OK, all you number crunchers, sharpen your calculators !

Hmmm, we are only at 6.2% but we have not yet taken SS, so we spent 5.2%, so we were looking at a gain of 11.4%. Also took a serious hit on company ESOP which luckily is only a small percentage. I'm $250k above where I thought I would be on my til death spreadsheet. Wonder if I can get DH to spend it:confused:

up 13% not including home value which they say is increasing rather rapidly. This is net worth so of course it includes the effect of spending. My spending was just slightly above predicted for the year, and excluding the pension income was a WR of 3.5% of initial NW. This was my first full year of retirement (2016 was "only" 11 months of ER).

Very grateful for such good financial times. Although i was working, I was a steady DCA investor during all the downturns since early 1990's (missed the 1987 event as I was not into investing as i should have been then, a late bloomer, which I do regret). Not terribly sophisticated, just steady. Hopefully i will also not get too upset when the good times stop rolling, as they inevitably will someday.

Last edited:
13.5% after spending, not including the house. I think that would add another 2 or 3 percent based on general figures tossed around but we have no plans to sell.

Edit: The numbers in this thread make more sense to me than the numbers tossed around in the YTD performance thread (How are you Doing So Far or something) that has been running for months. Everybody was reporting 20%+ there.

Last edited:
On a percentage basis how much did your net worth increase or decrease by in 2017 ? Yours truly got a 10.7% bump in the right direction. What say you ?

10.4% if I compute net worth as my investments and bank accounts.

15.3% if I compute net worth as the above plus the value of my house, which is increasing rapidly. I never plan to sell so I am inclined to say this number is pie in the sky.

Up about 14%. Cash and bonds were a big drag. OTOH, despite my spending, I still ended up with more than I started after adjusting for inflation.

Interestingly, I have a very small amount in a Schwab Intelligent Portfolio (SIP for short). It was up very close to the bulk of my stuff - 13.75%. I think I am going to change my answers to their questions, and see how a more aggressive posture works out in 2018.

Only 9.7% (excluding house) but living only off after tax monies with a fairly conservative AA. Not taking SS yet.

Since NW includes darn-near everything that I own, including house, cars, stamp collection etc., I have no idea if it went up or down, though VG says my stash with them (50/50) grew 10.2% after RMD distribution.

Thanks thumbs! Had figured it would go down because we had no income streams for the year.

Does not include any increase in home value.

12.9% increase in our NW, excluding home value. We are totally happy with that.

Not counting home values (neither market value nor mortgage balance) or any personal property, we are +14.3%. I had some income. About 1/2 of that income was offset by the purchase of a new-to-us vehicle.

2017 was a good year for most everyone here. Let's hope for a repeat.

NW is up 13.4% for the year. This is for the portfolio only, which seems to make sense because our withdrawal rate is around 2% and the portfolio performance was up 15.3%. If I include estimated beginning and ending values for the main house and rental properties, it drops to about 12.5% since they didn't grow as much as the portfolio. Both calculations exclude the value of personal assets and NPV of two pensions. SS is still about 10 years off for us.

17.6% on investment accounts, after spending.

If I include RE values in net worth, I think the percentage number will go down because RE does not appreciate as much as my stocks. The total dollar value would go up, of course, but I do not care how much my homes are really worth until I want to sell.

Up only 7.6 percent.

This includes everything, but according to Zillow my houses barely broke even - which I find hard to believe.

I sure will be glad when these college expenses are gone. They can take a toll on your net worth!

Starting my 13th year of retirement very conservative 46/20/34 AA finished 2017 + 9.2%.

Investable assets (not house, cars & possessions) up 14.0% in 2017. :dance:

We are 2.5 years into ER and our only outside income is $5500 annual pension, while spending was $47k slightly under $48k planned. Last week I moved about 2.5 yrs expenses into cash - we were down to only 6 months liquid cash - so whatever happens in 2018 will be tempered.

NW up about 10% but while still working, this was a bad year on the expense side. Large medical expenses and bought a car in anticipation of retirement. I take the cash paid in consideration of NW, but I don't add back in the value of the car. To me, for retirement purposes, I'm looking at cash and investments, not house and property.

Up about 8.7% after the purchase in cash of a new car. Happy with that. We have not taken any money out of our IRA yet. Did do a Roth rollover but kept it at the 15% tax bracket.

We have been living on after tax funds for the last 3 years and intend to do this until DH turns 62 and re-evaluate at that time if he will start SS then or wait till 65 1/2 years.

Totally happy with this years returns.

Excluding home value, up 11.0%. That was after the cash purchase of two new vehicles in December for $81k. Over 14% if I add that cash back in. That approach adheres to GAAP, right?

About 17.6% for all cash, investment and retirement investment accounts, net of cash flow for the year. For those accounts we are about 75/25 equities versus bonds/cash. For the equities, we are about 62/38 US/ex-US.

This is predominantly a slice and dice index fund portfolio (we hold a few legacy actively managed funds).

We are in fourth year of retirement, so far living on pension and about 2.5% withdrawal.

Not included are real estate or any NPV for pension. Including estimates for those those knocks us back to about 10.75 %. Still not a bad year at all.

19.2% excluding home, post tax assets.

Obviously heavy on equities but 2017 was an exceptional year. :)

_B

Back
Top Bottom