Poll: Fuel cost for ground transportation as % of annual spend

What % of annual spend goes towards fuel for ground transportation?

• <2.5%

Votes: 86 72.9%
  • 2.5% to <5%

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • 5% to <7.5%

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • 7.5% +

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Mine is close to 4%. I have a long commute. I live in Hawaii where fuel costs are high as well. The percentage was higher precovid. I work from home quite a bit now.

One of the things I love about Big Island is the ability to drive long distances. Often, the roads are relatively free of traffic. I suppose living there, it's more of a curse than a blessing - especially at $5++ per gallon. Strictly out of curiosity, how long a commute to you have?

Folks on Oahu have relatively short commutes (Ewa to Downtown is maybe 20 or 25 miles) but the traffic is brutal, leading to hour or likely worse commutes. I wouldn't do it. I hate even driving downtown to Queens for doctor appts. at 10AM! It was nice having my son on BI for a while so I had an excuse to hop over there and just let my rental car go and go. Here on the mainland, I'll drive 100 miles for an "event" (see sister or daughter, hit Costco, etc.) YMMV

The whole of Connecticut is only ~ 100 miles east to west and ~50 miles north to south (actually smaller than the State of Hawai'i), so there's no need to drive far here.

Mine was just about 2.7% for the last 12 months, that included a few trips with the RV which gets rather poor mileage. Excluding those trips, it was about 1.1%.

The whole of Connecticut is only ~ 100 miles east to west and ~50 miles north to south (actually smaller than the State of Hawai'i), so there's no need to drive far here.

At least YOU can drive to another state!:LOL: In CT, "Interstate" Hwy means something. In Hawaii, not so much.

Usually we fill up a mid size car at Costco every other month, so gas isn't much of a budget item for us. We live in a big metro area near a state park, which makes hiking, shops, post office, etc. all pretty close. We also make good use of the local commuter train system for outings, like museum visits and concerts.

Last edited:
3% of our total spend for the last 11 months was for gasoline.

+1. About 2.5%. That is why the fixation of the general public and some friends have on gas prices is almost comical. Much bigger things to fret about.

+1. About 2.5%. That is why the fixation of the general public and some friends have on gas prices is almost comical. Much bigger things to fret about.
Yeah, but if we didn’t, prices would be higher because gas stations wouldn’t compete so furiously.

I think it’s more of American knee-jerk reaction to prices posted on big signs.

Plus less well off folks - it can be a much larger part of their budget.

Yes - like how much the extra cost of fuel translates to anything delivered, produced, processed, manufactured, heated, cooled (during storage), etc., etc. But YMMV.

This last month it was so high I did not track it. < peeks through fingers over face> YIKES!

Back
Top Bottom