Question about umbrella insurance

Umbrella insurance has always been on my to do list that never got done. I suppose my first stop is my current agents GEICO and Allstate.

A couple of questions. I assume umbrella cover lawsuits from rental properties.

How about businesses, I have a partner and he does something dumb or illegal, and the business (an LLC) gets sued?

Umbrella insurance has always been on my to do list that never got done. I suppose my first stop is my current agents GEICO and Allstate.

How about businesses, I have a partner and he does something dumb or illegal, and the business (an LLC) gets sued?

Personal umbrella insurance will not cover intentional acts, criminal behavior, damage caused while you're performing business activities, or damage from certain dogs or vehicle types.

That's the purpose of a LLC...to limit liability of one member for another member's actions.

I still would have an umbrella coverage though, just for the legal representation they'd provide.

Last edited:
Personal responsibility.

When people think of auto accident injuries they often think of the injured person being a stranger in the other car. Just as often it is your passenger who gets hurt. That passenger is likely a friend or relative. I want to have adequate limits to cover their injury if I am negligent in an accident and my friend or family member is hurt.

One online article I can't find anymore stated umbrella policies usually have an "own household" exclusion so if hubby's driving and injures wife/kids in an accident umbrella doesn't pay.

Because of the above the lawyer who wrote the article advocated raising UM/UIM coverage to $1 million, either via the umbrella or on the underlying auto policy.

Renewal for our $1M umbrella policy came today - $104.
$104 is down from $125 last year and $164 each for the 2 years prior to that.

Renewal for our $1M umbrella policy came today - $104.
$104 is down from $125 last year and $164 each for the 2 years prior to that.

Is it location or do you not own many things like boats and property that could drive up the cost? $104 seems crazy cheap, we paid $500 for $1M

Is it location or do you not own many things like boats and property that could drive up the cost? $104 seems crazy cheap, we paid $500 for $1M

Could be location as we live in a rural subdivision, (2-15 acre lots), 30 miles from a major city. Other than house, post frame barn and 2 cars, no other property to cover.

Turns out most folks don't have enough umbrella insurance.

Geico ordered to pay 5.2M to a woman that got HPV in the car of a Geico customer.

She sued, since inside the car is insured, and she WON in arbitration , and like many losers in arbitration Geico took it to court, and was denied.

It doesn't say, but I bet the car owner didn't have $5.2Million in liability coverage..

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/geico-ordered-pay-5-2m-170300926.html

Geico ordered to pay 5.2M to a woman that got HPV in the car of a Geico customer.

She sued, since inside the car is insured, and she WON in arbitration , and like many losers in arbitration Geico took it to court, and was denied.

It doesn't say, but I bet the car owner didn't have $5.2Million in liability coverage..

GEICO wasn't a party to the arbitration proceeding...that $5.2 Million award is against him personally.

There's now a separate legal proceeding to determine if the nature of the claim is even eligible for coverage under his policy.

Even if covered it would be subject to policy limits and given his conduct I bet those are at the state minimum.

Last edited:
GEICO wasn't a party to the arbitration proceeding...that $5.2 Million award is against him personally.

There's now a separate legal proceeding to determine if the nature of the claim is even eligible for coverage under his policy.

Even if covered it would be subject to policy limits and given his conduct I bet those are at the state minimum.

Reading the Kansas news vs the yahoo news does put a different flavor on the sequence of events.

If this stands, wow.... think of all the auto action that is suddenly going to be excluded in policies !

Neither story talks about the liability limit the car owner had, nor umbrella insurance, but at 5.2 Million dollars, which seems pretty firm now... Lots of people don't have that kind of coverage.

I do find that award excessive for a probably curable STD caught while engaged in consensual sex (but not knowing the risk, although isn't it always a risk with a new contact), what would have been paid out for a death :confused:

Reading the Kansas news vs the yahoo news does put a different flavor on the sequence of events.

If this stands, wow.... think of all the auto action that is suddenly going to be excluded in policies !

