How many credit cards do you have?

I currently have three personal credit cards, three personal debit cards, and one business debit card. That's 7 cards. I don't like it and will be reducing them to 4 personal cards, and no business cards within a year.

I was wondering how many credit cards people commonly have.

I just have one. I don't even know if there is a rewards program on it. Not interested in money back deals. I guess it's a luxury I allow myself. I'm happy to just find the best possible price, before I buy something, and not worry about points.

Not interested in money back deals. I guess it's a luxury I allow myself. I'm happy to just find the best possible price, before I buy something, and not worry about points.

I have to laugh at myself sometimes- just this past Friday I was rummaging in my purse for the Costco Visa that paid 3% cash back instead of the Fidelity Visa that paid 2%.

The tab was $24.:LOL:

14 open CC for both of us and 4-5 used frequently (BoA, AE, Chase, Discover, Capital One, Wells Fargo and Kols).

DH & I have 11 credit cards and the number will grow. We get credit cards for their sign-up bonus and use the points for trips. We just got back from a trip where 12 days of hotels were paid with points and next spring we are going on a cruise and flying business class to the cruise for a small fee/tax. They are easy to keep track of and the travel benefits are amazing for just buying what we would normally buy.

1. ATM - to get cash
2. Chase Prime - for Amazon and Wholefoods (5%)
3. Chase Sapphire Reserve - for travel and restaurants (3 pts + 1.5 pts when redeeming on Ultimate rewards)
4. American Express Blue Cash Rewards - for groceries and subscriptions (6% back)
5. Bank of America Unlimited Cash - for everything else (2.625%)

I pay $250 for Chase Sapphire Reserve (after $300 travel reimbursement), $95 for American Express Blue Cash, nothing for the BoA Unlimited, and theoretically nothing for Chase Prime, since it's free for Prime members. I get about $2k back a year in cash or equivalent.

Two credit cards. One is used for all of our day to day expenses. Rarely use cash anymore. Mostly for tips. The other credit card is a backup in the event the first card is compromised and I need to shut it down.

One Chase ATM card for getting cash occasionally

PenFed CC - 2% cash back

Capital One for recurring charges only - 1.5% cash back

Amazon Prime CC - 5% cash back (Amazon only purchases)

Valero Gas card - rarely used.

JP Morgan Chase debit card - kept in safe and never used.

No department store cards.

Happy with one. My cash usage is so low I am considering not carrying the debit anymore.

We have four credit card accounts and a debit card linked to our bank accounts. Those are what we carry routinely. Our most-used card in the US is a BoA rewards card, no fee with good rewards. Then we have Costco and BJs cards that more or less pay back the annual fee with rewards. The questionable one is a United affinity card with a high fee that includes United Club membership. We don't really fly united domestic enough any more for this to be worthwhile but it does have some good travel related benefits that I have called on since retirement - principally primary rental car insurance. It also opens up some miles flight inventory, or claims to. So I'm keeping it until after our BTD trips to Australia and Spain.

We have a few special purpose debit cards that we don't normally carry but could use for bill pay etc (e.g. linked to HSA account).

Currently I do have 13 credit cards. I know this is horrible but cannot do much with it, because I'm credit card addict. But with extremely low revolving balance. I used to have more but closed some due to low use.

1. Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards for gas
2. Penfed Power Rewards for everything
3. Penfed Pathfinder for Global Entry
4. Alliant Signature for property tax, insurance and health care
5. Wells Fargo Autograph for travel
6. Apple card for foreign expenses mostly
7. Citi Custom for groceries
8. Chase Freedom rotating categories
9. Discover It rotating categories
10. Fidelity Rewards for everything
11. Andrews Titanium for foreign expenses mostly
12. US Bank Cash+ for utilities
13. Venmo for restaurants

Last edited:
Seems like I answered this exact same titled thread a few years ago. I assumed this was it.

24 between the 2 of us - 3 or 4 will likely be closed in the next few months from recent signup bonuses. Did a fair amount of credit card churning for a number of years there but slowed down some as the card companies have increased restrictions on how often you can get some of the better bonuses. Most spend goes on just a few of the cards while some others (lots of Chase cards downgraded to no-fee Freedom cards) hang around for Quarterly spend promotions. Run through all the logins and check charges and schedule payments around the first of the month, with activity usually only on a handful of cards.

1 Visa card and 1 debit card. Never entered the CC rewards bandwagon and probably left a little change on the table as a result. Chose the KISS principle instead. No regrets.

I have 2 credit cards and one debit card but 99% of the time I just use the one credit card. I don't think I have used the bank debit card for several years and I use the bank credit card at least once a year to keep it active.

