OK, all you number crunchers, sharpen your calculators !

I've been getting richer ever since I retired. I wasn't really planning on that. Going on 4 years now and net worth continues to rise.

Gotta blow more dough!

Don't do net worth anymore. If you bought an annuity 25 years ago, what is it worth today?

If you bought an apartment building 25 years ago what is it worth today?

+16.82% increase in NW, including house and old tennies. Yay.

Last edited:
We are up 16.55% after taxes. We were almost 100% in equities and grossed close to the S&P 500.

This year had a lot of extra expenses, 30% of our gains on home improvements and hearth care for family members. I have no way to quantify home improvements raising net worth, so I consider it as spent for only personal enjoyment in returns. The good news is i'm done with all my major spending.

There was another thread about 2017 returns. I think (too lazy to go look up my answer) it was about 14.4%. But that was IRR so it adjusted for money withdrawn.

But networth includes home value, 529's and other things I don't consider in the "nest egg" investment portfolio. If I do simple math of the difference of total networth 12/31/16 and 12/31/17, then divide by 12/31/16 networth... I get 14.46%. Not bad considering we pulled money out to live on. The increase was in large part because San Diego real estate is out of control bubbly. And that was using conservative numbers for the real estate - but based on two recent sales on my block.

I expect market corrections in both real estate and the market sometime in the next few years... this is unsustainable. But I'm liking it for now.

Last edited:
We were up 14.7% not including real estate (one home). We're going to pull the trigger and retire this year. I think I finally have my wife convinced!

At least 19.8 percent. We have a couple of properties for which current valuations are not readily available, so the gain is probably a little bit higher.

Just as significantly, our income from investments was up 5.9% to hit an all time high.

thread prompted me to calculate - excluding 529s and home - investable assets went up 42.9%
Holy mackinaw! Breaking it down about 33% inheritance, 25% tax deferred retirement contributions, the rest appreciation.:dance:

Still w*rking, so contributing and not withdrawing.

Net worth, excluding home: +29%
Investment accounts (excludes current lump sum pension amount, which got a big kicker this year on my 55th birthday): +24%
Investment accounts excluding contributions: +18.6%

I'm a happy camper!

I also track peak NW. I just like to keep those records.

I also track NW against CPI-U thus tracking real NW. it makes quite a difference over a few years.

2017 CPI increase through Nov was 2.71%. December numbers should be released mid month.
Oops - a little transposition problem.

2017 CPI increase through Nov was 2.17%

Back
Top Bottom