Neither story talks about the liability limit the car owner had, nor umbrella insurance, but at 5.2 Million dollars, which seems pretty firm now... Lots of people don't have that kind of coverage.

I do find that award excessive for a probably curable STD caught while engaged in consensual sex (but not knowing the risk, although isn't it always a risk with a new contact), what would have been paid out for a death :confused:

Assuming the amount stands, he'd just file BK to discharge whatever excess judgment remains.

Assuming the amount stands, he'd just file BK to discharge whatever excess judgment remains.

It will strip away whatever assets are not protected, and possibly garnish future wages if working.

Maybe he has a huge umbrella and this entire thing was a clever plot by him and his girlfriend :flowers:

It will strip away whatever assets are not protected, and possibly garnish future wages if working.

Maybe he has a huge umbrella and this entire thing was a clever plot by him and his girlfriend :flowers:

Sure, but BK ends (suspends) wage garnishment immediately on filing (BK lawyers advertise that heavily) & with any excess judgment discharged during the BK there's no judgment left afterwards which would warrant wage garnishment.

Last edited:

Does this mean now if someone gets HPV in the bedroom, collecting on the partner's homeowners insurance is fair game? :facepalm:

I'm thinking if I could pin getting Covid on someone, I've found a payday ;)

Don't joke too much about it.

Over the last two years I've had to sign a lot of COVID waivers when working in volunteer groups. It's for that exact reason, these organizations don't want a claim that "pins covid on them."

I learned something about umbrella insurance recently. We reported a crime, the story made the local news. We are now witnesses for the local DA. The perpetrator has taken to social media saying they are going to serve us with a libel and slander suit because they are innocent and have been slandered as a result of the story. I consulted a lawyer and he said the suit would be frivolous because what we said is fact, but here is the interesting part. Libel and slander are excluded from my umbrella policy, but the insurance company has to defend me based on the policy, though they may not indemnify me. Meaning if the suit goes through, highly unlikely and more of a threat from the defendant, the umbrella will defend, though likely not fund, if a judgement happens. Interesting.

I learned something about umbrella insurance recently. We reported a crime, the story made the local news. We are now witnesses for the local DA. The perpetrator has taken to social media saying they are going to serve us with a libel and slander suit because they are innocent and have been slandered as a result of the story. I consulted a lawyer and he said the suit would be frivolous because what we said is fact, but here is the interesting part. Libel and slander are excluded from my umbrella policy, but the insurance company has to defend me based on the policy, though they may not indemnify me. Meaning if the suit goes through, highly unlikely and more of a threat from the defendant, the umbrella will defend, though likely not fund, if a judgement happens. Interesting.

Interesting. Do you mind saying which company the policy is with?
I think I’ll be digging through my policy this weekend.

Interesting. Do you mind saying which company the policy is with?
I think I’ll be digging through my policy this weekend.

Due to it being an active case, I am not going to add anymore, I hope you’ll understand, but it’s a carrier we all have heard of.

Due to it being an active case, I am not going to add anymore, I hope you’ll understand, but it’s a carrier we all have heard of.

I understand.
I just looked through my USAA policy, but not with a fine tooth comb. Didn’t see any specific exclusion like this, but need to read more closely. A project for the weekend.

Thanks for sharing. This seems like a blatant attempt to intimidate a witness.

It's another sad example how easily frivolous lawsuits can be filed against anyone under any pretext nowadays and underscores the importance of having an umbrella policy (even if it only covers the cost of defense in this case).

Best of luck to you on fighting this.

Thanks for sharing. This seems like a blatant attempt to intimidate a witness.

It's another sad example how easily frivolous lawsuits can be filed against anyone under any pretext nowadays and underscores the importance of having an umbrella policy (even if it only covers the cost of defense in this case).

Best of luck to you on fighting this.

The DA told me it is not uncommon for defendants to file defamation suits against a witness because criminal actions and civil actions are separate and the evidence is treated differently.

Back
Top Bottom