This post made me take a better look at the rewards and benefits of each of my cards. There were some I was not taking advantage of. Another benefit of E-R.org!

An Amazon card only for all Amazon purchases for the 3% cashback.

A PenFed Visa only for 5% cashback at any gas station.

An Amex and Citi MC only for concerts that have ticket presales with those cards.

For everything else, a Fidelity Visa card with 2.25% cashback,

I don't do debit cards, cash or checks.

too many TBH

1) Costco Citi Visa because Costco made me get it. I think Costco automatically charges our yearly membership on it, but I'm sure they could do it other ways, like add it to our bill next time we shop there (we give them way too much of our money). We never use it otherwise, even though in theory it's the best card to use at Costco. I don't really want to have to think about what card for what purchase, and my wife is even worse. I recently learned it has no foreign transaction fee, so it may become my backup international card. This is one card I may want to look into more, it might not be that big of a deal to use it more when paying at Costco. Also my wife tells me we sometimes get early access to concert ticket from Citi with this card.

2) Amazon Prime Card Amazon probably gets our next largest chunk of money after costco. It's set up as the default card when buying on Amazon, so it takes no effort/remembering, and 5% cash back is well worth it if you are a prime member. My wife never remembers to use it when shopping at Whole Foods, but it's not a place we shop much at anyway

3) Chase Sapphire Preferred. This is what we pay "everything" with. The one that gets taken out of the wallet, the one that's programmed in Google Pay, the one we give for non-amazon online orders, utilities, etc... If only we could put my kid's college tuition, our mortgage and taxes on it! We have a couple of recurring expenses that either don't take credit cards or charge too much for using a card, so those get paid directly from a checking account, but this is the one that we tried to consolidate points into until about 6 weeks ago. It's also been our main travel card (travel is part of "everything") and is the must-use for car rentals because of its better rental coverage. We've taken a few significant trips either buying flights/hotel through points via the Chase portal, or transferring points to United. this card also has a very generous credit limit, the kind you're in trouble if you ever reach, unless you found a way to put a car on it without extra fees.

4) Citi Double Cash Mastercard. After doing some math, I realized that the mile-per-point or 1.25c per point from Sapphire was not ideal for us. Getting 2% back would be a higher return even if it doesn't feel like you're traveling "for free" as the points card. But then I ran into a number of drawbacks with the Citi card, including foreign transaction fees and other (minor) headaches like its initial credit limit is too low. So this card will go unused in a few weeks when I get my Fidelity card

5) Fidelity Visa. I'm hoping this will become my "everything" card, get 2%, and allow ourselves to look at this 2% as "free travel money". I will likely not actually leave it into an account to use for travel, but will simply use the YTD statement to decide what spending "doesn't count". We'll see, I just applied and don't have the card in hand too. I like the ease of application (instant) and generous initial credit limit,

6) Mileage Plus Gateway. This account has been switched between different cards with United Mileage Plus, but it's my oldest account by far. It's got an insane (for me) credit limit, and it's only used for a $1.99/month recurring charge so that it doesn't get closed for lack of activity

7) Credit Union Debit Card. Used at ATM to get cash, which I almost never do, unless I'm traveling, in which case that's how I get my foreign-currency cash

8) Kohls credit card. In my wife's name. She gets some kind of perks/cash back when purchasing at Kohls so she's keeping in. Not used much. Platry credit limit.

10) HSA Mastercard for medical expenses out of HSA. Locked in the safe and never used, I use my HSA for investments.

I may eventually close the Sapphire Prefered, but it has a nice large credit limit and could hurt my credit score if I close it, so I may keep it and use it for car rental despite the yearly fee. It is the only card I have yearly fee on. I should also reserve a hotel once a year to offset get the $50 cashback to offset the $95 fee

One disadvantage of too many cards is that looking at my "everything" card was a good barometer of how much we're spending this month. Not so much once it gets diluted across multiple credit cards. But I started using Personal Capital/Empower to track my accounts about 2 years ago, and I do think the budget feature is useful to aggregate all cards (and direct from bank account) expenses into one view and one "better slow down, we're spending a lot this month"

American Express: 3% on groceries
Bank Of America Mastercard: 3% on fuel
Chase Freedom Visa: 2% on everything + monthly specials.
Fidelity Visa: 2% on everything. Call this my Internet card, as it's the default payment for all my online accounts.
Home Depot, Walmart, Menards, eBay, health insurance premiums, etc.
Plus a Kohl's card so I can take advantage of special offers.

Last edited:
Too many as well.

Probably simplify to Fidelity (2% cash back) & a local bank CC (4% gasoline, 3% restaurants, even fast food)

Though I do use a gas card that offers a straight 15 cents off per gallon which at current gas prices here does sightly beat the latter.

