Poll:It's July 2017. When would the market correct?

It's July, 2017. When would the market correct?

• Starting this month

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • In 3 months

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • In 6 months

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Not for another year. Wheeee!

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
I do not know, did not venture a guess, and left the poll unanswered.

In any case, a correction will stir things up and cause some excitement. I can handle that.

How about a bear market (20% decline), instead of just a correction of 10%? Would that be more fun?
Even as a person who has a lot of cash, I don't think of it as fun.

Anyway, since I think there are hundreds of different strategies, I wonder if investors (not me)... develop a "plan"... for market fluctuations, or if it's a matter of following the "news", and making an educated guess.

My former neighbor, during the heydays of day trading, worked his 150K pension buyout into over three million... via a "plan"... less than a year.

Am guessing that some members here also have a "plan"... Wanna share?

:)

I have a self developed variation of buy low and sell high plan :) for a small portion of my portfolio. It worked for the last 3 years, even for 2015 when the market finished down by a few percentage. I was up 16% that year. But I really DON'T want to test it against a prolonged bear market. A correction? I can live with it.

In any case, a correction will stir things up and cause some excitement. I can handle that.

How about a bear market (20% decline), instead of just a correction of 10%? Would that be more fun?

Hardly worth it. I want to see 40-50%

I'll bet we'll see a 30% drop at some point in the next fifteen years. It is why we keep some bonds.

30%? 40-50%?

There will be a lot of teeth gnashing, wailing, crying, sobbing, threatening to go back to work, etc...

That's too much. That's not fun anymore. I don't like to see that. I prefer 20%, thank you.

Last edited:
No plan here, but I did sell my vti shares at 126.26 a few weeks ago and wrote cash covered puts for the exact same share. Strike price is 126. So I might get it back less premium. Ease the pain of buy and hold.

It shows that you, same as many, are still quite bullish. It's better than not doing anything, but VTI closed today at 123.66.

PS. I am still bullish too. That makes me write out-of-the-money covered calls instead of right-at-the-money or below. Yep, it's when most people are bullish that the market is at the most precarious point.

I still have a lot of stocks. Maybe I will lower the strike price for future option trades.

Last edited:
It shows that you, same as many, are still quite bullish. It's better than not doing anything, but VTI closed today at 123.66.
Not bullish, but not bearish either, but my AA is 50/50 and right now I'm 20% in stocks. I just need to keep up with my AA, that's all. Of course if the market takes off from now till 7/21, I lose.

No, you would not lose. You simply will not win as much as you would if you stayed invested.

See how you still act greedy, meaning afraid of missing out? That means you are still bullish, because you are afraid of missing out on a bull run.

I am the same way. And perhaps the market will prove both of us wrong by crashing.

In the next 15 years? Maybe you can narrow the range a bit.

Nope. Wish I could but I can't.
At some point things will get out of whack then hopefully get back in whack. Wish I could know when to whack.

I feel like we're reliving the late 80's except interest rates haven't caught up yet.

Likewise, why would anyone try to predict the unknowable?

I hardly ever trade. Dont rebalance. Call me mister Buy and Hold. I would rather it was up than down, but really doesn't make much difference to me as long as divs aren't cut.

Last edited:
I do know based on extensive research in orientation of watermelon seeds in southern Kazakhstan fields and and sugar content of Moldovan 2017 vintage cabernet sauvignons. To get this valuable information you will have to subscribe to my award winning investment letter at a reasonable $499 per quarter. I will also disclose which foreign market will have a major spike this year based on humidity percentages in Cucamonga Valley and and mating habits of tse tse flys in Senegal for an exta fee of course.

Just listen to the tv pundits...they know all and share all.

Ok I read it, several times:LOL:. I think its above my level, thanks for the link.

Let me try to explain. The strike price is the price you are going to pay. So let's say I wrote a cash covered put for 7/21/2017 for vti at 126 for a premium of 1.25, that means I'm willing to buy vti at 126, subtracts 1.25 premium then that means on 7/21/2017, if vti is higher then 124.75, then I make money. If not then I lose money. If it closes above 126 then I got the premium for free.

Last edited:
Let me try to explain. The strike price is the price you are going to pay. So let's say I wrote a cash coverup put for 7/21/2017 for vti at 126 for a premium of 1.25, that means I'm willing to buy vti at 126, subtracts 1.25 premium then that means on 7/21/2017, if vti is higher then 124.75, then I make money. If not then I lose money. If it closes above 126 then I got the premium for free.

You do this through a broker?

Congrats for those who picked "in 6 months." The market has corrected (or still is correcting).

Hey, I missed this and did not vote.

I still can, but have not.

Should I? :)

Back
Top Bottom