Orange Juice Concentrate & Dryer Sheets

A random sampling of my posts back to day one shows that comment with all of them. I guarantee I've never seen it before. Nor is it in my profile anywhere that I can find. So if it's some byproduct of an ancient inside joke here, I still have no idea what it represents.

I will say that I thought your first post (the one that was nominated for post-of-the-day) was totally tongue-in-cheek. From the stickied FAQ: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/whats-the-deal-with-the-dryer-sheets-44456.html

Yes, I found that too. But there is no explanation of why this is such a rib-tickler that the functionality of the forum software was apparently modified with it! The last discussion of it that I could find was from back in 2010 where the mods of the day beat up a user for daring to even ask the question. Given how civil and easy going these forums are, that seems really out of character. But it was over 10 years ago.

There was also a post in the FAQ section
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/new-w-stupid-question-18454.html#post339248
which references this thread that I am not able to see:
http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=620.0

Above your avatar it says "Full time employment: Posting here." so obviously this field can be changed. How did you do it? I tried putting that in the "Occupation" field in the profile but it didn't help.

I'm not trying to cause trouble but this is bafffling.

Above your avatar it says "Full time employment: Posting here." so obviously this field can be changed. How did you do it? I tried putting that in the "Occupation" field in the profile but it didn't help.

I had not noticed that my status changed, and I am embarrassed to see it! We don't control the status above the avatar. I gather it (along with the number of stars) is a reflection of the frequency and/or total number of posts over time. There is a progression from newbie to constant poster.

Think of it this way: The people running this forum did not WRITE the forum software. This forum is one of a family of some 40+ different forums under the aegis of RVlife. Most of the forums have to do with boats or RVs or camping. So, clearly, they all use the same software, and there are tweaks that must be used to customize the forum software to the particular forum under question. So, some dozen+ years ago, the then-moderators wrote witty (?) expressions of the "progress" of the individual as he or she posts more and more. They started from dryer sheets ("Confused about dryer sheets"), and progressed from there. [I gather that the apotheosis is "Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ..."]

I have never bought orange juice (gross) and I never use dryer sheets....and I haven't used/bought shampoo in over five years

A good one that my GF taught me...she waters down dish detergent about to about 40 - 1. Then if you're washing a single pot for example, you just pour out a couple ounces into it and quickly scrub it with a brush, rinse, and you're done. For a sink full of dishes we just use regular strength dish soap.

It’s automatic once you have enough posts.

It baffled me once too. Mainly because “Full time employment” appeared on one line and I didn’t catch the “posting here” qualifier.

But I’ve long since been upgraded to “Give me a museum.....”

Last edited:
Count me as another who likes concentrate OJ better when cut with a little more water. On the rare occasion I get chocolate milk at the store, I like it better cut with some white milk as well.

I had not noticed that my status changed, and I am embarrassed to see it!

That was exactly my response yesterday when I saw "dryer sheets" above my picture. I had not noticed it before. Maybe I just crossed the threshold where that is the cutesy message that is automatically displayed.

So, some dozen+ years ago, the then-moderators wrote witty (?) expressions

Wait a minute. Are you saying that "Working full time, posting here" is supposed to be witty? I am still "working full time" and I "post here" a little. That's what I thought it meant. But those mods of years back, intended for it to mean "I'm retired but I have a new full time job of posting on this forum, ha ha ha"? Geez, that went completely over my head.

Think of it this way: The people running this forum did not WRITE the forum software.

I know. I've used this forum software on many sites. And on most, the phrase above the avatar can be set by the user. This is the only one that's apparently been preset in this way (by mods who as far as I can tell, are gone now) to reference an obscure inside joke from many many years ago (that wasn't all that funny to begin with).

I guess that's the end of the exploration here.

Last edited:
Recycles dryer sheets is simply an affirmation of thrift, which is a value shared by most ER Forum community members. A trait most new members would be expected to embrace.

Last edited:
I seem to recall at least a few decades ago (I believe it was the late 80s and early 90s) there was a scandal that some OJ brands were being chemically adulterated with preservatives that were not approved as safe.

You just never know what you are eating if it is not in it's natural state. Even then there are potential shenanigans.

Cheers!

Recycles dryer sheets is simply an affirmation of thrift, which is a value shared by most ER Forum community members. A trait most new members would be expected to embrace.

You aren't kidding! :cool: Never in a million years did I think I would cause such OUTRAGE with my OP. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall at least a few decades ago (I believe it was the late 80s and early 90s) there was a scandal that some OJ brands were being chemically adulterated with preservatives that were not approved as safe.

You just never know what you are eating if it is not in it's natural state. Even then there are potential shenanigans.

Cheers!

Well, to be fair...unless you grow your own food (and raise/slaughter meat if you are a meat lover) then odds are that your food is modified in some way, shape, or form. It's pretty simple...if society farmed as they did 200 years ago, a LOT of people would starve because it would pretty tough to put food on the table for 330MM+ people.

And on most, the phrase above the avatar can be set by the user.

On other forums I've used, the titles can be set, but by the Mods, not the user. I often wish for that power but MichaelB won't let me...

Yeah, that was a long time ago. This site used to be home to lots of LBYM folks and penny-pinching retirees. I think I introduced myself as on a "shoestring retirement." Back then there were still a few kindred souls hanging around in the shadows who greeted me.

Those days are gone. It's all about "blow that dough" and high finance now. I still hang around because I still learn a lot. But part of me misses the old cadre.

Yep. A lot different 27 years ago starting ER - aka Dory36 el al. Fear and cheap went hand in hand starting out. Time in the market and just time has mellowed me.

Heh heh heh - also frequented more that one calculator and forum/s. :D ;)

On other forums I've used, the titles can be set, but by the Mods, not the user. I often wish for that power but MichaelB won't let me...

There's probably a good reason we're not allowed to play with fissionable materials....

And I bet you don't "Rinse, lather, and repeat" either! :D

(Talk about self-serving, overconsuming directions.)

There is an apocryphal story of a statue at Johnson & Johnson Corporate Headquarters to the unknown author of "Lather, Rinse, Repeat." YMMV

There is an apocryphal story of a statue at Johnson & Johnson Corporate Headquarters to the unknown author of "Lather, Rinse, Repeat." YMMV

I have to say, as a woman with long hair, particularly if my hair is extra dirty from working out, or I went 2 days... I do find a lather-rinse-repeat works best!

Of course, I use just a small amount, but doing a dime-sized first wash (where i get virtually no lather because there's no excess), followed by a rinse and a 2nd small wash (which is much more bubbly), is a really good way to get my hair feeling super clean. Far better than a single quarter-sized wash.

I dilute almost all drinks including occasional soft drink. I go about 50 50/ DH likes it more 60 40 a little stronger

Back
Top Bottom