Jealous of the kids who get their AMEX platinum for free.

1 Visa card and 1 debit card. Never entered the CC rewards bandwagon and probably left a little change on the table as a result. Chose the KISS principle instead. No regrets.

You could be leaving a lot more than pennies behind.

I'm not a big spender, and I get back ~$1,000 on avg each year in rewards.

If I wanted to super simplify, I'd go with my BOA CC which gets 2.6% cash back on everything.

I do have the Sapphire one for travel, and pay the $95 fee, and find the hotel stay credit of $50 very impossible to use so far as not my hotels where I want to be.

I don't use my debit card, as it has less protections, and zero rewards.

You could be leaving a lot more than pennies behind.

I'm not a big spender, and I get back ~$1,000 on avg each year in rewards.

If I wanted to super simplify, I'd go with my BOA CC which gets 2.6% cash back on everything.

I do have the Sapphire one for travel, and pay the $95 fee, and find the hotel stay credit of $50 very impossible to use so far as not my hotels where I want to be.

I don't use my debit card, as it has less protections, and zero rewards.

That credit is very possible to use. Book a refundable cheap (say $75-$90) hotel in the Chase portal using your Sapphire Preferred card for a stay of 1 night 3-4 months from now.

After the $50 hotel credit posts, cancel your hotel booking. You keep the $50 hotel credit, and now you have a $75-$90 negative balance to spend on whatever you please.

Bank of America Premium Rewards - 2.625% everything, $100 air credit
Bank of America Custom Cash Rewards - 5.25% dining
Bank of America Custom Cash Rewards - 5.25% gas
Bank of American Custom Cash Rewards - 5.25% online shopping
Citi Customized Cash Rewards - 5% groceries
US Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities/Streaming
Discover
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred (opened somewhat recently for bonus, will either cancel or downgrade..)
US Bank Altitude Connect - opened recently for bonus. Includes 4 free priority pass visits
Penfed Pathfinder Rewards - keep open for free $100 air credit
Penfed Cash Rewards - 5% gas do not use
AAA card - do not use (used to use for travel when it was a BofA card)
Consumers Credit Union Visa Siganture - do not use
Barclays Aviator Mastercard - opened for bonus last year, will close soon.
Fidelity Visa - 2% do not use
Wells Fargo Active Cash - 2% do not use
Navy Federal Cash Rewards - 1.75% everything do not use
Navy Federal More Rewards - do not use
Alliant Credit Union Visa Signature - 2.5% everything do not use
Amex Blue Cash Everyday - oldest card and keep open for Disney Bundle credit
Fidelity CMA Debit card - free foreign ATM withdrawals
Schwab Debit - free foreign ATM withdrawals

Who knows, there might be a few that I'm forgetting...

Bank of America Premium Rewards - 2.625% everything, $100 air credit
<21 more not listed>
Schwab Debit - free foreign ATM withdrawals

Who knows, there might be a few that I'm forgetting...

Ok, you win! :D Can I ask why so many, especially those you don't use? I make it point of cancelling any cards I don't intend to use in the future.

And don't the annual fees add up? I've got only one with an annual fee (Citibank AA MasterCard) and that was because of the generous sign-on bonus and perks such as lounge access.

Ok, you win! :D Can I ask why so many, especially those you don't use? I make it point of cancelling any cards I don't intend to use in the future.

And don't the annual fees add up? I've got only one with an annual fee (Citibank AA MasterCard) and that was because of the generous sign-on bonus and perks such as lounge access.

I actually finally did close a few last year - BofA Travel Rewards and a second Fidelity Visa (one used to be a Fidelity Amex before it was sold from Bank of America to Elan). I guess i don't see a reason to close them if they don't have annual fees. I started closing because credit card issuers started denying me for cards because I have "too much available credit". I probably could cancel some more that I don't think I'll ever use. I even forgot to mention that I have a USAA credit card- I think having the banking product gets me a slight discount on me insurance with them.

Almost none of my current cards have annual fees. The Premium Rewards has a $95 fee but I receive $100 in air credit that I can use for AA gift cards and it does Global Entry credit, too.

My Barclays AA mastercard was for a sign up bonus, but it will be cancelled before the fee is due, the Altitude Connect has a $95 fee but first year is waived and I'll cancel it before the fee is billed - though I might see some value in keeping it, it has a $30 annual streaming credit and 4 free Priority Pass lounge visits - I just used one in Denver for $28 at an airport restaurant as well as a lounge in Cincinnati.

Sapphire Preferred has a fee, but I'll cancel/downgrade it before the next fee is billed. The rest are all no-fee cards.

Back
Top Bottom