Release of final tax bill details

I see the bill includes a proviso which abolishes the mandate that all citizens must have have hc insurance in 2019. The talking heads are all saying this will result in higher hc premiums going forward. Wondering what will happen to hc subsidies?

Assuming that the bill gets to Trump's desk today, It looks like he will sign it on Jan 1st. If done before then, Paygo cost cutting is in effect on Jan 1st 2018. I don't think Trump wants that. If signed after Dec 31st, then that cost cutting is delayed until Jan 1 2019.

It looks like the next Congressional session starts on Jan 3rd so this session must be over by the end of Jan 2nd. Jan 2nd would be day 11 which, if not signed by then, the law gets automatically passed, unless Congress adjourns before then. I'm sure Trump wants to formally sign this bill. At the latest, he would sign it on Jan 2nd only if the bill doesn't get to his desk today.

I see the bill includes a proviso which abolishes the mandate that all citizens must have have hc insurance in 2019. The talking heads are all saying this will result in higher hc premiums going forward. Wondering what will happen to hc subsidies?
Subsidies will go up but unsubsidized policies will become more unaffordable encouraging healthy people to to risk forgoing insurance leading to ever higher rates. It’s called adverse selection. Most HC gurus say it will raise premiums maybe 20% but not kill the markets. We shall see.

The taxpayer (and spouse taxpayer if MFJ) are never considered "dependents" and don't qualify for the $500 credit. If you have older kids in college or perhaps support a parent that you can claim as a dependent - those would count for the credit.

I stand corrected; I believe it was in the initial House version.

...one commentator said that some will take a huge hit as they now have to write down their deferred taxes based on the new tax rate... I think they said one company will have to book $2 bill expense...

According to this story, there's a long list of companies who will take a huge hit to profit due to revaluation of deferred tax assets, led by Citigroup at $23B, whose regulatory capital may be affected as well. GM is $14B. AIG and BOA, $8B.

It's a non-cash, non-recurring write-down that's offset with real tax savings in the future. So this will probably get largely ignored by most investors and analysts. Although some companies may take multiple years of tax savings to offset the revaluation. So those could be negatively impacted assuming it's not already baked in.

Last edited:
According to this story, there's a long list of companies who will take a huge hit to profit in 2017 due to revaluation of deferred tax assets, led by Citigroup at $23B, whose regulatory capital may be affected as well. GM is $14B. AIG and BOA, $8B.

It's a non-cash, non-recurring write-down that's offset with real tax savings in the future. So this will probably get largely ignored by most investors and analysts. Although some companies may take multiple years of tax savings to offset the revaluation. So those could be negatively impacted assuming it's not already baked in.

There is no real “hit” to earnings. Yes it must be reported in the official earnings but that will be a one time shot to revalue the balance sheet. Those companies you all listed all had extremely large loss carryforwards from prior years where they almost went belly up. In many cases the value is only in potential of being bought out and acquiring company could use to offset their income. But the income affect was in applying against future income to pay no taxes and that remains the same. Asset gets written off but there is no real effect. They do not benefit from the lower tax rate until they have gotten rid of all their old losses.

Pundits are saying that Avoiding a PAYGO fight (the rules will force a cut in Medicare and other programs in 2018 if the bill is signed now unless Congress approves a waiver) may be motivating the talk about a signing delay. The cuts and the fight won’t take place until 2019, after the midterms, if it is signed in January.

Last edited:
Assuming that the bill gets to Trump's desk today, It looks like he will sign it on Jan 1st. If done before then, Paygo cost cutting is in effect on Jan 1st 2018. I don't think Trump wants that. If signed after Dec 31st, then that cost cutting is delayed until Jan 1 2019.

It looks like the next Congressional session starts on Jan 3rd so this session must be over by the end of Jan 2nd. Jan 2nd would be day 11 which, if not signed by then, the law gets automatically passed, unless Congress adjourns before then. I'm sure Trump wants to formally sign this bill. At the latest, he would sign it on Jan 2nd only if the bill doesn't get to his desk today.

