Cutting my own hair and your advice

My ex cut my hair 3 on top 2 on sides -it was great because I never had to look at it and she could never complain about my haircut! I did buzzed for a quite a while but am now exercising my post-FIRE freedom by growing my hair out and hit a chain salon every 3-4 months so I don't look too unkempt. It really doesn't help with dating but neither does being "unemployed" so I may as well look the part!

I've tried it a few times but I need more practice... I still go "the" local barber about half the time just to find out what's going in the area. He's a warehouse of info.

I bought Crea Clip type guides from Amazon. I let my hair grow long enough I can brush it forward and even cut the back myself. I had to experiment a bit but now it looks much better than any salon cut I've ever had. I realized it is because the guides make for a perfectly even cut all around.

They have men's guides, but DH like getting his done at a salon so I don't know how they would work for men.

https://creaproducts.com/collections/tutorials

I use a #2 all over and have my wife shave the back of my neck.

I have always been intrigued with the Flowbee. Can you do one inch length with one all an overall length?

Yes, it comes with different adapters that connect together so can go from maybe 1/2" on up. Very easy and quick if you want a single length, probably takes no more than a couple minutes, and it gives a consistent cut and no cleanup mess. It also comes with a tapper adapter but never used it. I just finish up with a regular razor blade for the neck area.

I bought a Conair Even Cut during the pandemic. Rechargeable battery, it works well.

I go out on the lawn in a T shirt and run it over my head for a few minutes and shake off like a dog to keep the hair outside.

Clippers are needed for trimming the back of the neck.

I'm back to the shop for haircuts now, but I'll keep the Conair for backup and emergency haircuts when I can't get to town.

Second best $50 I ever spent

Haven't been to a barber in >45yrs.
Conair clipper -quick and EZ.

Google: men's haircut is $30 + tip(?)

I have always been intrigued with the Flowbee. Can you do one inch length with one all an overall length?
You can cut a uniform length in half-inch increments, so yes. I go with the 1.75" overall, then come back with the angled one, which goes from 1.75 to 0.75 on the back and sides. For straight, limp hair, like mine, it's great. Not so great, apparently, for curlier/less limp hair, but sometimes manageable if done when hair is damp.

zinger1457 & sengsational >>> Thanks. The Wahl with inch attachment works well for me but may try one.

This is the method I use to cut my hair at home - so simple, and it always comes out great!

Haircut

Today was the second time cutting my hair with the Wahl clipper. He is my thoughts and look for your advice.

It's a great way to save time and money. Any advice from people who cut their own hair?

I have been cutting my own hair since the pandemic started, with varying degrees of success. Sometimes it looks just fine, a few times it was not too good.

My advice- have an assortment of hats around. It helps that I wear glasses, maybe. Also I have some skin cancer and other scars on my face anyway, and as long as I get up in the morning and feel ok it's a good day. My wife still loves me.

It might pay to have a barber do it if you work in an office or are dating though.

It's probably

I've been using a Wahl set for 15 years.

I use the #2 all over. Then use the Left and Right angled heads around each ear.

Then I use #1 on my sideburns and around the back.

I shake it out and go over everything with the #2 again just to make sure I don't miss any hairs.

Is it elegant? No, but I don't really care. It is $0 and I can do it every 2-3 weeks.

This might be harder if are using the guards that allow for longer hair. Or if you are just using on the sides back and letting the top be long.

If I want my hair a bit longer I will use 3 and 2 or maybe 4 and 3. The Left/Right around the ear trimmers are a bit trickier if you are trying to go longer.

Good luck!

I cut my own hair for years back when I was working and LBYM'ing so I could retire some day. I used my kitchen scissors because I already had them, and since I felt that for me the whole point was to save (not spend) money. Luckily I have curly hair, and curls hide many mistakes, so it all worked out. :D

Now, I'm 74 years old with achy joints so I get my hair cut at Supercuts. I only go there maybe once or twice a year and tell them to cut it really short. :LOL:

I have shaved my own head to 1/16" all over which is very short. It's easy because it's all one length. I do it approx. every 3 weeks. Saves me around $400/yr.

Female here. I have very thick wavy short hair. When lockdown happened I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on cutting hair like mine, then did my own (and my partner’s and my mother’s). I still cut my partner’s and my hair, and we are saving a lot of money - love LBYM!

I stretch plastic wrap across the bathroom sink to keep hair out of the drain and cut my hair in front of the bathroom mirror, then roll up the plastic wrap and dispose of the hair neatly.

My partner’s cut is better than mine, because I really struggle with cutting the back of my own hair, but the waves hide most issues.

I hope Wahl doesn't lose its quality. Great trimmer, but my DGF cuts mine since Covid. Hopefully never going another way, unless it all falls out, in which case I will proudly 'go cue ball'.

Decided to try myself when I removed the mullet yesterday. Haircuts are too expensive to pay for a buzz. #4 buzz looks pretty good. The sides were already a bit shorter so it blended in pretty well. Next maintenance cut will be a bigger test as I want the sides a bit shorter and will have to trim around the ears. Cleaning up the neckline will probably be my biggest challenge looking in two mirrors.

Today was the second time cutting my hair with the Wahl clipper. He is my thoughts and look for your advice.

Clipper length - location - thoughts
3 - lower half of sides - possibly the easiest part
4 - top half of sides - easy but Ned to work on evening the top portion, making it a straight line across
8 - top of head - harder; try to use clipper over comb but not great at it yet
2 - sideburns - easy

Top of the head is the hardest part for me. I want to keep it just long enough to part the hair while still somewhat short.

FYI, Wahl clippers are a great price and after 2 haircuts they already paid for themselves!

It's a great way to save time and money. Any advice from people who cut their own hair?

All during the pandemic I cut my own hair. Went to the barber last month and here in Uruguay it cost $7 and definitely looks better than I can ever do, so I will splurge!

I’ve been using the Wahl Sterling Eclipse model for years. It’s from their professional line and with the 3/4 size it is easier for me to DIY.

I also recommend the Philips Norelco One Blade kit for doing the detail work around your ears and for cleaning up your neck. I do pretty well with just holding my one hand where I want the hairline to end on the neck and then working the area below with the One Blade.

Best regards,
Chris

Went to a barber today and like everything else he raised his prices. Almost a 20% increase. Will go back to more DIY cuts.

Some other free advice on cutting your own hair.

Do it before social hour, not after.

Back
Top Bottom