Votes: 56 18.5%
  • 20% or more but less than 25%

Votes: 43 14.2%
  • 25% or more

Votes: 48 15.8%
  • I / We don’t own

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
21% including cash value of pension: London property isn't cheap, but you can downsize (or even 'upsize') about an hour's journey away for a lot less....which is the plan once I'm FIRED. Or I could buy a castle in Scotland....:)

It's lowish, paid off, but I don't live in a mansion.

10-15% - one of the consequences of living in a city (Hong Kong) where housing is very expensive.

We still have about 4 years to go on the mortgage and currently plan to take out a smallish new mortgage for additional investments once the current one is paid off (assuming mortgage rates remain lower than the yield on equities and bonds).

I was a little amused by 10-15% being the "sweet spot" since when we bought 2 years ago in Reno it would have been about 13% and is now about 18.5% due to large appreciation (assuming we sold now).

I was a little amused by 10-15% being the "sweet spot" since when we bought 2 years ago in Reno it would have been about 13% and is now about 18.5% due to large appreciation (assuming we sold now).

I mentioned this as well. It's something not lost on the tax man as our RE taxes continue to rise. Those renting out their units in our building have been able to raise rates by a third in the past few years. I would say we were in "bubble" territory, but most of the toxic debt was wrung out in the last housing bubble-burst - which we barely experienced. I guess it's true what they say that "they're not making any more land." (heh, heh, except on the Big Island!) YMMV

We are about 12% in suburban Southeast. We downsized when I FIRED 3 years ago. Prior to the move and FIRE, we were about 22% on a lower NW and more expensive house.

FN

Mine is around 14%

I was just looking at my parents and realized 60% their NW was likely tied up in real estate. They didn't mean for that to happen as they had bought 40 acres of abandoned farmland in 1974...fast forward and farmland is skyrocketing, add in an inherited 20 acre woods and its easy to skew the numbers without intending to.

Back
Top Bottom