Poll: Do you use Quicken (or commercial equiv) to track spending/budget?

How Do You Track Your Personal Spending/Budget

• Quicken (or another commercial software package)

Votes: 85 60.7%
  • My own spreadsheet or other home-grown solution

Votes: 37 26.4%
  • Other, not worried about it, my balances are all positive...

Votes: 18 12.9%

• Total voters
I started using Quicken 1n 1992 and periodically updated until Quicken 2004 when I decided to get off the merry go round of updates. I really like the 2004 version as it allows to do all the tracking and drill down on reports that I could want. Of course, it no longer supports downloads but I find that entering everything manually really doesn't take that long and it allows me to zero in on anything that looks unusual. When it was doing automatic updates my tendency was to look over entries and say to myself "looks about right" without really being sure. With manual entry I pay attention!. I suppose Excel would work just as well but after so many years of using Quicken I think I'll stick to it. I do wonder if it has an upper limit as to file size currently at about 100 MB

Quicken file size

I do wonder if it has an upper limit as to file size currently at about 100 MB

Programmers always have a nice round number for a limit.

I don't want to find out by crashing, so I do Year-end-operation to keep the size down and store the files by Year. I seldom use info from more then 2 or 3 years ago, since I use spreadsheet as my budget guide.

Programmers always have a nice round number for a limit.

I don't want to find out by crashing, so I do Year-end-operation to keep the size down and store the files by Year. I seldom use info from more then 2 or 3 years ago, since I use spreadsheet as my budget guide.

I hope 100 MB is not the number. I've considered doing the year end closing but I do like the ability to do multi year reports for trend and comparison purposes.

We've been using Quicken forever but it seems to be getting buggier. It's hard to rely on software for financial planning when it doesn't display accurate information.

We're currently looking at a combination of Mint.com and Excel to move our finances out of Quicken.

Cheri

We've been using Quicken forever but it seems to be getting buggier. It's hard to rely on software for financial planning when it doesn't display accurate information.

Cheri

That's a lot of the reason I've kept using Quicken 2004 and decided not to "upgrade". I haven't really encountered any bugs in what I do with i and does what I need it to do.

I guess it all boils down to what you need. If you're trying to track spending and investments, it seems like Quicken, spreadsheets, etc. seem to do the trick for most people here.

If you need a tool that will help you to constrain spending, it seems that something like You Need A Budget (the name seems to imply its purpose) is more likely to be a more effective tool.

What's awesome is that there is something for everyone!!

Does anyone use Quicken Deluxe 2011? I use the '09 version and the auto updates are ending this month. I've read the reviews on 2012 and they weren't good.

Quicken 2011

Does anyone use Quicken Deluxe 2011? I use the '09 version and the auto updates are ending this month. I've read the reviews on 2012 and they weren't good.
We use 2012, because there isn't that much difference between the two and I don't like some of the changes in 2011 version. So if you are going to upgrade make the leap IMHO.

We're using Quicken 2010 and only upgraded from 1999 when we bought a new computer. Each new version never seemed to have a compelling reason to upgrade for us.

Back
Top Bottom