Join Early Retirement Today

Payoff Car Loan?
Old 05-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Payoff Car Loan?

I have $10,000 left on a 6 year car loan at 7%(2016 Elantra), and $50,000 in an Ally savings account. I have a job and $25000 a year in passive income coming in. Do you think I should payoff the car loan from my savings account? Thanks.
rembrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
I have $10,000 left on a 6 year car loan at 7%(2016 Elantra), and $50,000 in an Ally savings account. I have a job and $25000 a year in passive income coming in. Do you think I should payoff the car loan from my savings account? Thanks.
Yes
jesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
I have $10,000 left on a 6 year car loan at 7%
7%? Good grief! Yes, pay that off. Or refinance at a regional bank for 2.5% or less if you want.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At a 7% rate, then yes.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #5

it's normally a financial no brainer, but with limited financial details I'd first ask:

Is your job secure from covid-impacts?
If you pay it off and lose your job, do you have savings for 6 months expenses?

If yes to both - pay it off
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
7%? Good grief! Yes, pay that off. Or refinance at a regional bank for 2.5% or less if you want.

+1
Old 05-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #7

You took a 7% auto loan in 2016?! Was tequila involved?

Seriously, pay off that loan.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Would you mind sharing why you even have this loan? What's your thinking that you haven't paid it off long ago or pay cash for that car..

I feel you must have an unusual story that you are in this circumstance.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #9

I would pay off a 3% loan. Actually, we don't believe in paying interest period. The only loan we'd take is a 0% loan. The only way they can get you is if you don't pay on time.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Since you have passive income it's probably ok to use $10K of your savings to pay off that expensive loan. You'll be left with 40K to tide you over if the job goes away.

If the job is on thin ice, might make sense to wait a while. Otherwise, pay off.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
You essentially have 2 years of passive income in your bank account. It would seem like a no brainer to pay off the loan. HOWEVER, lacking any other info it is difficult to suggest that. For instance, what are your current expenses? What are your other debts? Age? Retirement plans? spouse? kids? One cannot make an informed decision without knowing the overall plan. Rhetorical questions as far as I am concerned. I have no interest in giving specific advice.

Historically, having that money in the market instead of the bank would seem to be a wash with paying off the loan. That has it's own risks too.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I would pay off a 3% loan. Actually, we don't believe in paying interest period. The only loan we'd take is a 0% loan. The only way they can get you is if you don't pay on time.
We prefer having the safety of cash in hand, if needed. The small amount of interest is like "insurance" to us. Everyone has their own opinion.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Pay it off and resolve to never again buy a car that you can't pay cash for. In addition to saving you interest expense this policy will probably push you into cars where you will not get killed with depreciation expense.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just paid it off. I feel alot better now. Thanks for the advice!
rembrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

^A lot of unsolicited and not necessarily true advice. ^. As others said, yes, 7% is high for a car loan, especially 6 years. I had intentional maxed car loans at .9 & 1.9% so while my HY account was paying 2.9%, made sense to keep them. When it went down to 1.9%, I paid off the loans, though the .9 only had $3k left on it. Financing never ever entered in to the equation on any aspect of the cars I decided on, EXCEPT in order to secure an additional credit, as both were offered with a $500 credit on the purchase if I financed through the auto makers credit. $500 credit, plus make 1% on the money for nothing? No brainer.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
... Financing never ever entered in to the equation on any aspect of the cars I decided on, EXCEPT in order to secure an additional credit, as both were offered with a $500 credit on the purchase if I financed through the auto makers credit. $500 credit, ... No brainer.
Yup. I have had exactly two car loans. One right out of graduate school when I was young and stupid. I really hated that thing. Then one maybe 40 years later where Mazda offered me $2500 to finance an RX-8 with them. As you say, no brainer. I took the loan, waited for the title paperwork to get through the state bureaucracy, a couple of months. then I paid it off.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just paid it off. I feel alot better now. Thanks for the advice!
Good going. Another ER Forum success.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #18

I see you paid it off. Congrats! I would also have said yes.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
.... As you say, no brainer. I took the loan, waited for the title paperwork to get through the state bureaucracy, a couple of months. then I paid it off.
I've done that a few times.... got a nice credit at closing for financing... make a couple months of payments and then paid it off.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I've done that a few times.... got a nice credit at closing for financing... make a couple months of payments and then paid it off.
One thing I was told by the delaer F&I guy was that it is best to wait until the title issues and is mailed to you. If the lender tries to release a lien on a title that is still working its way through the system, things can get screwed up. So like @pb4, I also made a couple of months' payments while waiting for the title. So that's a caution for anyone else who runs across this kind of opportunity.