I am sure that if they want to wait to sign they can hire a very slow delivery person...

He can still claim that you got a tax cut for Christmas...

There is no real “hit” to earnings. Yes it must be reported in the official earnings but that will be a one time shot to revalue the balance sheet. Those companies you all listed all had extremely large loss carryforwards from prior years where they almost went belly up. In many cases the value is only in potential of being bought out and acquiring company could use to offset their income. But the income affect was in applying against future income to pay no taxes and that remains the same. Asset gets written off but there is no real effect. They do not benefit from the lower tax rate until they have gotten rid of all their old losses.

That is debatable.... the earnings will be hit by the write off... and it will affect the capital of the firm... they had an 'asset' on their books (in the liability section IIRC) that they do not have going forward... this was booked in prior years that increased their income when it happened...

Now, I will agree it is nothing to do with operating income and most people will ignore it, but if your capital goes down and it affects other things it might be a problem... I do not know how much excess capital Citi has....

I've always thought that so-called "one-shots" should not be so easily dismissed. These companies all took credits to the P&L as they accumulated these deferred tax assets. Were those credits dismissed? No. So why should the write-off?

Just read this re: signing. Stay tuned.

https://www.pwc.com/us/en/tax-servi...-to-tax-reform.pdf?elq_mid=9356&elq_cid=40982

White House officials have stated that
President Trump wants to sign HR 1
into law before the end of this
year. The actual signing could be
delayed until January 2018 because
the projected increases in federal
budget deficits could trigger
automatic cuts to various federal
spending programs including
Medicare under a 2010 ‘pay-as-yougo’
(PAYGO’) statute. Congress later
this week may waive the PAYGO
requirement for HR 1 as part of a
temporary funding bill that the House
and Senate are considering to avoid a
partial shutdown of the federal
government when a temporary
funding bill expires on December 22.
If the PAYGO requirement is not
waived this week, President Trump
could sign the legislation in January
2018 and Congress would have
additional time to resolve the PAYGO
issue next year before automatic
spending reductions would be
triggered in 2019. Even if the PAYGO
requirement is not waived this week it
remains possible the President will
choose to sign the legislation anyway
on the presumption that Congress will
address the automatic spending cuts
when they return in January.

And with respect to corporate deferred taxes:

The bill proposes significant changes,
as discussed below, that, upon
enactment, will have pervasive
financial reporting implications, both
in the period of enactment and on a
prospective basis. For example, US
deferred taxes will need to be
remeasured as a result of the reduced
corporate income tax rate. For
companies with foreign operations,
mandatory taxation of deferred
foreign income, as well as various
provisions intended to prevent
erosion of the US tax base, may
impact measurement of deferred taxes
and taxes payable in the period of
enactment. Other changes, such as
elimination or limitation of certain
deductions, will impact both current
and deferred taxes on a prospective
basis. Changes in enacted tax law also
will require the reassessment of
realizability of deferred tax assets.

Companies will need to carefully
evaluate the impact that the changes
will have on their existing financial
statement positions, assertions, and
disclosures, in order to appropriately
account for changes in the period of
enactment. For many companies, this
assessment will be complex and will
require significant effort.

Finally found a good summary of the new 199A Business deductions

https://www.watsoncpagroup.com/SubS.pdf

Thanks jetpack. This affects me as well since the majority of my income is K1 income from an S corp.
After a quick run thru, whatever deduction I may receive on the pass thru income may be offset somewhat by the loss of the Domestic Production Activities Deduction...if in fact that rumor becomes true. It's not a total wash but from last years taxes, it would be a little over a 50% loss of the full 20% Pass Thru exemption.

