Join Early Retirement Today

Odd ss payment
Old 10-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Odd ss payment

I'm conservator for my disabled brother.

He usually receives his monthly SSDI check mid-month; direct deposit.

Yesterday (5th of the month), he received what seems to be an additional payment in the form of 20% of his regular benefit.

While not too eager to question extra money on his behalf, I'm curious if anyone here might have a clue. The entry had the same verbiage as his regular check but the whole things sound a bit strange.

I checked the SS website and he's supposed to receive another regular payment mid-month but found no other information.

Any insight appreciated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm conservator for my disabled brother.

He usually receives his monthly SSDI check mid-month; direct deposit.

Yesterday (5th of the month), he received what seems to be an additional payment in the form of 20% of his regular benefit.

While not too eager to question extra money on his behalf, I'm curious if anyone here might have a clue. The entry had the same verbiage as his regular check but the whole things sound a bit strange.

I checked the SS website and he's supposed to receive another regular payment mid-month but found no other information.

Any insight appreciated.
Depending on your state, it could be a state stimulus payment. California's Golden State stimulus payment is around $600 and was sent to disabled adults on SSDI as well (apparently).

While you don't want to "probe" you do want to make sure this wasn't a mistake that can cost you in terms of a lot of time and / or money in cleaning up later. Happened to a senior I know whose double checks for several months ended up not being the result of government munificence but due to a technology glitch / clerical error that was later caught. When the error was finally noticed, the govt accused the senior of dishonestly pocketing checks she wasn't entitled to and her daughter had to spend a lot of time "rectifying" even though it was not the family's fault. This was a while ago but you do want to check just to make sure that they don't later blame your brother for any potential mistake on their part
Safire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
if the money was direct deposited to the account. I'd guess it's legitimate.

If the gov't made a mistake, they will simply pull back out the money. They cannot blame a recipient for a direct deposit as the sender is the one making the mistake.

I'd just keep a float in the account to be able to absorb any pull back, so as to not incur bank fees for falling below minimum amount in account.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
if the money was direct deposited to the account. I'd guess it's legitimate.

If the gov't made a mistake, they will simply pull back out the money. They cannot blame a recipient for a direct deposit as the sender is the one making the mistake.

I'd just keep a float in the account to be able to absorb any pull back, so as to not incur bank fees for falling below minimum amount in account.
They shouldn't blame the recipient for any mistakes on their part, but they sure did. Took her daughter a large chunk of time cleaning it up and making the government "good" because Mom had already spent the money, thinking it was hers to spend.

Also, good heads-up about the direct deposit. The senior was receiving paper checks while OP's brother is receiving direct deposit. OP should still call and check to figure out what this extra money is for, just to make sure this isn't a mistake or - worse - a scam.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't bother calling since it was direct deposit.
Whoever, a person gets on the phone, will be pretty far removed from the decision to deposit and doesn't actually control it anyhow. Worse is they could screw it up and submit a request to pull the money that is legitimate.

We just had a bank deposit our money into someone else's account. The bank admitted their error and corrected it. The recipient did nothing.
They will just see a deposit, and then a pull back out of the money, and get a letter from the bank explaining their error.

Where it causes a big problem is when people get a large sum and then spend the money. It's an issue as they can't pay it back.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I wouldn't bother calling since it was direct deposit.
Whoever, a person gets on the phone, will be pretty far removed from the decision to deposit and doesn't actually control it anyhow. Worse is they could screw it up and submit a request to pull the money that is legitimate.

We just had a bank deposit our money into someone else's account. The bank admitted their error and corrected it. The recipient did nothing.
They will just see a deposit, and then a pull back out of the money, and get a letter from the bank explaining their error.

Where it causes a big problem is when people get a large sum and then spend the money. It's an issue as they can't pay it back.
Check this out:

https://www.insider.com/ex-911-dispa...million-2021-4
Old 10-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
I had something similar happen, though not to the tune of $1M. TRPrice made a $2000 deposit into DW's IRA. I just happened to review the deposit memo, which I don't always do, and saw that it wasn't just a normal Dividends deposit. I called TRP and let them know and they quickly fixed their mistake.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
It's hard for me to fathom why someone would use a large sum like this, that isn't theirs, to make a large purchase. Aside from the ethical concern of it being wrong, is it a case of an undeveloped mind that has trouble thinking beyond the short term, or did she really think she could get away with it?

