Powerball at $1.3 Billion...dreaming gets bigger

Hugh Hefner is selling the Playboy Mansion for 200 million. The only problem is that it's really an open market reverse mortgage of sorts because it stipulates that he stays in the house until death!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

And is only worth about 30 million, and that's only after a couple of million in renovations and disinfectant.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1452711876.404390.jpg

First private citizen of the Moon.

So, which is better;
The lump sum or the annual draws? Annual would be about $50M a year for 30 years I think. Lump sum about $500M after all taxes.

So, which is better;
The lump sum or the annual draws? Annual would be about $50M a year for 30 years I think. Lump sum about $500M after all taxes.
Annuity would be something like 2.5% during first year and increasing by 5% per year until year 30.

I'd go lump sum. You know what tax laws are now. Also, wouldn't want your annual payments to get delayed (e.g. Illinois).

As for which is better, with annual income taxes at 40%, lump sum comes out ahead if you can get ~4.75% nominal return.

So, which is better;
Gotta take taxes off the annual as well.

At least with the market dropping as it has been this month, I'll get more shares for my money when I invest my winnings!

Mark Cuban said take the annuity, not lump sum.

Mark Cuban said take the annuity, not lump sum.
Annuity option only pays for 29 years. Hopefully, you don't blow all the annual payments.

Joint annuity with 100% survivor that pays $100K/month for a couple of 30 year olds costs around $30M (of course, just divvy it up into smaller chunks). Might be a good idea for income floor, diversification and protection from judgments/creditors. :)

I am considering taking the annuity and not the lump sum. I figure if members of my family are kidnapped, they won't ask for $500M if they know I took the annuity. I can explain to them I can only come up with 2.5% of 1.5 billion the first year.

I'm holding out for 2Billion, cuz that's how i roll.

I didn't win, whew, that's a relief. Lots of low number were drawn and since those are popular the big prize may be split.

I have to admit, I got in a pool with some friends. Our $166 in tickets returned $15. My take is 54 cents. I'm keeping my name.

Well, my office pool had $70 invested (35 chances), and looks like we won back $8 matching two lines with the powerball. Split by the 14 participants, we each get $.57 on our $5 entry. Guess I will still need to go into work tomorrow........

What are the odds that with 2 tickets................................not a single match

What are the odds that with 2 tickets................................not a single match

5 tickets and no match. Last time around I had 3 tickets and no match.

I'm just glad somebody won. At least now I can stop buying tickets.

Well, I didn't win in this universe, but I am quite confident one of me will win in a future universe. Now just need this one to hurry up and collapse so we can get another big bang.

You can do a lot when you have infinity on your side.

News on the radio is reporting that there is a winning ticket sold in California.

Oh well, no boat this year...unless I win the HGTV Dream Home that comes with a boat!

Looks like winners in three states so far. Some happy people in CA, TN and FL.

Back
Top Bottom