Poll: How Many Credit/Debit Cards in the Wallet/Purse?

How many total credit cards/debit cards to keep in wallet/purse?

• 0 - what's a credit or debit card?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - simple enough

Votes: 21 14.8%
  • 2 - a primary and a backup

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • 3 - a primary, and two backups

Votes: 50 35.2%
  • 4 - four or more, the more the merrier

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • 5 - other, there's always an other option

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
I have more than I thought.
Debit card from the credit union that I only use for atm.
Costco Amex. Love the cash back on that. Just got an annual check yesterday.
Debit card from Schwab - use that when I'm travelling because they refund ATM charges and the credit union has a limited fee-free network. They even refunded the pricey european atm charges.
Capital One Venture visa - miles plus they have the no-surcharge on foreign exchange. I'm close to reward tickets, so for the moment I'm using it more than the amex.

I carry no balance - everything is paid in full each month. But I assume that's typical of this board.

W2R said:
I haven't had a credit card for fourteen years.

I am amazed that you can get by without one! How do you book into a hotel, check in, rent a car, book a flight.......have you completely stopped doing all those things?

I am amazed that you can get by without one! How do you book into a hotel, check in, rent a car, book a flight.......have you completely stopped doing all those things?

No, I haven't. For all of these types of transactions and others I use my debit Mastercard, which has to be accepted anywhere that accepts Mastercard, at least here in the U.S. I don't know if that is true outside the U.S.

Last edited:
When travelling, I take 2. One primary and one back up. When at home country, usually 2 or 3 depending on the promotion shopping offers associated with the cards.

Mine are simply a function of history. Escape by Discover is my main card. VISA is my backup/internet purchases card.

I also have a Sears Mastercard (bot a widescreen at Sears many years ago) and an Amex (to preserve my Membership Rewards points when I retired) and a Discover Cash Back (predecessor main card to Escape by Discover that i never cancelled).

I carry them all in my wallet but I'm not sure why since only a couple get used regularly.

Amex
Visa
Mastercard
Debit Mastercard for CU
Debit/Credit for HSA...haven't figured it out yet
Usually have ~$50 in cash...mainly for farmers market

Visa rewards primary
MC rewards backup
Amex for Costco
Debit Interac for home
Visa Electron debit for Mexico

Back