Orange Juice Concentrate & Dryer Sheets

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
There is a mantra here about "recycling dryers sheets" in relation to how frugal one is. As we were preparing breakfast this AM, DW and I mentioned how strong our OJ was last weekend (we tend to make it from the concentrate containers). The directions provide for a 3:1 water/concentrate ratio.

In an experiment this morning, I made it as a 4:1 ratio but didn't mention this to the DW. After a couple drinks, she made the comment about "how much better it tastes" which made me wonder if we are being duped w/ the 3:1 ratio instructions. Many of here have noted how food packaging has remained the same size, but the content amount has been reduced (or small diameter of toilet paper), so I am curious if the OJ is another example of this.

In the grand scheme of things I know this isn't too important, but hey... it's not on the subject of Tesla or Gamestop, so....happy Sunday! :D

You're probably on to something. I've notice that fresh squeezed OJ tastes thinner, and less sugary than from concentrate.

I have always added an extra can of water when making concentrate, trying to extend the amount of juice we had when kids were younger--LBYM, LOL.
Always tasted sweet enough and same fruit flavor, orange/grape/etc.

Speaking of dryer sheets, have heard but not tried, but used dryer sheets are effective to remove walnut dust from brass tumblers. Just saying.

I use half the laundry soap they say to. Works fine. Most things can be watered down or reduced and work fine. I know a woman who adds 20% water to just about everything. She even adds it to shampoo. I only use one or two drops so I don't bother.

Last edited:
I love fresh orange juice but it’s a little strong so I dilute it with some vodka.

I love fresh orange juice but it’s a little strong so I dilute it with some vodka.
I agree, but I use champagne for dilution.

I use half the laundry soap they say to. Works fine. Most things can be watered down or reduced and work fine. I know a woman who adds 20% water to just about everything.

I recall reading that laundry loads can clean fine with half the recommended amount of soap or less, so I follow that dictum. In fact, our water is so hard that laundry comes out with visible soap residue if I don't scale it back.

On another note, ads for toothpaste always show a gob along the entire length of the brush surface. I always use just a dab; DM had a shaker of salt and soda that she swore by, but I enjoy the minty taste.

I've always felt usage recommendations were too high (on purpose):

- use about 1/3 recommended laundry soap
- always add extra water to concentrates
- use very small blob of toothpaste
- add regular rice to flavoured rice packages to make 3-4 times as much( also reduces salt)
- use just enough shampoo that is enough to lather and get my hair clean

There are probably others I can't think of right now...

And I bet you don't "Rinse, lather, and repeat" either! :D

(Talk about self-serving, overconsuming directions.)

Funny you mention that...I remember trying to decide what shampoo to buy a long time ago and one had those instructions and the other one didn't so I bought the one that didn't tell me to wash twice because I assumed it was a more effective product than the one that didn't work the first time :LOL:

I make/use a lot of things half/reduced strength. I could give lots of examples but just one, when I mix up Gatorade from powder it’s half strength or less - which tastes perfect to me. When I’m given a premade full strength Gatorade it tastes way too sweet/strong - I don’t like it!

And I bet you don't "Rinse, lather, and repeat" either! :D

(Talk about self-serving, over consuming directions.)

As I have said before. that guy got a huge bonus when he came up with that line.

I nominate this for post of the day:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 6.35.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 6.35.21 PM.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 77
Back when I was a kid and it was my job to 'make' the OJ, I definitely was on to this. It has been many years since we have had OJ from concentrate though. One reason is that we drink so much less of it as it is likely not that good for us and the second is that we find the extra pulp not from concentrate so much better tasting. Only on sale though and it lasts quite awhile.

Orange Juice Concentrate & Dryer Sheets

I routinely reduce the sugar content of my chocolate chips cookies by 30%. Nobody notices. They still beat the store bought ones by a mule.

Diluting OJ may be OK. Just don’t keep doing it if your wife comes down with scurvy.

I routinely reduce the sugar content of my chocolate chips cookies by 30%. Nobody notices. They still beat the store bought ones by a mule.
DW has been doing this in baked goods for quite some time. It's kind of like the 'how low can you go' thread. She keeps telling me she decreased the sugar amount again, I keep saying 'tastes great to me'. Whatever fruit is in the pie always seems to be sweet enough to me. In fact, a month ago she made a cherry pie with regular as opposed to sour cherries and it was too sweet for me.

Aha! the pods are a conspiracy to disallow reduced laundry soap usage.

I won't buy pods because they don't allow me to decide how much detergent to use. Of course, one day they might be nothing but pods but I'll worry about it then.

I nominate this for post of the day

A random sampling of my posts back to day one shows that comment with all of them. I guarantee I've never seen it before. Nor is it in my profile anywhere that I can find. So if it's some byproduct of an ancient inside joke here, I still have no idea what it represents.

There is? I've been here several years and never seen it mentioned.

Yeah, that was a long time ago. This site used to be home to lots of LBYM folks and penny-pinching retirees. I think I introduced myself as on a "shoestring retirement." Back then there were still a few kindred souls hanging around in the shadows who greeted me.

Those days are gone. It's all about "blow that dough" and high finance now. I still hang around because I still learn a lot. But part of me misses the old cadre.

Back
Top Bottom