O.K., so seeking investment advice

Martha said:
Grand Banks (I missed that name switch), the first sign of presbyopia is taking off your glasses to read.

Dang, and up until now I wasnt big on religion... :(

Although it appears I have no choice, I'm not even sure I want to become a presbyopian.

Martha said:
I see that while I was gone, Laurence shot way past me in posts. :( :mad:

Sorry! Like I said to someone else, it just means I like to talk too much!

Laurence said:
My poor purchases, ELN and DSCO have now both broken even again, and I have some cash rolled into my etrade account for a total of 6k cash and 6k equities in the above stocks. So I'm looking for ideas.

Laurence, I showed my DH your question concerning sale of Discovery Labs, and letting him type a response under my name; :confused:

OK, I'm blaming you, Laurence, for my wife making me respond here. I've owned DSCO for about 3-4 years, buying most of it below $2.50/share, so I'm sitting on some profits. You know there have been plenty of delays with FDA approval of their molecule. Mediocre management I suspect, but I still like the actual molecule they hold the patent on. The company holds a letter of approval from the FDA conditional upon cleanup of their manufacturing process and labeling issues. I don't believe this approval letter is factored into the share price, although the process has begun. If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago a respected analyst said the price should go to $13 upon approval. The FDA likes the Phase III results right now; they just have problems with the manufacturing process. DSCO is currently cleaning this up before the end of July. The question I can't answer is "will DISCO management keep messing up forever?" I'm holding. I believe the rewards far out weigh the risks at this point in time. Nevertheless, it's still a biotech stock. It's also a low cost molecule in a high cost world, a synthetic molecule that mimics--and surpasses--surfactants extracted from pigs and cows, oh my.

BTW, I've been teasing my wife about all her boyfriends that she always talks to here in digital retirement land. I told her she now has to 'procure' talking girlfriends for me. She was not amused. I better go back outside. Best of luck with your stock picks.

Greg

Martha said:
BTW, I've been teasing my wife about all her boyfriends that she always talks to here in digital retirement land. I told her she now has to 'procure' talking girlfriends for me.

Martha, since we suspect he (?) is really a 13-year-old girl from Hoboken, hook Greg up with pen-pal JG. :D

REW

Hey Martha, tell Dad thanks! ;)

Boyfriends? Didn't you tell him his family got bigger? I like tri-tip and garlic mashed potatos for Sunday dinner, btw. :D

REWahoo! said:
Martha, since we suspect he (?) is really a 13-year-old girl from Hoboken, hook Greg up with pen-pal JG. :D

REW

Hey, I'm 17 and it's Newark, you dolt! :)

JG

Well, son, have I got a stock for you. The stock is a Canadian lead miner that owns one mine in Australia. They have finished investing money in the mine and it is now running. They have long term contracts for some of the lead. No money has fallen to the bottom line yet. Much of the risk is gone if you're worried about unacceptable or unforseen start up expenses. The rewards are the mine is near SE Asia, close to China. They make lots of cars there, the cars need batteries, the batteries need lead; companies will pay lots of money for lead, currently about 45 cents/lb. Cost is about 20-25 cents/lb to dig and refine. Oh, boy.

The risk is, will the world economy slow down, the car market tank, and everything go to heck? I just sold the stock! But I still love the company. This, I believe, is a wonderful play if things don't go bad, if we continue to walk the razor's edge of controlled inflation and no recession: IVW.TO Ivernia Mines Jim Rogers likes this stock. Do your own DD, of course. They have nice pictures on their website--no kangaroos w/hats though.

Dad

th said:
Hmmm...20-25c to dig and refine...how much to transport it? Isnt lead heavy?

I think it costs about the same to haul a tonne of lead as it does to haul a tonne of gold or marshmellows. Maybe a little less because I'm using the metric system.

Greg, the lead balloon guy

Pun taken anyway! :p

I believe it takes several trucks to haul a ton of marshmallows..........

Have Funds said:
Pun taken anyway! :p

I believe it takes several trucks to haul a ton of marshmallows..........

I'm actually talking about magical mystery metric marshmallows from Australia. I believe they are much smaller there. I still think you could haul them with one truck though. When loaded they would just have to be piled no higher than telephone wires, but they could bulge out from the sides of the truck. This could provide shade to passing cars, a welcome benefit in the outback. If you hit a kangaroo with a hat on, you might create one sweet, inedible mess though.

OK, the wife gave me chores today. I hope everyone has a good day, even you folks who don't think it's different this time :).

the DH, whatever that means

The H stands for husband. The D's meaning varies.

I think the chinese have been secretly stockpiling lead. Their plan in the 50's was to sneak chinese manufactured lead-based paint into US hardware stores. Lately they've quietly reproduced to four billion are will be taking over the "Work at home making lead fishing weights!" industry, cutting their working rates from 50c an hour to 10c an hour.

Now they've set up this enticing shell company thats going to lure (heh) american investors into this lead battery situation and then snap...take all our money.

We should be afraid. Very afraid.

th said:
The H stands for husband. The D's meaning varies.

I think the chinese have been secretly stockpiling lead. Their plan in the 50's was to sneak chinese manufactured lead-based paint into US hardware stores. Lately they've quietly reproduced to four billion are will be taking over the "Work at home making lead fishing weights!" industry, cutting their working rates from 50c an hour to 10c an hour.

Now they've set up this enticing shell company thats going to lure (heh) american investors into this lead battery situation and then snap...take all our money.

We should be afraid. Very afraid.

They already have most of our money. Now they want all our promisory notes, at least the ones the Japanese don't own. Thank God, we have the best printing presses in the world that printed money can buy--or would we be in trouble.

Greg

Congratulations REW. I hope you have a great retirement! I hope to be there in 2008.

Dreamer

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
Thank God, we have the best printing presses in the world that printed money can buy. Greg
Are they made in Japan or China?

Sounds like something that would be made in germany.

Which means you'd have to drop the exhaust system and the drive shaft to add ink to it. And doing that would require 3 tools you dont have and involve 5 fastening systems you've never seen before. All of which require adjustments quarterly. All of which could be fastened with something standard that can be installed once with a flathead screwdriver and never touched again, but those wouldnt be any fun to use.

Re: More Polymedica

brewer12345 said:
My limited experience with tender offers is that the stock usually does very well after the tender is complete.
Looks like the Polymedica wild ride continues:

"PolyMedica Corporation (NASDAQ/NM: PLMD) announced today that it is increasing the purchase price of its previously announced tender offer to repurchase up to $150 million of its common stock. The new purchase price will not be less than $34.75 per share nor more than $37.50 per share. Previously, the price range of the tender offer was from $30.75 to $34.50 per share. The Company is extending the expiration date of the tender offer from 12:00 midnight, Eastern time, on June 23, 2005 to 12:00 midnight, Eastern time, on July 8, 2005."

Back
Top Bottom