist cut and coloring routine.

For those that give themselves short buzz cuts do you have any tips? I know that my barber uses a #2 guard but other than that I'm clueless.
There are some easy videos on YouTube!
#2 gaurd on a Wahl trimmer is all that is required for my head ever since USAF in 1988!
Used to have a barber do it but then wife decided she wanted to about a year ago, since I don't care either way we bought an inexpensive Wahl set that appears to be very nice and she does it every two weeks....and she loves doing it!
Happy Wife, Happy Life!
O0

When I was a young boy about 13 or so, my father used to give me $0.75 and send me (I hitchhiked) to a barber shop ran by some big burly Russian guys. The haircut was $0.50 and if I moved in the chair, the barber would scowl at me and make me sit still. But for the $0.25 extra dad gave me, I got to spend it on whatever I wanted.;)

When I was in college in living in Southbury, Connecticut, I used to get my haircut by a pair of brothers that ran the Oxford, Connecticut Post Office, a one room affair with two barber chairs in a back room. Convenient for getting stamps, etc.

Since being married (this time), DW cuts my hair as she was a hairdresser long before she met me. She treats me like the Russian barbers did, but no extra money afterwards. First wife scalped me, but she was not a barber.

Thia is all true....I did not make this stuff up.

BTW, even at this age, I still have a full head of hair (but not light brown anymore)!

Since my hair is thinning on top (well, actually it pretty much left) I only have the sides to consider. I can trim around my ears and shave the back of my neck myself but I do go to the military barber for $8 about every 6-8 months for a treat. He likes to talk with his customers so he spends a lot of time and gives a shoulder massage when he is finished cutting my hair.

Cheers!

I'm a member of the underground Flowbee movement. A regular mens haircut is too easy to pay someone else to do it. I figure it is just another skill to learn.

I read Flobee sells about 90K units a year and has not advertised since about 1990. All word of mouth.

I'm a member of the underground Flowbee movement. A regular mens haircut is too easy to pay someone else to do it. I figure it is just another skill to learn.

I read Flobee sells about 90K units a year and has not advertised since about 1990. All word of mouth.

I did not have any luck with the Flowbee. What length do you cut your hair? Maybe that has something to do with it.

When I was a young boy about 13 or so, my father used to give me $0.75 and send me (I hitchhiked) to a barber shop ran by some big burly Russian guys. The haircut was $0.50 and if I moved in the chair, the barber would scowl at me and make me sit still. But for the $0.25 extra dad gave me, I got to spend it on whatever I wanted.;) ...

When I was 13, one day my father decided to try his new electric clipper on me. After a minute or two, he gave me some money and said I should go to a barber to have him finish the job.

Oh, the barber tried hard, but as he could not glue the hair back, there was only so much he could do. My friends at school made fun of me the next day, but I shrugged it off. The truth was that I was so nerdy, I did not even bother to look in the mirror to see how my hair looked in the back. But the look of my older sister's face told me that it had to be really bad. If I recalled correctly, my mother felt sorry for me too.

But after that one time, my father never tried his clipper again.

Last edited:
I used to get my hair done at a salon associated with a chain of hair product stores, and they always included a product to take home. I do believe that some of these professional hair products are better than the generics, at least for hair that has been coloured. The products that hairdressers sell at the salon are marked up. If you like a product, note the name and shop for it at a hair product store. They usually have larger sizes at a discount.

I've been going to the same stylist since I moved here. First mom, now daughter. Started dying about 3 years ago when I felt old and grey. Originally dark brown, so it was easy. It feels as relaxing as a massage, so I consider it a treat to myself. I buy a couple of products there too, not a lot. She owns her own business, is sole proprietor, and works hard to have enough income so her 16 year old can get CHIP insurance rather than Medicaid. I can afford it, so why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The cordless Wahl set is nice.

I have flowbee envy though. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone

DH had a barber he liked but the barber was so popular you needed an appointment or had to wait. I 'accidentally' purchased a trimmer set at Costco when they were on sale so when DH had to have a haircut and couldn't get in to the barber, I was ready to go!

DH is happy with the results and the convenience so I'm his new barber. I think I'm up to five haircuts so the trimmer is more than paid for.

DH had a barber he liked but the barber was so popular you needed an appointment or had to wait. I 'accidentally' purchased a trimmer set at Costco when they were on sale so when DH had to have a haircut and couldn't get in to the barber, I was ready to go!

