Perhaps we should work longer?

Midpack, you seem to be stuck on the false idea that retirement means meaningless activities. I suppose if that's the only thing you witnessed in life, then you've had some unfortunate role models. I think many, many people on this board are totally engaged in healthy, meaningful leisure activities. Some of them are even devoted to a sporting activity (shock). What may end up being a boring passive recreative activity for one person, may end up being an incredibly challenging and stimulating activity for another. This is very much a personal thing.

Sometimes someone needs to quit work for a while to discover that there is indeed, life after work. That there is a whole universe of meaningful activities and purposes out there not defined by work, and that marching to someone else's drum is not required to find purpose in life.

And obviously, from my statement that you quoted above, I said that if someone enjoys working then they should continue to do so. Did my statement in any way indicate something was wrong with such a person? I don't think so. I know too many people who thrive in their careers. There is nothing wrong with that.

As for the "one should not retire early, but rather work or volunteer for some organization because that's the only way to truly contribute to society", you should see the huge thread that exploded on that theme!!!! Nothing wrong with choosing that path, it's just not the only meaningful one.

Audrey

Wow...

As for the "one should not retire early, but rather work or volunteer for some organization because that's the only way to truly contribute to society" Audrey
Let's just agree to disagree. I was simply suggesting that work is not a 'meaningless activity' for some people - that's it. Fascinating what you attribute to me as a quote when anyone can see for themselves that what I said was markedly different:

What I did post: "Just that for some of us, contributing to society through work, maybe part time or voluntarily, adds meaning to our lives overall. We'll definitely increase our leisure activities. That simple..."

Last edited:
FWIW I wasn't quoting you, Midpack. I was referring to the theme of a controversial thread from a few months ago. And I never claimed that work was a meaningless activity for everyone. Just as retirement and leisure time is not a meaningless activity for everyone.

Audrey

I'm sorry, but I'm at the point where work is getting in the way of me living the rest of my life. Five years ago I wouldn't have ever thought I could feel that way (former workaholic). Losing friends, family and loved ones has a way of changing one's perspective. Life is short and has way too much to offer - my bucket list is long and varied. Just need to tie up some financial loose ends - and then I'm on to the next chapter.

I have worked with several folks that tried to have their emotional needs met at work....ironically, that might be why so many here are so interested in FIRE ;)

Do you mean the ones who threw temper tantrums or the type who went around being haters or the ones who talked more than they contributed or the ones who were nice but incompetent?

Do you mean the ones who threw temper tantrums or the type who went around being haters or the ones who talked more than they contributed or the ones who were nice but incompetent?
My vote: those who have contributed significantly (the work horse) but never received the recognition or the reward for their contributions because they do not make themselves visible or promote their work.

Back
Top Bottom