Last edited:
I called my tax assessor' office. The woman I spoke with said I could only pay the part due in April '18 now ($3600) and not the part due next December since it hadn't been billed yet. I'm in CA and our State income tax alone will be $11000 so w the $10k cap on all state/local/prop tax combined, it makes sense to get some extra relief this year. We are in the 28% marginal bracket by about 7k in 2017 so this extra prop tax paid in 2017 will help minimize the part of our income taxes at 28%.

Fewer people will buy health insurance if they don't have to pay a penalty, which will probably increase premiums since it's more likely that older, sick, or at risk people will be the ones buying insurance. And, because health insurance companies still can't discriminate based on pre-existing conditions, they would have to insure someone who went years without buying insurance and then bought when they got seriously ill or developed a chronic condition. This will drive up costs for insurance companies and therefore drive up premiums. And when uninsured people end up in the hospital and can't pay the bills, those costs will be passed on to others and may increase insurance premiums.

My understanding is that the amount of subsidies is based on the cost of the silver plan. If the silver plan premium goes up, so do the subsidies. So, in theory, if you qualify for subsidies, your overall cost shouldn't change. But, if insurance companies can no longer get enough people, especially younger and healthier people, to buy insurance and if they still have to cover CSRs without reimbursement, there's a good chance that there will be many areas of the country without insurers on the exchange. So, if there are no insurers were you live, then no insurance, so no subsidies.

This all assumes that the ACA is not repealed next year.

So, I suppose the answer to your question is "it depends."

I've always thought that so-called "one-shots" should not be so easily dismissed. These companies all took credits to the P&L as they accumulated these deferred tax assets. Were those credits dismissed? No. So why should the write-off?
The “credits” were “earned” when the companies nearly went bankrupt. The value of the credit is in shielding future income from all taxes. Since tax rates go down, companies are being able to keep more money. Since they have tax losses companies, to the extent of their deferred tax assets, do not gain additionally from the tax cut. But there is no financial hit to the company for the tax cut, as the amount of cash paid for taxes is exactly the same — zero. Anyone that was creating a cash flow model is showing the same cash flow for the amortization of the deferred asset as it was showing under the previous tax rates. What they are not gaining is the additional cash flow other corporations are gaining from lower taxes.

DC announced yesterday that they would accept prepayments for 2018 and provided a link to pay online on their website so I paid it.

I keep hearing news folks speculating on the advantages of waiting till the new year to sign the tax bill. But my memory from civics is that the President has 10 days to sign or the Bill is automatically passed (pocket vetoed if Congress recesses). Ten days from now is the 30th.
I wondered the same. My take is that Congress won't go into recess that long, if at all, by having some "pro forma" gaveling in/out days. Reminds me of when Obama wanted to declare that Congress was in recess to make some interim appointments & SC ruled that Congress decides when they are in recess.

I didn’t see it explicitly mentioned in the agreement - well maybe in a present law section - but the Net Investment Income Tax of 3.8% on long-term cap gains assets exceeding $250,000 of AGI for MFJ persists. This was added effective in 2013 I believe as a Medicare surtax as part of the ACA.

Kitces shows this in his long-term cap gains rates where he shows long-term cap gains rates going from 0% and 15% to 18.3% and 23.8% at the higher total income levels.

Last edited:
DC announced yesterday that they would accept prepayments for 2018 and provided a link to pay online on their website so I paid it.

Good for DC and Arlington County, VA that are helping citizens lower their expenses. I haven't heard anything about other counties in VA, but in MD, Prince George's and Montgomery say "no can do" and Howard says "OK". It's up to each county and seems pretty hodgepodge overall. I think some locations just don't want to modify their systems to accept the prepayment which is not unreasonable.

I am sorry I may have missed this in all these posts but I am wondering is the stepped up basis for taxable accounts for heirs still in play? Thanks.

I am sorry I may have missed this in all these posts but I am wondering is the stepped up basis for taxable accounts for heirs still in play? Thanks.

Stepped up basis for heirs is still in effect.

Back
Top Bottom