Powerball at least 800 million,are you playing and how many tickets will you buy?

ivinsfan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I bought one ticket at the grocery store, but I might have to throw caution to the wind and buy a second one tomorrow.

I just bought two on a lark because there was no line at the Safeway service counter.

We bought one for DW and one for me. She is holding both tickets so I hope she doesn't stiff me when we win it all.

When the lottery gets over ~$300M, I generally buy 5 tickets. At $300M, you could buy every ticket and make money (assuming no splits or taxes...).

DW just purchased 3

One for her, one for the cat, and one for me, in food chain order:dance:

I realized I forgot the most important question for the ER folks. lump sum or annuity.......duck and cover

When the lottery gets over ~$300M, I generally buy 5 tickets. At $300M, you could buy every ticket and make money (assuming no splits or taxes...).

Not really, at $2 ticket and over 292 million number combinations you would need over 584 million jackpot if it were paid in cash, since it is an annuity its paid out over 30 years - to get a cash pot that big (assuming no taxes or splits) you would need more than 1 Billion jackpot to make buying every ticket feasible....even collecting all the sub prizes, IIRC the last non winning jackpot 'only' paid out $65M in lower prizes. Crazy amount of money being thrown about here.

Having said that, I am planning on getting a 10 liner :D

I bought one ticket. For $2, DH and I get to do mental math and dream.

I contemplated buying $2 worth, but then was like.. why am I giving my $2 to a multimillionaire? They can get their own $2 :)

I figure, the first ticket is worth the most, because it increases your odds of winning from 0 (a certainty) to a very small number. The next ticket is worth much less, because the difference between the first small number and the second small one is the difference between very two long shots.

We usually buy one...

I forgot to add that winning the lottery is a major (and final) step in my FIRE plans :LOL:

So fingers crossed that I am able to FIRE on Sunday, heck, I'll even wait till Monday.

I'll pick up a couple of tix. I wonder if you won, would it be feasible to move to another state with no income tax before claiming the prize?

Bought one ticket. I have a better chance of being attacked by a great white shark in ND.

I bought 20 tickets. I know the odds are tiny, but someone eventually will win, so why not me?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I bought 2, DW and me. DW is in a pool at ...somewhere. She's in for a bunch of chances.

Paid $5 for a group buy at work and $4 for 2 tickets for myself and my husband.

With odds of 50/50 (either you win or you don't) why wouldn't I buy a ticket?

I beg your pardon? Is that new math? :)

With a single ticket, your chance to win is 1 in 292 million, or 3.4 x 10^-9, or 0.000000003424.

Conversely, your chance to lose is 0.999 999 996 575.

I beg your pardon? Is that new math? :)

With a single ticket, your chance to win is 1 in 292 million, or 3.4 x 10^-9, or 0.000000003424.

Conversely, your chance to lose is 0.999 999 996 575.
Naw, somethin' wrong with yer calculater either yew win or yew don't :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom