Pondering additional p-t job

palomalou

Recycles dryer sheets
I am planning to stay in my f-t job another year, then hit the parachute. I have the opportunity to do an additional p-t job at 20k for the year. It seems to make less than 2% difference in my Firecalc results. I'd see about 12-13 k of it. I would not much like this job. I lean toward not taking it. Anybody have thoughts about what you would do if you were in my place?

Since you say you wouldn't like it, I would probably not take it.

Are you smoking meth? This is a horrible idea.

I can offer this from personal experience - 6mos. to a year without a paycheck will do wonders to clarify your perspective.

If taking the job would:

(i) make it easier to sleep at nights after FIREing; and

(ii) reduce the risk of falling victim to one-more-year syndrome,

it might be worth considering given that it does swing the FIRECalc meter a little bit.

If all else fails, look on the experience as something designed to make retireing early an even more pleasant experience.:nonono:

Personally, I would not.

If it is something you enjoy doing, go for it. Otherwise, if you don't need the money why knock yourself out working so much now and then not at all in a year?

Or in Buddhist terms, "Only a middle path, avoiding these two extremes, leads to peace of mind, wisdom, & complete liberation from the dissatisfactions of life." ~ Bhante Gunaratana

What do you mean with "part time" ? Do you mean like 10% or 90% of normal workload ? What is the part time % you are comfortable with ?
I am planning to stay in my f-t job another year, then hit the parachute. I have the opportunity to do an additional p-t job at 20k for the year. It seems to make less than 2% difference in my Firecalc results. I'd see about 12-13 k of it. I would not much like this job. I lean toward not taking it. Anybody have thoughts about what you would do if you were in my place?

If you really need the extra money for your peace of mind and you like your current job might it make sense to stay FT for 6 extra months rather than a year at a PT job you don't like?

It's about 10 hours/week. Unfortunately, in academia things work in one-year increments--there is no six months. I'm rather thinking it is a bad idea at this point: thank you all so much for your thoughts!

I think you should take it, just so when you quit you'll never be tempted to do something like that again. volunteering for something you enjoy sound much more fun, doesn't it? :)

I think you should take it, just so when you quit you'll never be tempted to do something like that again. volunteering for something you enjoy sound much more fun, doesn't it? :)

I agree! Sounds like he will hate this job and doesn't really need the money, so he should take it.

My first 2 jobs were fast food and retail...so boring and such low pay that every job after those 2 jobs seem like a piece of cake.

I think you should take it, just so when you quit you'll never be tempted to do something like that again.

Oh, I dunno. That sounds like beating yourself on the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop.:LOL:

No, I would not take a part time job that I disliked. There is enough misery in the world without adding more.

It's about 10 hours/week. Unfortunately, in academia things work in one-year increments--there is no six months. I'm rather thinking it is a bad idea at this point: thank you all so much for your thoughts!

That sounds like a lot of work and how much of the compensation will go to taxes?

I imagine you will be offered a similar assignment after you leave your full-time job, when the money might be nice but taking it would tie you down schedule-wise (at least right now your ft job already ties you down). Have you thought about what your response would be to that potential future offer and apply it to this one?

Back
Top Bottom