PSA: Soc Sec - Expenditures of the Aged Chartbook 2010

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If you can get past identifying yourself as "aged" (not me!), there's a lot of good information here for you data/chart geeks out there (like me).

I've cut-n-pasted in one chart of many. Our % of spending by category is radically different, and I am sure that will be the case for many.
A tangent but it may be worth remembering these are current/nominal $. Not inflation adjusted so comparing age groups and drawing conclusions about spending less in later years directly from these $ figures is probably very misleading. We [-]beat that to death[/-] had that discussion in an earlier thread.
And hopefully we won't get sidetracked discussing "consumer units" (again). Defined early in the linked doc. :D

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/chartbooks/expenditures_aged/2010/exp-aged-2010.pdf

Attachments

• Expenditures.png
    Expenditures.png
    530.5 KB · Views: 37
Woo-hoo! My main take-away is that I should be spending lots more on clothing than I am, presently. Lands End, here I come. ;) (Haven't my peers heard of the "retiree dress code"? :LOL:)Otherwise, it looks like I am spending about the same or slightly more than others in my same situation.

Briefly scanning the pdf, I couldn't figure out how they dealt with income tax expenditures. It isn't in "other" as far as I could tell. I probably just need to read it more carefully.

(Haven't my peers heard of the "retiree dress code"? :LOL:)
For those needing a reminder:

"Pants? I don't need no stinkin' pants!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Precisely! And don't forget, dress shirts are NOT in accordance with the retiree dress code. An old worn out t-shirt, preferably faded and with the hem coming undone, is preferred for most occasions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom