Question about umbrella insurance

Another big factor in pricing, which I don’t think I saw mentioned is whether the umbrella covers uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. I do remember it was pretty expensive to add UM/UIM when I got my quote. This will vary greatly by state as state laws are all over the place regarding UM/UIM coverage.

At least in my state, if you're injured by uninsured/underinsured motorist, your own umbrella policy wouldn't pay anything. That's what UM/UIM coverage is for.

Allstate in Nyc

Charges $1,898 for a $3 million dollar umbrella policy. I own a one family house, 2 cars, clean driving record. Seems awfully expensive.

Does anyone have a good independent insurance agent who may be able to get me cheaper coverage on a sole umbrella policy?

At least in my state, if you're injured by uninsured/underinsured motorist, your own umbrella policy wouldn't pay anything. That's what UM/UIM coverage is for.

Yes, the UM on your auto policy would pay first just like the auto liability or homeowners liability would pay first and the umbrella would kick in when those limits are exhausted. Some states allow you to buy uninsured motorists coverage on the umbrella as well, which would be excess over the UM on your auto policy.

Just got my renewal for FL. It's up a few cents from last year, $255 for $1mil through Travelers.

Ours is $198 a year with State Farm for a 2 mill limit. We just have the house and 2 cars with no youthful drivers, so it's pretty cheap peace of mind.

I'm no expert and I have no idea. Much depends on the state laws. In the case I mentioned, it involved actually switching drivers and letting the friend drive. The suit was not against the car owner, but the parent of the driver.

There are guidelines to all of this, and then there are actual arguments in court. I wouldn't assume anything.

Sounds like the driver involved didn't own the car and the passenger owned it (and let the friend take the wheel). Presumably the driver was a minor, so they went after the driver's parents.

We have a $3 million policy, but at the end of the day, if the damage/injury is severe enough to warrant a judgement above and beyond the policy amount of $3 million, our assets would still be fair game.

One thing we're currently exploring is setting up one or more Family Limited Partnership (FLP) for our different classes of assets. Aside from being a great tool for estate planning/wealth preservation, it also offers asset protection from creditors for us and our kids. In this day and age, the more protection the better.

I have State Farm and originally bought a $1 million umbrella policy, then doubled it to $2 million a few years later. After retiring, I cut it back down to $1 million when I saw the cost was more than I was willing to spend. Just received a bill for the $1 million policy for 2022 and the price will be $234.

Interesting. I just paid $118 for $1 million coverage from State Farm on a policy I have had for at least 20 years. That is up from $104 the last few years but down from $167 for two of us before I was divorced. I am in a low risk profession (project manager) but my ex-wife was a college professor which, surprisingly is fairly high risk. I've got a couple of tickets and one at-fault accident in the last few years.

So basically, it sounds like you are being overcharged.

I will also throw in the old rule of thumb. The more you have, the more the insurance company has to lose, the more they will defend you.

This is the pragmatic rule of thumb I have always used. When I had little I did not carry umbella insurance because even if I did something stupid, was at fault, and got sued, the plaintiff could get no blood from this turnip. So, no lawyer would take their case.

Once I had substantial assets I took on insurance. Obviously the best approach is to not harm anyone. Drive carefully, treat people carefully and with respect, etc. But I had rental properties...and people can be idiots...and a car accident could go after me assets.

Honestly, a large part of the reason I originally purchased umbrella insurance was for the defense costs.

Sounds like the driver involved didn't own the car and the passenger owned it (and let the friend take the wheel). Presumably the driver was a minor, so they went after the driver's parents.
Yep.

Minor drivers will increase your umbrella.

One other little reminder.

In my state, all accident records are very public. Anyone can search them. Your name, address and insurance is on the record.

From this information, it takes very little effort to find out a whole lot about you, and whether you are worth sueing.

Don't expect to hide.

Just got quotes from USAA: 5 vehicles, house, non biting dog, 23yo driver, and nothing else too weird...$806 for 2 million and $1075 for 3 million!

Another reason for the umbrella...it may well be your (or another family member's) fault.

E.g. none of are such good drivers that we would never miss a stop sign partially obscured by grown-up vegetation on a road where we've never driven before.

So you buy the umbrella to provide compensation reasonable quickly (without the years-long delay of a civil trial) to those you've injured, perhaps permanently.

And as a lawyer's article I saw online years ago noted the reason to buy hefty UM/UIM coverage (he recommended $1 million, either on the umbrella or underlying auto policy) is that most umbrella policies have an "own household" exclusion.

So if mom or dad is driving and causes an accident that injures their kids riding with them the umbrella won't pay.

And as a lawyer's article I saw online years ago noted the reason to buy hefty UM/UIM coverage (he recommended $1 million, either on the umbrella or underlying auto policy) is that most umbrella policies have an "own household" exclusion.

So if mom or dad is driving and causes an accident that injures their kids riding with them the umbrella won't pay.

Thanks for the reminder. I really need to look into this.

In my state, I've heard it is standard for one spouse to sue (or rather claim) certain aspects of insurance from the other in a typical accident. That's an interesting concept!

But UM/UIM is another animal and typical. If you get paralyzed by some bozo without insurance, you may be screwed if they have no (or inadequate) insurance. Gotta look into UM/UIM to cover this.

When your kids reach 18. Title the car they drive in their name and have them insure it well. Not on your policy.

Then, take out an umbrella policy to cover your net worth and sleep well.

I can't get over the trouble folks on this forum spend about a couple hundred bucks over an umbrella policy. You're all loaded or you're not worried about it in the first place. Get the kids on their own and get a big umbrella for a couple hundred bucks.....

I've been looking around and I can't find this mythical couple hundred buck policy for $1M coverage. You guys must live in the desert or something?

When your kids reach 18. Title the car they drive in their name and have them insure it well. Not on your policy.

Then, take out an umbrella policy to cover your net worth and sleep well.

I can't get over the trouble folks on this forum spend about a couple hundred bucks over an umbrella policy. You're all loaded or you're not worried about it in the first place. Get the kids on their own and get a big umbrella for a couple hundred bucks.....

+1

Quibbling over a couple of hundred over an umbrella policy that can protect one's entire NW seems penny wise, pound foolish.

IMO, the biggest risk in having too low liability insurance coverage is that the insurance company will not assign their top attorneys to your case. Umbrella insurance puts that above most homeowner's and auto policy's coverage. Higher Umbrella coverage is better.

Nobody here plans to use the "average life" for running out of money. Therefore, nobody should use the average liability lawsuit as a basis for the amount of coverage you should get. Having the insurance company highly vested in the outcome of a lawsuit is a good thing. Possibly more important than using your net worth as the amount of coverage you sign up for.

Nobody here plans to use the "average life" for running out of money. Therefore, nobody should use the average liability lawsuit as a basis for the amount of coverage you should get. Having the insurance company highly vested in the outcome of a lawsuit is a good thing. Possibly more important than using your net worth as the amount of coverage you sign up for.

We'll said!

For those with an umbrella policy, does anyone have a standalone policy? Or is it tied to your auto or home?

I've been looking around and I can't find this mythical couple hundred buck policy for $1M coverage. You guys must live in the desert or something?
If they are tied to their auto or home policy it could be they pay more for their auto or home than if they shopped companies for just auto or home. With the exception of an umbrella policy I had through work, which was dirt cheap, every other option has required either holding an auto or home with the company to get an umbrella policy issued.

$198 a year with State Farm for a 2 mill limit. Ohio feels more like tundra than desert right now. Prices obviously vary widely by location and risk factors.

I pay half that for 5m, but that under 25 driver kills you.
Yeah we pay 531 for 2m coverage for 4 vehicles and a house and a 22 yr old driver.
However, kind of a quirky policy in that the rate is the same for 3 or 4 people and thus the 22 year old was an add on, so effectively no extra cost for him.

every other option has required either holding an auto or home with the company to get an umbrella policy issued.

That does seem to be the norm with most companies. But what you pay (high or low) for umbrella should be in line with the cost of your home/auto insurance, and that is highly dependent on where you live. Around here it varies tremendously from one zip code to the next. Also, for me the umbrella requires that I have high limits on my auto liability coverage.

For those with an umbrella policy, does anyone have a standalone policy? Or is it tied to your auto or home?

Using my auto/home insurer was much cheaper than buying an umbrella policy from a standalone insurer (e.g. RLI)...but I'm sure that changes depending on the insurer and location.

Back
Top Bottom