Millions Unprepared For Retirement

Some states allow low-income seniors to defer taxes till the home is sold but then they recover the back taxes (plus interest?). I actually like this a lot more than straight forgiveness or reduction (e.g., Homestead Exemption exceptions) because the taxes are eventually paid. Not sure what happens if the equity in your home at sale is less than the back taxes owed.

+1

DW has a 100 year old uncle who is doing this. He has owned a property that in 40 years has grown to be worth over $1 million. With property taxes over $10K and SS his only income, he began deferring a few years ago (he is the victim of elder financial abuse that impacted his savings, very long story). Annual interest rate is 1%. Given his age it will not be an issue when he dies to pay them back out of the home equity (the house will be sold as no one in the family wants it).

I'm not sure that $22k/year and Living Large belong in the same sentence, but have it your way...

+1. As we often say in this forum "it depends on where you live". I spend about $22k just between my property taxes and utilities.

It may be doable, but what sort of a miserable retirement life would it be? It certainly would not be our idea of a decent retirement.

We have a fully paid of home and our annual expenses, just the basics with food, healthcare etc. Top $45k.

That does not include discretionary expenses, vacations etc.

Sure, not up to expectations for many of us but I wouldn’t go so far as to say not decent. My dear cousin travelled the world as a military spouse and mother. She feels she made a contribution to her country and is fairly comfortable at least for now. I don’t think anyone plans a minimalist retirement, they just fail to plan.

It may be doable, [$22K with paid-off home] but what sort of a miserable retirement life would it be? It certainly would not be our idea of a decent retirement.

We have a fully paid off home and our annual expenses, just the basics with food, healthcare etc. Top $45k.

That does not include discretionary expenses, vacations etc.

It depends first on the area- miserable in San Francisco, maybe minimalist in Iowa. And many people really are happy with being homebodies, using the public library and free entertainment, going for walks, etc. My dear parents left over $1 million behind and they lived in a small paid-off house till Mom died, mostly playing golf and card games with friends. They did make it to every grandchild's HS and college graduation wherever it was and took a cruise to Bermuda once (they lived in SC). I honestly believe they were happy. Dad went into Assisted Living and then LTC before he died 2 years ago.

And there are plenty of supplemental programs, which someone just listed in another thread for CT but exist in other states: property tax deferral or mitigation (mentioned above), SNAP, subsidized senior housing, low-cost Medicare/Medicaid combination plans... they don't add up to a lavish lifestyle but they're not meant to.

The issue I see with the paid-off house is that when you need a new roof or the HVAC system dies you have to scrape up the money somewhere. I think if I were living that close to the edge I'd rent instead even though you're then vulnerable to rent increases.

The other consideration, if that $22K is SS for a married couple, when one dies it becomes about $15,000 for the survivor. (This assumes they were collecting 150% of the primary earner's benefit for Primary plus Spouse and the Survivor Benefit is now 100%.) I know a few widows who didn't see that coming.

Last edited:
$22k for an individual ($44k for a couple) is not that minimalist in eastern Washington with a paid off home.

Lets see...

$2000/yr property tax
$3000/yr various car/home insurances
$5000/yr medical copays, dental (can likely get a $0 policy with $600/$1200 max oop
$6000/yr car fuel/tires/repairs
$12000/yr food
$5000/yr home maintenance

That is $33,000, leaving $11,000 a year left in the budget. You could at least take a fun road trip on that.

I believe $22k w paid off home and no income or property taxes seems quite manageable but not living large.

I have an 85 yr old cousin living in a sr apt on $17k. All of her income is from SS and she has a tiny inheritance nestegg. She also gets some help from family. Her rent is 90% of her income. I’m sure she qualifies for cheaper housing but due to demand vs supply and bureaucratic hoops I think it’s better for her to stay put. She is comfortable and has many opportunities to socialize.

Yep, I buried a close relative a few years ago who also had only taken-at-62-SS for income plus a modest inheritance of a couple hundred thousand bucks.

Still was able to stay in their home of ~35 years until just a few months before their death.

Mostly socialized locally with friends but managed to travel to see out-of-state grandkids at least once annually.

Total income was low enough that they paid only half of the assessed property tax on the home (current income limit ~$35k, must re-qualify every year)

They did also mortgage/HELOC it to the hilt, but in the end I was able to get roughly half the sales price of the home to their heirs.

Last edited:
Location really makes a difference in how far your money goes. I lived in Wichita Kansas which is really cheap and my money would go much further there than in Reno.

Reno’s rents have skyrocketed to the point that they aren’t affordable for many seniors. I knew when I got divorced that the only way I could afford to stay here was to buy a condo. In Wisconsin where I grew up the property taxes are huge which is a burden for some seniors.,

True! There are Millions of people who are not prepared for retirement. There also Millions of people who have more than they need. I'm in the middle group. There are probably Millions of us.

$22k for an individual ($44k for a couple) is not that minimalist in eastern Washington with a paid off home.

Lets see...

$2000/yr property tax
$3000/yr various car/home insurances
$5000/yr medical copays, dental (can likely get a $0 policy with $600/$1200 max oop
$6000/yr car fuel/tires/repairs
$12000/yr food
$5000/yr home maintenance

That is $33,000, leaving $11,000 a year left in the budget. You could at least take a fun road trip on that.