If I am given too much change in a store, I point it out, and return the difference. I can't get my head around why someone would spend large amounts that don't belong to them.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #9

Did your brother have any earned income in 2020 typically the social security administration would apply any adjustments to his earnings record and adjust his social security payments in October

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
It's hard for me to fathom why someone would use a large sum like this, that isn't theirs, to make a large purchase. Aside from the ethical concern of it being wrong, is it a case of an undeveloped mind that has trouble thinking beyond the short term, or did she really think she could get away with it?

If I am given too much change in a store, I point it out, and return the difference. I can't get my head around why someone would spend large amounts that don't belong to them.

Just saying that some people think different...

As an example, when my mom was teaching kindergarten and they caught a young boy stealing... they called the mom in to explain to her what he did... SOOO, what did mom say to the thieving boy? Not why did you do it but WHY DID YOU GET CAUGHT!!!

As one comedian says.... you cannot help stupid...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Did your brother have any earned income in 2020 typically the social security administration would apply any adjustments to his earnings record and adjust his social security payments in October
+1

DW started SS February 2020. In October she received an additional payment, retroactive to February, for 2019 earned income, since it was not in their system in February. This included the adjustment for the October payment. Her regular payment went up starting in November.

This year she received a retroactive adjustment in March for 2020 W-2 earned income. We expected there will be an additional retroactive adjustment this month for her 2020 1099 earned income.

Edited to add: she did get a letter explaining this, about a month after the deposits.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
That's possible. The new payment is only $400 so even if he spends it and they want it back later its no big deal. (Unlike a million!)
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's possible. The new payment is only $400 so even if he spends it and they want it back later its no big deal. (Unlike a million!)
True, and as long as it doesn't repeat, it would be hard for the gummint to claim some kind of fraud though they may eventually come looking for it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
+1

DW started SS February 2020. In October she received an additional payment, retroactive to February, for 2019 earned income, since it was not in their system in February. This included the adjustment for the October payment. Her regular payment went up starting in November.

This year she received a retroactive adjustment in March for 2020 W-2 earned income. We expected there will be an additional retroactive adjustment this month for her 2020 1099 earned income.

Edited to add: she did get a letter explaining this, about a month after the deposits.
Well, that could be it as well. I'll be on the lookout for a letter. Leave it to the gov't to send an explanation after the fact tho!
Old 10-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Well, that could be it as well. I'll be on the lookout for a letter. Leave it to the gov't to send an explanation after the fact tho!
In fairness, I think most folks would take the money first. Though at the same time would be best.

Many are not as concerned as you (rightfully) are to make sure the money is legit.

And I don't count the earlier post about the Million dollars as being at all the same as your case. She moved the money and closed the account. Clearly she knew it was an error.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
In fairness, I think most folks would take the money first. Though at the same time would be best.

Many are not as concerned as you (rightfully) are to make sure the money is legit.

And I don't count the earlier post about the Million dollars as being at all the same as your case. She moved the money and closed the account. Clearly she knew it was an error.
Thanks. I'm not really concerned about SS overpaying him by $400 but I was quite curious on the 'why'. If I do get a letter of explanation I'll report back!
Old 10-06-2021, 10:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Stupid person thinking they could get away with the 1.2 Million.

I had a similar situation , and extra $65,000 was deposited into my 401K.
I did nothing about it, other than to informally talk to an SEC agent, who wanted me to follow up, but I didn't.

I just left it there, and sure enough a few months later, it disappeared .....

Nobody ever sent me a letter, or told me what happened.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:

Not surprising...

As expected, today we received an extra SS payment for DW, 2 weeks before her regular SS is due. I''m sure this is the adjustment for her 2020 1099 income, we'll see what the followup letter says.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:31 AM   #19

Make sure it's SS. Not all checks from the US Treasury are SS... could be IRS, for instance. The SS web site probably has all payments and reasons, but that's a guess on my part.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Make sure it's SS. Not all checks from the US Treasury are SS... could be IRS, for instance. The SS web site probably has all payments and reasons, but that's a guess on my part.
No, it's definitely from SS. The bank entry of 'from' is identical to his regular monthly payment. Including my name as 'Representative Payee'.

I did check the SS site but found no explanation there.