Retired, now how do I spend the money?

The cheapest part of horse ownership is acquiring one. ;)

Yes, my wife got into mini horses a couple of years ago. There is no problem of what to do with any excess funds anymore, the money just gets sucked into the horsey vortex.

Yes, my wife got into mini horses a couple of years ago. There is no problem of what to do with any excess funds anymore, the money just gets sucked into the horsey vortex.

Buy you have mini-horses, how much could they possibly cost?😂 Sorry couldn't resist.

🐑

Buy you have mini-horses, how much could they possibly cost?😂 Sorry couldn't resist.

🐑
Unfortunately mini horses don't come with mini prices. Tack, different horse carts for various events and all the paraphenalia that goes along with that, fees for horse events, travel to horse events, vet bills, trainer fees and on and on...

I had a vague idea there would be no reduction in cost or the work involved.

Our neighbor has one. I met it out in our barn before I met the neighbors. I grew up around horses and had enough sense to treat it as a stray horse till he showed up.

I've heard a big sailboat (or any boat) does a great job of chewing through cash.

More seriously, after the kids settle down, you might look into that vacation home unless they're close by. We just sold ours but are moving close (within 4 hours) of the oldest and his wife which is close but not too close.
Travel is also a great cash burner.

I'll introduce you to my DW. She'll fix your spending problem in about 3 1/2 minutes.

no kidding . they stole my dw's credit card. i am not even reporting it. the bills have been less.

Your kidding right? Sure travel but how about leaving an inheritance? My goal has always been to build a pile live off the earnings and pass the pile so when the kids can do likewise...

And no we don't deny ourselves...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

DH and I would have been in a similar situation-defined cola'd pensions equal to and actually greater than previous salary (once my SS comes on line at 70). However we could see this coming ahead of retirement and while we plan to leave a healthy inheritance we did want to spend some of our hard earned savings. Sooooo-we increased our lifestyle, gradually, to the point that we anticipate spend in excess of our pensions to the tune of a SWR of around 2 percent give or take. The increased expenditures are in a variety of categories, from pleasurable activities such as travel and entertainment, to charitable giving, monetary gifts to our children and the hiring of outside help to do groundswork, housecleaning and general home maintenance. This last category is an area that we would most likely gradually need to hand off anyway, so we have done it early. We also purchased long term care, (not a small sum) and a second to die policy that builds wealth to help cover estate taxes or if not required, adds to our estate. Once we have grandchildren(God willing) that will open up a whole new category for potential gifting for college funds.

In other words we inflated our lifestyle in numerous ways to enjoy the rewards of our LBYM lifestyle. I suggest you start gradually and you will become comfortable as time passes.

A big enough boat is guaranteed to burn up any extraneous retirement funds.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

That's just not true! I'm very willing to sell you mine so that you can see firsthand how inexpensive a big boat is to own. (no returns, sorry)

:LOL:

Based on the "Where to Retire" thread, just move to CA and all your excess money issues will be solved :D :LOL:

Didn't read all the other replies so sorry if this is already suggested...

How about funding future grandkids college? Even if they aren't here yet. My parents are in a similar situation as you and they contribute A LOT of money to various charities. Which is completely fine and it is their money to do as they please. But sometimes when my mom talks about how my brother's kids are saddled with so much debt for their college degrees and struggling to get it paid down and save for a first home, etc. I think maybe charity does begin at home.

Last edited:
First World Problems...

Attachments

• First_World.jpg
    First_World.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 16
I don't think you are afraid. It may not be your thing. You didn't get where you are by being foolish. I am the same way. I could spend because I could, but I am not like that. I will not retire until I know I can pull 20k a month out at a 2.8 percent return and the money will last for 40 years. Almost there. What will I do if I have that much, be tight with it. It may be in our DNA. I could think of worse things. Your money, your options . Have fun

Are you me :)? This is almost my exact plan, we only differ by a couple of percentage points on the numbers.

Back
Top Bottom