Okay so if you are not married you have the same expenses other than food which means you are kinda screwed. . . Also your category for property tax and medical is lower than what I pay. Also you left off HOA fees which in my neighborhood do not imply you live in a nice place. They imply the city requires it of all newer construction.

Last edited:
Okay so if you are not married you have the same expenses other than food which means you are kinda screwed. . . Also your category for property tax and medical is lower than what I pay.

I said eastern Washington...do you live in eastern Washington?

I imagine there are some bigger houses and some places where the property tax alone would eat up most of $22k

If you only have one car and are on Medicare your expenses are probably lower in those 2 areas if you are single. One of my biggest expenses is my two little Maltese. One has a heart condition, anal gland issues, sensitive stomach and allergies so medication and food for her is 200/month. Plus each need a dental every year that starts at 1k and goes up if they need teeth removed.

Besides my real kids they are one of my biggest joys in life so I would give up everything else before them. It’s no wonder some seniors sadly can’t afford to have pets.

My uncle made it, from 2015 to 2022, on disability (switched to regular SS at age 65 I think? At least I remember his payment going down), and an inheritance from Grandmom.

His last SS payment was around $1740. When Grandmom died, I think he got about $120,000. He was living in Grandmom's house, helping take care of her, and he stayed on after she died. So he didn't have a mortgage, but he had upkeep on the house, utilities, property taxes, insurance, etc. The house has oil heat, and it's the type that runs all year long, because it heats the water as well, so it can get expensive.

Among the financial highlights I remember, were him buying a new 2016 Chevy Colorado that was around $29,000. He traded a 2013 Camry on it. I don't know how much of a trade he got, though. In 2019, he bought a used 2006 Sienna minivan, because he wanted something that he could, in his words "drive the family around" if needed. What prompted this, was my great-aunt went into the hospital at the age of 96. He took his cousin (her daughter), and another relative, who was 94, to the hospital, and it was an extremely tight squeeze in that truck, so he wanted something that could seat more than a driver and one passenger with relative comfort.

I told him, "what family? Our family is dying off!" But, he wanted the thing, and bought it. And sure enough, my great aunt died like a few weeks later. The 94 year old cousin made it to 95, but died at the end of 2019. And the other cousin, who was in her 70's, moved to Florida soon after her Mom died.

Anyway, between the purchase price, and what he put into the minivan in repairs, it was probably around $10-12K.

By late 2022, he was getting to the point that he'd have to start getting into his IRA. But then, we sold the old family homestead across the street from Grandmom, of which he got half. I figured that would be enough to keep him flush for the rest of his life, and by the time he had to start doing RMDs on the IRA at 73, in 2025, that would just be icing on the cake.

So, in my uncle's case, I'd estimate he blew through $120K in about 7 1/2 years, plus his SS. So, for his lifestyle, I'd say around $3,000/mo, or $36K per year, as a VERY rough estimate. Considering there was a new truck, and a minivan he didn't need thrown into that mix, I think he did fairly well.

He pretty much kept to himself, although he'd go to various family functions, come over to see me, go down to Southern MD to see my Mom, etc. He tended to eat out a lot, too. Mostly fast food, but sometimes he'd splurge on Denny's or Bob Evans.

One of my biggest expenses is my two little Maltese. <snip>
Besides my real kids they are one of my biggest joys in life so I would give up everything else before them. It’s no wonder some seniors sadly can’t afford to have pets.

Yeah, pets can get expensive. My friend, who's 72 and still working FT but has cash flow issues, has two cats. One wasn't eating and was hiding a lot- not a good sign. Two nights in the vet hospital and a lot of IVs, plus a prescription for antibiotics and he's pretty much back to normal- they think it was an infection that got out of control and the cat's organs were shutting down. Losing that cat would have crushed my friend but now he's got another debt to pay off.

I have no plans to take on the responsibility of a pet.

Really? You don't know how he does it? $22K with a paid off house I would feel rich. I will spend less than half that this year and my property taxes will be $3500 so less than $8K in total spending other than the prop taxes. $22K? I would be living large.

$8K. Wow! I spent twice that this year just on chasing/repairing/cleaning up water leaks in our condo - and the year isn't over.:(

If the Darling one says lets get a pet. I will not say no.

Just be aware that more requests may follow. A friend's dog chewed up part of a rug and lots of yarn wound through her intestines. Friend started a GoFundMe to raise $6,000 for Dear Doggie's surgery, which apparently required long, painstaking work extracting all the yarn from Doggie's innards, but Doggie survived That was one GoFundMe I ignored.

Just be aware that more requests may follow. A friend's dog chewed up part of a rug and lots of yarn wound through her intestines. Friend started a GoFundMe to raise $6,000 for Dear Doggie's surgery, which apparently required long, painstaking work extracting all the yarn from Doggie's innards, but Doggie survived That was one GoFundMe I ignored.

Big Sis' horse, er, I mean Irish Setter ate a pair of pantyhose. We started calling him The Six Million Dollar Dog. Pet's can be a real issue to a fixed income/low income household. DW and I miss our pets, but it's been liberating not to have pets now for 15 years. As Forest Gump said "One less thing."

Back
Top Bottom