DH is happy with the results and the convenience so I'm his new barber. I think I'm up to five haircuts so the trimmer is more than paid for.

I was semi sold after my first clipper cut and that was in high school when long hair was popular. It took me a few more years to catch on 100% but I was a teenager at the time.

I use the barber school here in town. $5 plus tip. I get it cut rather short about every 3 months. The instructor always gives in a going over after the student finishes. Only had one bad cut and the instructor trimmed it up so it looked good but was just shorter than I normally liked. Could have prevented that by telling the student that I thought the setting was too low on his clippers. I'll speak up next time!

I posted this in another thread. There were some amazingly complicated hairstyles in ancient times. You would have needed a slave to dress your hair if you were a well to do woman in Ancient Rome.

History buffs may enjoy Janet Stephens' channel. She is a hairstylist in Baltimore who has become a skilled amateur archaeologist of hairstyles in her spare time. She has presented to archaeological conferences and had papers published.

Janet Stephens - Hair Designer at Studio 921 Salon & Day Spa

On Pins and Needles: Stylist Turns Ancient Hairdo Debate on Its Head - WSJ

An interview with Janet on the History Blog:
The History Blog » Blog Archive » Janet Stephens: Intrepid Hairdressing Archaeologist

Here is her take on the Roman Vestal Virgins' hairstyle. All that work just to cover it up!
Vestal Hairdressing: recreating the "Seni Crines" - YouTube

And here is a Civil War hairstyle:
Authentic Civil War Hairstyle - YouTube

I posted this in another thread. There were some amazingly complicated hairstyles in ancient times. You would have needed a slave to dress your hair if you were a well to do woman in Ancient Rome.

Oh my. I'll stick with my ponytail :D

I moved to SoCal in '97, and found the hairdressers here to be totally hit or miss: great cut first visit, awful thenceforward! Looking for a solution I remembered an old TV Commercial and have since been a card carrying member of the FlowBee club. On my second one, since the first one stopped working after 8 or 9 years.

2 1/8" spacer on top; 1/8" spacer on back and sides. That's added to the roughly 1/2" that's built in. Results are on display in the recent photos thread! ;)

Mission accomplished.

I purchased the cheapest Wahl trimmer from amazon ($18) and it included a bunch of guides, scissors, brush, combs, and some oil. I gave myself a haircut this morning and it wasn't bad -- not as perfect as from my barber ($20) but good enough. I ended up using guides number #2 (1/4"), 3 (3/8") and 4 (1/2"). I use the #2 on the sides/back, #3 on the top, and #4 at the front. I did not have any blending problems but I don't have quite as much as hair as when I was younger. DW had to get a few loose hairs with scissors that I missed.

This will be significantly more convenient than going to my old barber. He was always very busy (a good sign) but I didn't like having to get my haircut during his slow hours. Also we're traveling and doing extended stays in different spots in the US and I now I don't need to find a new barber/hair dresser at each place.

Mission accomplished.

I purchased the cheapest Wahl trimmer from amazon ($18) and it included a bunch of guides, scissors, brush, combs, and some oil. I gave myself a haircut this morning and it wasn't bad -- not as perfect as from my barber ($20) but good enough. I ended up using guides number #2 (1/4"), 3 (3/8") and 4 (1/2"). I use the #2 on the sides/back, #3 on the top, and #4 at the front. I did not have any blending problems but I don't have quite as much as hair as when I was younger. DW had to get a few loose hairs with scissors that I missed.

This will be significantly more convenient than going to my old barber. He was always very busy (a good sign) but I didn't like having to get my haircut during his slow hours. Also we're traveling and doing extended stays in different spots in the US and I now I don't need to find a new barber/hair dresser at each place.

Sweet !

Ah, this thread reminds me to go get a haircut. I guess my wife likes my tousled hair, and she keeps saying it's not that long. But it's been more than 2 months.

I had a nice surprise today. I had lunch with some girlfriends who complimented me on my (no longer coloured) hair. One even said it makes me look younger!

:cool:

I have cut my own hair for the last 20 years with Flowbee. I am on my second one.

My wife on the other hand pays for hair cuts, colors, manicure, pedicures, massages.

She also makes a bit more money than me.

I will retire at 55, she at 61-62.

That's how it works..............:cool:

I had a nice surprise today. I had lunch with some girlfriends who complimented me on my (no longer coloured) hair. One even said it makes me look younger!

:cool:
Nice!

Back
Top Bottom