Portfolio w/ S&P 500

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Is there a place for the S&P 500 in anyone's portfolio. IF the answer is Yes, why? What function does/will it serve, if any ?

S&P500 fills the US large cap asset class in one's portfolio. It can generally be had at a low expense ratiio. For example VIIIX has an expense ratio of about 0.03%, SPY has e.r. of about 0.09%.

Many folks would recommend using a total US stock market index fund instead of just a US large cap fund. Such a fund would obviously fill the US large cap asset class as well with the additional benefit of giving you mid and small class.

There are other US large cap index funds that could fill this asset class.

If you don't believe in asset allocation and asset classes, then I guess this discussion could be moot.

Yes, I use both the 500 index and total stock market funds for our core stock allocation. Note that they track each other pretty closely.

StockChart2.jpg

I use it as well as it is one of the few low cost mutual funds available in my plan. I flesh it out with the appropriate mid/small cap funds to approach the total stock market with a value tilt in our IRA's and with comparable ETF's in taxable.

DD

Back
Top Bottom